Story Poster
Photo by www.flickr.com

Aggie Flashback with A&M legend Ed Simonini

August 13, 2013

Key quotes from Ed Simonini interview:

"Times change. Player change. But it is nice to be recognized."

"The whole [G.Rollie White] coliseum was rockin' and rollin'. Of course they started with the war hymn and everyone got to 'Sawin Varsity's Horns Off.' I looked up and saw the whole place rocking and sawing... that sold me. I was convinced [A&M] was the place to go."

"R.C. Slocum, he always said... for our recruiting class, they weren't looking for people who had big names; to just look for great athletes... look for someone who is athletic."

"As an 18-year-old kid, the main thing was to get out [on the field] and survive... around my sophomore or junior year is when we really started to realize that we were moving in the right direction and things were taking off."

"You know from the very start, it's about leadership and the guys at the top. When you have guys like [Emory Bellard]... you have a good feeling that this is going in the right way."

"All of the linebackers coming out of A&M have their unique style and their unique way of playing... What Dat accomplished... he stands alone. He stands on his own. I will be honest, I am in awe of him. I am in awe of a lot of the guys over the years. When you talk about Von Miller now and how his career has taken off..."

"I don't look at it as 'Who is the best?' Everybody has played in a different era, time and game. But there are great players out there. It is great to see A&M coming back and I am very proud to see the history and be a part of that."

"We were the best out of A&M at that time. I won't go so far as to say that some of the teams that came out later didn't put out some great teams and great defenses as well. You're not going to get me in to that debate, sorry! But we stand apart... we were very good at what we did."

Discussion from...

13,830 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by wtr1975
Gabe Bock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TERRY L
TAMU74
AG
One of my all time favorite players.
That '75 defense was in a league by itself..unmatched.
Burrus86
AG
Got to meet Ed at our Muster. Great speaker and a very passionate man.
Bien12
CyberWCM
I remember the joy and intensity he displayed from the time he came out of the locker room on game day.
wtr1975
AG
Great Interview!! It brought back the best of memories. I remember the introduction of the recruits at Jolly Rolly my Fish year. I can still see the recruits coming out at half-time of the game. We sang the War Hymn as they sawed horn’s off. My recollection is that the rule was changed on bringing recruits to games for that type of show shortly afterwards.

The ’72 recruiting class ought to go down as the greatest class that A&M has ever had; especially when you compare the recruits with performance on the field and the later NFL draft.

P.S. For those that were there --- Ed Simoniniiiiiiiiii on the tackle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by wtr1975 (edited 8/15/2013 9:18p).]
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.