Story Poster
Photo by Andrew Kilzer, TexAgs
Discussion from...

Peek inside the world of Larry Jackson

8,171 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by SuperXOne
Rusty Burson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Peek inside the world of Larry Jackson
tex 93
AG
Great write up Rusty.

During last year's second half meltdowns I never could put my finger on why we were having them. But, after his hiring, I remember Jackson saying those meltdowns were due to a lack of conditioning and he knew how to fix it.

So, this season I've watched every single down and always kept his words in the back of my mind. And there is no question he was 100% right about last year's problems and he was 100% right that he knew how to fix it.

Thanks Coach Jackson and Gig'em.

bberry72
AG
I attribute our lack of injuries this year to both coach Jackson and luck. Reguardless, it is part of our late season success.
sbs
AG
Great article!
aggieland09
gigm09
AG
quote:
And you’ll never, ever see me smiling if we are walking off Kyle Field following a loss. As I have reminded our players numerous times—and as you and I have discussed many times—I never lost a game here when I played at A&M. Not one. So, I’m not about moral victories against Florida or LSU, especially at Kyle Field.

Amen!

ABATTBQ11
AG
Pay the man
mycoolwebsites.com
AG
Great, read! Love the article, and job well done to the Larry Jackson and the Aggie coaching staff.
drivinwest
AG
Excellent coach. Love his confidence.
ssolari94
12thDude
AG
Great article, thank you Larry Jackson! You deserve as much praise as anyone for this past season.

As my football coach used to say, "championships are won in the offseason!"

[This message has been edited by TexAg2005 (edited 11/30/2012 9:38a).]
Frag
AG
Love this quote below. I hate when a guy hurts his arm and lays there like he cannot walk. Get the the hell off the field and don't give them the satisfaction they hurt you.

"I just tell my staff that I want to make sure that it isn’t our guys who are lying down on the field. I also tell our guys that if you are lying down on the field, and I think you are fine, then I will come get you myself. You don’t want that. It is a pride thing. It is an attitude thing. You don’t ever want to let another player think he got the best of you. If you are really hurt, that is fine and there is nothing that you can do about it. But we aren’t going to play that game."

Bulltastic
Great Coach and article! However, I worry that the article divulges too much of LJ's philosophy and what could/should be insider info to other programs.

Unless other teams all know this already then why give them an open book into the mind of what I think is one of the best S&C coaches in the business.
timoteo
Give him a raise.
citagg83
quote:
They don’t need me, Chad or Monty to be their friend. There are 100-something players on this team and 50,000 students on this campus that they can have as friends. They need me to be their coach and to push them to where they need to be.

Awesome.
sandman82
AG
Milam County proud!!
Charlie 31
AG
Team and player conditioning is critical to our continued success. Gig 'em, Coach Jackson!!
dttd888
AG
Great piece, Rusty Rusterson.
SABUILDERAG
Bulltastic - I was thinking the same thing.

We need to lock Larry up for a long time.
red_a$$_ag_94
Thank God.
I was doing my Masters degree in 91-94 and I remember never, ever losing a game at Kyle.
It was soul-wrenching to see Fran bring in the one thing Aggies never do - quit - as a core value. I was in the student section during the OU game in 92 when KS & RC dialed up a defeat against #1.

Along with the physical toughness, this staff is bringing back mental toughness - a quality missing from our program for too long.
KS, KK, and JFF have the offense rolling, & Snyder ought to get mention for an award for what he's done with the D this year.

Sounds to me like Coach Jackson is the absolute best man to bring back the WC - and we may start seeing that next season.
Gig 'Em!
Athanasius
AG
This has been stuck in my head... man this guy is awesome.

quote:
I never lost a game here when I played at A&M. Not one. So, I’m not about moral victories against Florida or LSU, especially at Kyle Field.
always gig em
Dr. Mike 69
AG
Lots of folks are getting accolades for this season's success. The most unsung of these may be Coach Jackson. Had his conditioning program been in place here last year, the season's record would have undoubtedly been much better. We had the talent; we were not in condition. This year, it's the other teams whose tongues are hanging out in the second half. Nice job, coach!! As we said in the Army, Hooowah!!
TennAg
he is the single biggest lever in the program...can't wait to see the results compound year over year
Brewmaster
AG
SWAG!

I can't help but think this coaching staff will bring a Natty home!

2 or 3 of our 1st rd juniors stay for their senior year and I think we run the table next year.
LatinAggie1997
AG
Outstanding.
jb_ag_06
AG
" And you’ll never, ever see me smiling if we are walking off Kyle Field following a loss."

I love this quote
txag2014
Terrific article - really shows the importance of building a strong foundation for our team. As well as gave a glimps of the Spirit of Aggieland that can only be told from one who lived it.
SuperXOne
AG
He and Snyder both get huge props for the Bama game -- imagine how it will be when we're as deep as Bama with Coach J's conditioning.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.