Story Poster
Kevin Sumlin
B.J. Anderson
Cedric Ogbuehi
Texas A&M Football

Fall Camp Day 2: Sumlin, Anderson, Ogbuehi talk OL & more

August 6, 2013

Kevin Sumlin

On his conversations with Manziel concerning the allegations…
“I sit down and talk to him every day. We’ve had two days of practices, and we talk about a lot of different things. You know, I think as far as football goes, I can talk to you about all of that, but when you’re talking about those types of things, you know there’s not a whole lot I can say about that. We've got a university spokesperson, that’s Jason Cook, and anything related to that issue, he’ll be the guy who’ll answer that.”

On whether Johnny accepted money for autographs…
“I’m just telling you that anything related to that issue, Jason Cook is going to handle that from here on out. If you guys wanna talk about football, we can talk about that. I’m not in a position to discuss those types of things.”

On media’s effect on Sumlin and practice…
“It’s not going to effect me because you’re going to get the same answer from me. We've got a game on August 31st. My job is to get this football team ready to play. Like I said, anything related to that issue at this point, Jason Cook is our university spokesperson for our athletics and university and he will handle those types of questions. That’s the plan moving forward.”

On the players' level of focus the past few days…
“I think it’s been real good. I think the energy’s been great. I think a lot of things have happened over the past week. As I said at the press conference, I thought that the best thing for us is to get back into a routine, to get back with the guys they know, and to get back into meetings. We’re still in summer school, so guys are in class in the morning, it's kind of half camp.

"We’re kind of working around it, but in the afternoons we still have the same meal schedule. Next week we’ll get into some two-a-day practices, but the best thing has been to be around each other and talk through some things and play football. I think the energy level has been good, and I think that not only that, but whenever you have new guys, there’s a new energy, and these new guys've got some juice to ‘em. They’re not backing off any, and that’s creating some real battles within the young guys to play, between themselves, but also with the old guys, and really creating some good tempo in practice.”

On younger players standing out…
“You know, I don’t know. You've got a bunch of young receivers out there competing, and we needed that. LaQuvionte has got real speed. He hasn’t really played on the perimeter that much, but I’ve been really shocked by how his ball skills have been. I thought he would be behind; he’s behind in route running, but he’s not behind in speed. Ricky’s been really really good, he’s 240 pounds, he has been able to do some things. Sebastian LaRue is as advertised.

"There is a bunch of those young guys on the perimeter who are going to have to help us just from a depth stand point, number one, but number two they're talented enough if they can keep coming and learning the nuances. That’s the hardest thing for young guys, not just run the route on the paper, but to be able to adjust and feel things. Those guys are coming along.

"I think defensively, the young D-linemen will get in the mix. We’re going to have to have a couple of those linebackers. I think the big thing coming out of this is our depth on special teams. Last year we had Sean Porter, Jenkins, shoot, nine of our starters either offensively or defensively, Ben Melena running down the field on kickoffs, we just didn’t have enough depth. These young guys are fast enough and big enough guys, athletic enough, I think they are really going to help us on special teams, which helps us on our complete depth across the board."

On Brandon Williams walking in a boot…
“We'll just keep him in a boot for a while, make sure he is going to be all right. You know he had a surgery in the offseason and want to make sure everything is stable. I expect him ready to go the 31st.”

On Taylor Bertolet not practicing…
“You know I don’t talk about injuries or anything like that. We’ll figure that out as we go.”

On Deshazor Everett and Floyd Raven's suspensions…
“No they’re not (suspensions not over). There’s nothing been decided on that. They were released from that part (team activities) a week ago, but there hasn’t been a decision made on where they are with their suspension at this point.”

On need for a backup quarterback, specifically Kenny Hill…
“He’s been good. He’s gotten a lot of reps. Our plan with reps has been similar to last year’s. Really this first week, because guys had the week off last week, giving all those guys a bunch of turns, kind of rotating them through the day, mixing and matching them with a lot of these different receivers. They’re getting plenty of turns. I think the biggest thing we’ve done has been increase the number of team plays at the end, which — because we have a lot more numbers now to evaluate across the board and get our quarterbacks more reps — they’ve all looked pretty good, they’ve all had their moments.

