Story Poster
Photo by kubashi.com
Texas A&M Football

Archie Griffin breaks down Manziel's Heisman campaign and more

November 29, 2012

Notes from Archie Griffin interview

* The Heisman race is not over until it is truly over. There will be voters who wait until the games this weekend have been played, as well as voters who have already decided their vote. It will be a great race.

* Johnny Manziel’s performance against Alabama is what really started turning heads across the nation.  The fact that Texas A&M beat Alabama, who many people thought were invincible, was extremely impressive.

* Johnny’s scrambling ability reminds him his teammate at Ohio State, Cornelius Green.

* Braxton Miller has had a great season. In the same way that Manti Te’o is the heart and soul of Notre Dame’s team, Braxton is to Ohio State. Ohio State’s success this season has a lot to do with Miller.

* There are rarely seasons where Heisman finalists are either a defensive player or a freshman. It is very important to reward the best player who has had the best season. If a player has that much success so young, their career will only get tougher as they are targeted. It is important to reward the person who deserves it most.

* If Johnny wins as a freshman, Tim Tebow would be a good person to give advice to Johnny because he won the Heisman as a sophomore.

* The advice he would give Johnny is to take control of the things he has the ability to control. Johnny needs to manage all the attention he will receive. The demands put on him will be out of this world.

* The pressure put on him after winning the Heisman was extremely tough. But at the same time, he put more pressure on himself than anyone else did.

* The Bible and his faith got him through the pressure of wanting to win the Heisman again after winning his junior year.

* Johnny will be a marked man whether he wins the Heisman or not.

* He does not get two votes in the Heisman nor does he share publicly whom he plans to vote for.

* There is a possibility that Manti Te’o and Braxton Miller could cancel each other out in their region.  Johnny has a great shot to win, but at the same time Te’o has an edge because he is playing in the National Championship. It could be a year where a defensive player wins it.

* The Heisman ceremony is a very exciting event during a very exciting time of year. The Heisman voting, being a part of college football and being in New York makes it even better.
Discussion from...

Archie Griffin (two-time Heisman winner) talks campaign...

11,674 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by Muffy
Gabe Bock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Archie Griffin breaks down Manziel's Heisman campaign and more
Diet Cokehead
AG
Meh. Gino Torrey-etta's interview was more positive towards JFF.
proudtoknow
What???
His comments speaks volumes to the TINY world people like he live in! How can one possibly comment on things with any credibility without paying attention to what's going on across the entire nation?? He only took JFF seriously AFTER the Bama game!?

Unreal.
Kasey Cheshier
AG
i hear ya proundtoknow... i guess that alabama upset was his break-out game for JF heisman's campaign with the national media. If you honestly ask who is the best player in college this year and made the biggest impact with his team... Johhny Football is the man! Hope he wins! - interesting article...great job Gabe!
tiger08
We were a two loss team going into Bama and everyone expected is to lose. Most people started to pay attention to us after that game. Don't be surprised it was like that for anyone outside of the SEC world. Beating bama put us on the national stage for the first time in a while.
hornsoff
AG
He already voted, and it did NOT sound like he voted for JFF!
Post removed:
by user
agjo
Times have changed ... he WILL lift it!
Major Appledoosh
Does he get two votes since he won it twice?
Major Appledoosh
I'm an idiot...they addressed that (further on) in the interview. Premature surmization. My apologies.
TxAgswin
AG
Well, there's another vote JFF didn't get.
scrap
AG
I wish he was ask to name his top 3. Johnny will win against the others as long as he is at least in the top 3 of the ballots. I just think there will be a few voters that may try to manipulate the ballots in a way that leaves Johnny out of the top three.
agjo
Griffin doesn't want to vote for JFF because AG knows Johnny Football has skills to win more than one and AG wants to remain being the only one to win it twice. That competitive nature and athlete's ego is still in him.
Muffy
Arch only gets 1 vote. I think you should get 1 vote for every one you win.

Archie is really, truly, a nice man. He is a good person through and through.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.