Story Poster
Texas A&M Football

Cotton Bowl chairman w/ eye-opening info. on selection process

November 30, 2012

Notes from Tommy Bain interview

-A&M's 2012 season has been one of the most fun seasons in his lifetime. The offense is exciting to watch and has proved to be extraordinary.

- Johnny Manziel is beyond what everyone imagined he would be. His progression and maturity over the season is exciting.

- It is a great time of the year for people who work in the bowl business.

- The SEC side of The Cotton Bowl is incredible this year. As of right now, LSU, Texas A&M, Georgia and Alabama are choices to play in Arlington of January 4th.

- If A&M had lost to Alabama, they may have not been good enough for The Cotton Bowl. When A&M beat Alabama, they may be too good for The Cotton Bowl.

- The Capital One Bowl would love to have A&M and a possible Heisman winner just as much as The Cotton Bowl would.

- When it comes to team selections, the SEC office will put pressure on The Cotton Bowl to take the loser of the SEC championship game in order to protect that specific team.

- In regards to the "dream match-up" between A&M and Texas, The Cotton Bowl will not manufacturer or force a certain match-up.

- If OU does not go to a BCS bowl, the Sooners will most likely be in The 2013 Cotton Bowl. If they do play in a BCS game, Texas would most likely be selected. The Cotton Bowl committee will do what is best.

- The conversations about Texas not wanting to play A&M are private. There is a lot of bad blood towards A&M right now. Some members of the Big 12 conference prefer not to play the Aggies. While this may play a role, it will not decide the final outcome.

- The Cotton Bowl is very excited to be a future host site in the BCS playoffs. Every year, it will host a top-12 match-up. Starting in 2015, a semi-final game will be played at The Cotton Bowl every three years.

- He reminisces his dad's (Class of 1927) time at Texas A&M, including the classic story of him and some comrades getting on a train headed to "take care of some business" at Baylor.
Discussion from...

38,320 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by Thisoldporch12
Gabe Bock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
dcj_10
AG
The horns are scared, plain and simple.
sbs
AG
Great interview
AgBeliever
AG
LSU, or maybe Georgia, is going to kill the horns almost as bad as we would have.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
Poooooooooooor t-sips!
usmcaggie
AG
"What's in YOUR conference?"
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Sounds to me like the Cotton Bowl think we are going to Cap One
TxAginAz
AG
The sips are going to be embarrassed no matter what they do. There's no where to run, no where to hide for them. They are going to reap it over the next decade or two. The texas university football Dark Ages has begun.
water turkey
We are going to Cap One Bowl. Get your tickets and Disney World passes.
HoyaSaxa
The feel of this interview was a little more tense than the talk with the Cap One guy. For the Cotton Bowl chief to admit the bad blood in a formal open forum is a huge sign that Texas IS trying to avoid a matchup with A&M.

Sq. Six 89 Ag
You know bowl deals are being struck as we speak. I'm confident that we will beat whomever we play.

I can't wait!!!
Charlie 31
AG
This interview with a Cotton Bowl official proves that there are still discussions by UT and its 9 minions about how "to get" A&M for joining the SEC and ruining their plans for running the conference while getting money and benefits as if they were an independent.

The fact that the Texas vs. TCU game on Thanksgiving night was not well-attended, did not produce much crowd appeal for those who did go to the game, and did not get the same high television ratings as the old Texas A&M vs. Texas games is only proof of how much the Aggies leaving has hurt DeLost Dodds' attempt to control the football world in Texas and the Big XII-2-1+1-1+1.

Gig 'em, Aggies, and Go SEC!

[This message has been edited by MK BQ 89 (edited 11/30/2012 2:14p).]
emiaj02
AG
I will take this as confirmation that the sips don't want to play us. oh well...I would much rather go to Disney World anyway!
FullDraw
AG
Que the "he mad!" picture of Deloss!!
Sabreman
AG
Them "private conversations" with Dodds ain't so private if the Cotton Bowl admits they've taken place. 40 Acres will NOT be happy that little bit got out...

