Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Found a treasure chest of Aggie lore today

267,112 Views | 859 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by sleepybeagle
war hymn aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
since posting on this thread, an Aggie friend sent me a link that he recently discovered. Hope ya'll enjoy!
http://archive.org/details/AggieWarHymnTexasAm

I found this vintage audio version quite interesting & quite different that the version we have heard for many years now.
nasdAg
War hymn aggie, this version is beautiful too!

Reminds me of the Bonfire... those days gone forever...
TDAggie
AG
After a month + of seeing red X's at work, I finally took a look at all of your photos here at the house.

What an amazing collection! You guys are lucky to be the keepers of A&M history. I hope you and your family are able to cherish it for generations. Thanks for sharing with the rest of us.

So sorry for your loss. Gig Em!
Ol Whats his Face
AG
Wow........
Amarillo Slim
AG
Thanks for sharing! It's not often we get the relive history truthfully!
TKMorris
Love the vintage version of The War Hymn! I had a black & white video playing in my head of a few of this season's "did that just happen?" plays, kind of a sped-up Keystone Cops version of the highlights. Perfect music for that.
STARBUCK5
Crawdaddy
rojack
RhinoCrash
AG
Just read all 19 pages of thread. Great read and awesome artifacts of our Aggie history.

Felt this was right place to make my first post.

Look forward to seeing some of these things displayed at the university and showing my kids.
k20dub
Bowlinag
AG
Still get chills when I read this post. Could be the food poisoning though.
RGEAgs
A gift that truly keeps on giving. Gonna read it all again. Starting again from page juan. Thank you so much for sharing this. I really like the old 20's version you linked on page 19. Makes you hear it in the tone of the day when this kind of American popular music was the hip sound. Roots, this whole thread is Aggie roots!
Makes me want to BTHO tu!
agsalaska
3rdGenAg16
AG
this is amazing!
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
In case anyone didn't notice, the 20's version WHA linked at the top of the page is a cover by a jazz vocal group, not an Aggie recording. Still cool.
SilverAg
AG
One day when I'm old I'm gonna tell my great grandchildren that I was on page 19 of the greatest thread ever!
war hymn aggie
AG
update:
Here's a pic of the trunk that I inherited. In it was this horn. I always surmised that it COULD have been a horn from the original Bevo, and my mom fueled my beliefs because she remembered him telling the story about him attending this BBQ, but she could not recall anything about acquiring Bevo's horn.

Fast forward to tonight. As I mentioned earlier, I inherited a bevy of items from my ancestors. One in particular was a book written a couple of years ago by an author named David Metcalf titled "Life Is A Hullaballoo". I enthusiastically started reading it a couple of months ago, but was disappointed in the book, as it was written more like a Hollywood screenplay and not a history book. I persevered and eventually came upon some things that seemed truly credible. Reading more and more towards the end of the book, I began to have more & more questions because the details were something that seemed very credible. In the book my grandfather was basically telling the story of how he came to write the Aggie War Hymn to his good friend, Bill Wilcox of Burnet,TX. Pinky passed the story along to Bill in hopes of Mr Wilcox getting it out to the general public. My grandfather died soon afterwards.

Well, on the next to last page, I came upon something and I truly got goosebumps for the 1st time since watching A&M beat St. Nick & the Crimson Tide last season. ;-)

Here is part of the page that I refer to;

Hope ya'll enjoy this at least a bit as much as I enjoyed reading this.

I will try to get with Mr. Wilcox & Mr. Metcalf to confirm this completely, but it looks like ol' Pinky truly sawed Varsity's horns off and I am the proud owner of this remarkable item of Aggie memorabilia.

[This message has been edited by war hymn aggie (edited 7/23/2013 11:46p).]
war hymn aggie
AG
....it also implies that ol' Pinky was in on the Bevo branding party. Dates match up, but I have not run across anything that verifies this story. Cushing has photos of the Bevo branding party online. Need to revisit those photos to see if I can recognize my grandfather in any of those pics.
SpiderM85
Sandman98
AG
ttt
Yid Army
AG
Wow!!
panhandlefarmer
AG
That is...wow!
Bajan
AG
Holy ****
thebubbaisin
AG
F****** Epic!
BreNayPop
AG
Holeeeee ****
ConLaw
AG
Unbelievable. What an honor.
SECond2noneAgs
AG
This thread becomes even more epic with each additional post, WarHymnAggie. Thanks for sharing.
Bajan
AG
Texags should send out a film crew and go through that chest with you.
Swagmatic
AG
Incredible
valvemonkey91
AG
No words to describe how awesome this is!
Raptor
mpezll
AG
Truly amazing having all that Aggie history. I look forward to additional updates as you dig deeper. Thank you for sharing!
war hymn aggie
AG
Bajan,
It's incredible. Every time I go through it, I find something new. Inherited a little black book from Pinky's A&M days but just a few days ago, I decided to really read wht was written in it. Here is the cover:

As I began to read it, the dates written in the little book matches the dates in the book "Life Is A Hullaballoo".

Here's a sample. Hard to read, as it was written in pencil and it's almost 100 years old.
It's a timeline that my grandfather documented from his WWI deployment and back to his final A&M days:

Also included were many other interesting items, but one ya'll might enjoy was his "scorecard" of the 1917 A&M football results:

Goodnight for now.....gotta get some sleep, as tomorrow is another workday.

war hymn aggie
AG
oh, and still looking for the pics of the Bevo Branding party on the Cushing site but no luck yet. Can somebody help me out here?

TIA

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.