"Kenny’s probably the furthest behind as we move forward this week because of all the stuff that Coach Snyder does. He doesn’t really give us a chance to learn cover 2 and single safety, there’s guys coming from everywhere. But there is good and bad to that. He has handled it pretty well — all those guys have.”

On what Hill brings to the table…
“I think you've got different guys here. Matt Davis can move around, try to create some things, Joeckel is more of a pocket guy, and Kenny’s probably a little bit of both. Those guys have got a little age on him, been in the system a little bit longer — a year longer — than he has. Kid just got here; he’s been here this summer. The thing that helps him, he’s played in a system that’s very similar at Southlake Carroll, so we’ll see.

"Things are happening faster. He threw a field comeback the other day and it got picked off, and I said, ‘Things happen a little bit faster out here don’t they?’ and he said ‘Yeah, Coach, they are. Normally in high school I could make that.’ Those are the kind of things that transition from high school to this level, he’s just got to get used to it.”

On emerging leaders other than Matthews, Hurd and Malena…
“We've got some underclassmen, guys who you expect to lead: Mike Evans, guys who have played a lot of football for us, Cedric Ogbuehi, and so on across that line. Jarvis Harrison doesn’t say a word, he just plays. Kirby has been very good, Jenkins has been very good. We've got some guys who are sophomore, junior class guys who have really stepped forward and become leaders offensively and defensively, and that’s going to be important. We try to develop.

"Every team is different. Last year our senior leadership was very very important to us. This year because of our leadership council, we have tried to spread that role throughout to classes, freshman, sophomores, juniors and seniors to be, and have those classes vote on those guys. Those guys are leaders. It hurts that Brandon (Williams)’s not out there right now, he’s been a leader throughout the summer, and Mike Evans has been a leader through the summer.

"Besides those senior guys, a lot of those younger guys are going to have to help us win just like they did last year. It’s OK to speak up if you played. If you’re a new guy, and a young guy, we’re trusting you with the football every snap or we’re trusting you to make a play, you ought to be able to speak up. Those guys I’ve talked about, I think they’ve done a great job kind of pulling their team together and leading by example.”

On Johnny being a part of the leadership council…
“He’s not part of the leadership council, but he has been practicing very well.”

On guys who look like they’ve worked with Larry Jackson…
“There’s no doubt. Everybody was talking about the look of our team. Our team looks different. A lot of those young guys help that walk in the door 6-3, 225, and 6-4, 6-5. I mean, that changes the look of your team in a hurry particularly when you've got 31 new guys. I think we had a great summer, we only had a couple of guys who in Coach Jackson’s opinion weren’t up to par in the voluntary workouts, which ... that says a lot about your team, because that isn’t mandatory.

"For those guys to come in the summer, it takes leadership form within, and for guys to push them to come there, and guys who want to win, instead of everybody to call each other and try to figure out what’s happening. It’s a culture, and it takes some time. I’m happy they put in the time this summer and I think you can see the difference in a lot of people.”

On Johnny being available for media…
“No I haven’t even thought about that. This is only the second time we’ve met. I didn’t even know I’d be available.”

B.J. Anderson

On how his guys looked physically after a summer with Larry Jackson…
“Good. Our tempo is getting better, so we’re clicking off plays and guys are communicating. We’re in a bunch of individual (drills) right now. We’re just in helmets right now so up front it’s targeting, communication, that type of stuff. We’re looking forward to tomorrow and getting the pads on.”

On the starting five’s level of confidence…
“Yeah, they are all in. Larry Jackson did a great job with them, Monty and that staff. All Larry does is give them the program and they’ve done a great job. They’ve put a lot of hard work in and I see a ton of improvement. It’s amazing where we are now compared to a year ago. I’m excited.”

