Story Poster
Texas A&M Football

Roland Martin talks A&M football, Manziel, Sumlin, Te'o & more

January 17, 2013

Notes from Roland Martin interview

* There are some basic fundamental things that bother him about the Manti Te’o case. Te’o says he met his girlfriend after the Stanford game, but if he was so awestruck by her beauty, he would have surely taken a photo with her. Another thing that jumps out at him is the lack of phone records between Te’o and his girlfriend while she was in the hospital. He also wonders why Te’o did not request a funeral program or some sort of record from his girlfriend’s funeral. It’s hard to believe that Te’o was the victim of an elaborate hoax when things don’t add up on his end of things.

* The 2012 football season signaled a return to glory for the Texas A&M football program. A lot of young Aggies forget how dominant A&M was in the late 80s and early 90s. At the end of the day, no matter what conference you’re in, winning cures everything. If you want the attention and accolades, the only way to do it is to win more games. In order to become a true national power, this can’t be a one-and-done thing and must continue into 2013 and beyond.

* His initial concerns about moving to the SEC included losing tradional rivalries and the travel impact on the fanbase. The Big 12 has played in seven BCS title games since they began, so if the goal was always to play for a national championship, he never believed that going to the SEC was crucial to doing so. He has not changed his opinion on whether A&M should have left the Big 12, but is certainly glad to see A&M having success in the SEC.

* He believes that conference realignment has not concluded yet and that the NCAA is on the path to forming superconferences. He is concerned with the way money is driving college football because it’s making the game lose its essence by dropping a bunch of great rivalries.

* When presented with questions about how Kevin Sumlin has impacted the African-American community’s relationship with A&M, he likes to remind people that A&M has had an African-American head coach in both women’s and men’s basketball before. The reality is that a university as large as A&M is a microcosm of a larger society, and there will always be issues that deal with gender and race. He is glad with the strides Sumlin and the university have made in the African-American community.

* He was supporting Johnny Manziel in his Heisman campaign on Twitter every single day. The most important thing about Manziel is the infectious attitude he brings to the football program and the school as a whole. Manziel plays the game the way people hope it will be played where it’s not all about the NFL money, but rather the joy and passion you get from playing and winning.

Discussion from...

CNN's Roland Martin talks A&M football, Manziel, Sumlin, Te'o & more

11,934 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by William_C_G
Gabe Bock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CNN's Roland Martin discusses A&M football, Manziel & more
aggiebones
AG
hey, some A&M stuff on an A&M football site. Yeah me.
AggieTFA06
AG
good interview, enjoyed hearing his take on the manti teo scandal

To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
FullDraw
AG
Only thing I would disagree with, that he seemed to omit was a HUGE reason we left the Big12. The longhorns and their insistence on having a hand in everything, the lhn, the fact that NU, CU, Mizzou, and us had a lot of the same reasons and it was part, but not only about money.
RMG8503
AG
Thanks!
pdc093
aggiechugger
water turkey
I was hoping you would ask him which bait that he used to win his last Bass Master Classic.
Cedar Bayou Ag
AG
Great interview, but when I always hear the name Roland Martin, I always think of the angler that has his TV show.
elvisdoc
AG
Isn't this guy the raging Democrat that always acts like a dick?

[This message has been edited by elvisdoc (edited 1/17/2013 4:01p).]
agwin12
AG
Good interview and comments. Thanks for posting!
coupland boy
AG
I would also argue that the league is much more watered down than the last time the big 12 won number two out of five. we had some absolutely great teams that were loaded with talent from 91 to 94. playing the rices and smu's prepared us as much as tcu, tech and tu prepared k-state for Oregon.

[This message has been edited by couplandboy (edited 1/17/2013 5:53p).]
coupland boy
AG
I will say that I agree with the man that we were good this year because of our coaches and players and not simply because we're in the SEC. but the SEC undoubtedly made us better and will continue to do so in the future
William_C_G
AG
He is one of many nationally famous A&M journalism graduates. Too bad A&N ended the program. That decision will hurt A&M once Roland's generation passes on.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.