Sabreman '92

speedy
AG
Does anyone know what the tv ratings were for the tu/tcu game on Thanksgiving night? Would like to compare that rating vs the game last year.
gsliva
Gabe forgot to ask if the Longhorn Network broadcasting the Cotton Bowl is part of the discussions with Deloss Dodds and his empire. After all the only things that matter to Texas is it's branding and money. Everything else is details.

Personally I hope if Texas is the team A&M has the balls to say we're not playing those *******s ever unless it's on our terms. Walk out of the room.
LatinAggie1997
AG
Spin coming to an ESPN segment soon.....
aggiebones
AG
Ratings for a Texas versus Texas A&M game at the Cotton Bowl would be very large.
Gap
AG
quote:
Ratings for a Texas versus Texas A&M game at the Cotton Bowl would be very large.

...within the state of Texas...outside of the state the only interest is around our story this year
tex 93
AG
Wow, Gabe basically got him to admit on air that the t-sips have told the Cotton Bowl not to invite them if A&M is invited.

See, I was right after all. http://texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=2214158&page=1&forum_id=5
Aggie GIGolo
AG
I love watching DeLoss and his band of woosies spiral down the drain of irrelevancy.
AggieUSMC
AG
Personally I'd love to see a TAMU vs. tu Cotton Bowl but I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep if it doesn't happen.
ckwarren33
Your athletic dept secks when they deliberately have 'private conversations' with any bowl WELL IN ADVANCE OF BOWL INVITES in order to prevent any single match-up.

TUCK FEXAS. whorns down forever.
monarch
S
I WANT THE COTTON BOWL, even though I hate that stadium. I want scoreboard on them...
Dr. Mike 69
AG
If we truly want to gain national recognition and separate ourselves from our past shadows, then we need to play teams from around the nation, not the same teams we've been playing. We chose to move out on our own. Nobody on a national scale gives a rip if we go back and pound t.u. But, trample on a Michigan, a Florida State, a Southern Cal, et al, and people around the nation begin to recognize who we are. Texas has had that advantage for decades. Now, we have our chance. We gained lots of attention by beating Bama. Now we need some more big scalps.
AG_2006
Jock92
AG
Dr. Mike gets it!
CMSimonton
AG
Unfortunaltely, when you look at the rankings and the way teams are selected, there is NO POSSIBLE WAY for us to play a higher ranked team than us. I was hoping to knock another team down a few notches and once again show the world why we are top 10.

I would, however, LOVE to play in the Cotton Bowl against t.u. (or anyone else) simply because it is close enough that I will be able to go.
AnalogyAg
"There is a lot of bad blood" over A&M right now?

I think it's not so much the bad blood as it is the pee in the pants. If there is any possible way DeLoss' season could get any worse, it's if they play A&M.

They know it. He knows it. His team knows it.
jebeka
Sorry, playing Texas in the Cotton would be great and much better than Michigan. I'm sure there are tu and Aggies that don't want the game, but Most do.

Hope the Cotton Bowl gets the opportunity.

BTHO tu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MR Gadsden
Good analogy, ag.
jaxisback
When you guys talk about great nationally appealing match ups in reference to the Cap One bowl, you realize your almost certainly talking about Michigan, right?

Michigan sucks out loud and everyone in the country knows it. There is scarcely little to gain in playing this rust belt plodder save a trip to Disney World.

The Big XII is the second best conference this season along with the PAC 12. Now that BCS is out, the Cotton Bowl offers our most appealing match up. That is simply reality.
txag72
AG
tu sucks, nothting to do with them forever as far as I'm concerned and especially this year in a no win situation, i.e., beating an 8-4 team means nothing nationally. Beating Michigan is a statement nationally, no matter what their record.
Charlie Wallace
AG
Dr. Mike
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.