On the mental side…
“Lots of the first two days from us up front are mental. It’s communication, calls. Coach Snyder is showing us a lot of sets right now and that’s good for us. We’re getting a lot of good reps, today was our day 2 insertion so we’re getting a lot of good reps in. 2 Days of insertion, a bunch of fronts and blitzes, three down, four down, a lot of exotic stuff so it’s been good work.”

On the depth of the O-line…
“I feel a lot better than I did a year ago. (Jeremiah) Stuckey came back about 300 pounds, he’s backing up the left tackle spot. Garret Gramling came in at about 300 pounds, he had a good spring. Ben Compton is a 3-way guy there in the middle, he can play center, and both guard spots. Joseph Cheek has been around here a while, he knows the offense, he’s working to back up Ced O over there at the right tackle spot.”

On Kimo Tipoti…
“We’re going to use him on the offensive line, but he’s also going to be a part of the look (scout) team for our defense too. He’s going to have to do both, learn our offense plus give our defense a look. We’re going to ask him to both.”

On Joas Aguilar’s injury…
“I’m going to let you talk to Coach Sumlin about injuries.”

On why Cedric Ogbuehi is better suited for tackle than guard…
“He’s just got great length and he’s really athletic. Sometimes those inside guys can be burlier and bigger. Their feet don’t have to be as athletic as a tackle because of the space a tackle plays in, Ced’s just perfect for that. He’s really athletic and he’s perfect for that. We ask our tackles to block 5-techniques by themselves. We don’t chip backs and all that kind of stuff. Those guys have to be good on the edge for us out there in space. Cedric and Jake both fit that bill real nice.”

On Mike Matthews at center…
“He’s doing good. I got him to 285, well I say I but I mean he (Mike) got himself to 285 this summer, which I’m pleased with. The key to that was him maintaining the weight throughout the summer. We’ve got a really good nutrition deal going on right now, and the guys are getting good meals in them. If he just keeps eating, we’ll be able to maintain that 285-287 (pound range). If I can keep him there throughout the season, then I’ll be real happy where Mike is. His ability to sustain the physical part of the SEC throughout the season.”

Cedric Ogbuehi

On the level of commitment across the offensive line…
“It’s a big difference from spring and last fall. I feel like we’re all just focused and we have one main focus on our minds, which is winning games next year. It’s a big step from this spring.”

On how excited he is about playing tackle this season…
“I’m very excited. It’s been about three years since I’ve played tackle in high school, so just to get back on the edge again and just be in my natural position, it’s a big deal to me.”

On what changes he has to make transitioning from guard to tackle…
“Just my stance, really. My inside hand, I have to be more conscious of that. It’s really the same; the same big, tough guys out there, so just the stance and the hand placement.”

On if he prefers tackle over guard…
“I like tackle more. The money is a good difference also.”

On if he feels this could be a “money year” for him…
“I’m taking it one game at a time. If I play good, the money will come, so I just got to play good to get the money.”

On what he has seen out of Germain Ifedi…
“He grew as a player and as a person. He’s gotten older, his IQ has gone way up since the spring and summer, but me, Jake, Jarvis, and even some of our backups that have been here for a while are still getting with him, and still teaching him the small things about playing guard in the SEC. It’s gotten a lot better since the spring.”

On which tackle is his hero…
“I like Tyron Smith because he came out kind of not the biggest guy. I like how he plays, he’s physical, he’s long. I look up towards him a little bit.”

On Tyron Smith playing right tackle in college…
“Yeah, he did, so it’s the same thing, kind of. “
Discussion from...

5,919 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by 89Ag4Ever
Gabe Bock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Beau Holder
AG
We're having some issues with the Ogbuehi video, but it will be added when available. The quotes for all three are in there.
SpiralAg
Sweet
89Ag4Ever
AG
Anyone else notice that Sumlin deftly avoided even saying Johnny's name during the press conference? His body language and tone of voice during his response to the question about whether Manziel was on the team's "leadership coucil" also spoke volumes, in my opinion.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.