Story Poster
Photo by Jason McConnell, Aggieland Illustrated
Texas A&M Football

Exclusive: Ryan Swope reflects before final home game

November 22, 2012

Gabe Bock: Ryan, you’re preparing for your last game on Kyle Field. What are your emotions right now as the day is approaching?
Ryan Swope: “Right now, I’d say me and all of the seniors, we’re coming to the end of things … the end of Monday practices, the end of Tuesday practices. Emotionally, it’s actually tough to deal with and it’s sad that we’re going to be leaving such a special place. Obviously we get to share a very memorable senior year together, beating Alabama, and some really special moments in there, but at the same time, it’s coming to an end.

“It’s sad and I’m going to miss these guys. I’m going to miss Texas A&M and everything about it, so we’re just going to make the best out of it and try to beat the hell out of Missouri and finish right.”

GB: Let’s go back to this special year. When you look at it, you probably couldn’t have even imagined when you made that decision to come back that it would be this good. You had the feeling and dreams, but some of the things that are still on this table for this team, even if you had dreamed it, you might have had to wake up laughing, like A&M could have a Heisman trophy winner, A&M could win ten games this year, A&M could go to a BCS bowl game. This special season could only get more special if you win that game on Saturday, obviously, but it’s been a great year.
Swope: “It has been. I look back to last season when we got done with the bowl game, and I was debating whether to come back or not and I just had a feeling. I just followed my heart and I knew it was to come back and play one more year for Texas A&M. I couldn’t be happier with my decision. Like I said, there has been so many great highlights of the season, and not only that, but we’re playing in a league that no one thought that we could play in.

“I think that we just earned a lot of respect this year and it was just really special to be a part of and to kind of experience all the new venues that we get to go play at, and win at those venues. Overall, it was an unbelievable experience.”

GB: As your decision was approaching last January, murmurs were trickling out that it was tilting heavily toward the decision to turn pro and you had a big decision to make. How close were you actually to making the decision to go pro, and what was the primary factor that did draw you to come back?
Swope: “I was very close, and I’d wake up one day and I’d tell myself that I was leaving, and then the next day I would tell myself that I can’t leave this great place. I had to come back and finish it and experience the SEC, and experience these new coaches and experience all the change. I thought it would be good for myself to experience change because that’s something that you’re going to have to deal with in life.

“The reason that made me want to come back the most is Kyle Field. Those fans, that 12th Man, the traditions, everything about Texas A&M is why I came back. This place is unbelievable on game day. The fans are unbelievable on game day. You get chills walking on that field, and it’s going to be really tough walking on that field one last time on Saturday.

“I know I’ll be pretty emotional and I know a lot of the guys were talking about how emotional it will be, but that’s the one reason that really made me want to come back and experience it.”

GB: When you look back upon this season, you’re averaging about 100 yards in SEC play since Florida, and a touchdown per game, but it didn’t start out that great for you, individually, this year. A couple of games in, was your feeling like, “Did I make the wrong decision?” What really changed for you? There was a point in the season somewhere along the way that your trajectory really flew.
Swope: “I think it was the first three non-conference games where I was really worried. I obviously wasn’t sure if I made the right decision, but I knew that God had a plan for me, so I told myself that I had to stay positive. I had to go out and I had to compete. You’re playing at the highest level you can possibly play at in the SEC, so I told myself that I had to step my practice habits up one more notch, I had to step my film session up one more notch, I had to get in the playbook and do the little things that were going to help me be a better player.

“By doing that and going out to the practice field with a mindset of, ‘I’ve got to get better today,’ that has helped me throughout my senior year. It helped how I’ve contributed on the field against these SEC schools, so I tip my hat to these coaches pushing me. Coach Kubiak pushing me, all those guys that have been there on my side pushing me through practice, that’s really helped me a lot. It’s been just a great experience and a lot of fun.”

GB: It’s been poetic, the way it’s worked out, then the two unbelievable catches that Aggie fans will never forget, late in that ball game to help A&M clinch a victory over Alabama, and then celebrating with the team, celebrating with the band and being on that pillar. That moment had to be one that you never forget, not only winning in Tuscaloosa, but that celebration with your team in that locker room and those fans that came out to support you guys and to get that monumental win.
Swope: “That was one of those things … I was on cloud nine for a couple days there. It’s something that will stick with me for the rest of my life, to share that with my teammates in Tuscaloosa and to share that with the fans that were there, and then come back to College Station and see what kind of support we had waiting for us. It was unbelievable and that will stick with me for the rest of my life, and that’s just one of the coolest things about Texas A&M.

“We really do have the best fans in college football. To come back and see thousands and thousands of fans lining up, just to shake your hand and be there to support you, it gives me goosebumps just thinking about it right now. It was just a great win, one that will stick with me and this team for a very long time. I was just very excited to be a part of it.”

GB: Let’s close with “At Random.” Three random questions, and I couldn’t let you get away without talking about Johnny (Manziel). Johnny and the Heisman trophy, it’s starting to look like he’s got a great shot here. What does he have to do, and what do you have to do to make sure he’s not thinking about that, and that he finishes the deal here? He’s got an opportunity here that will live in glory at A&M forever.
Swope: “Johnny’s got a great opportunity for something that hasn’t been done but only one time. The thing that I tell him is that he has to stay focused here. We’ve got a shot at a BCS bowl and we’ve got a chance to do something that this school has never done before, and obviously he’s got that same opportunity, but I know what kind of player he is and he’s going to come out and he’s going to stay focused for our football team and he’s not going to worry about the Heisman right now.

“I think the rest will take care of itself and, as long as he comes out and practices hard and practices with a good attitude, doesn’t get complacent, then I think that everything might work out for him, but he just has to stay focused here and keep playing like he’s playing.”

GB: Random question number two … the records. They keep falling for you. The catches record. This isn’t something that a running back comes to A&M and, when he gets here, he thinks that he’s going to be the all-time receptions leader at A&M. But it just kind of happens with all the sweat in the bucket and everything else. When it does happen, which a lot of them have happened for you, how special is that?
Swope: “It’s very special. It’s a very humbling moment for me, but I look at those records ... they’re individual records, but I look at those records and I thank my teammates for them. They put me in this spot to achieve these records. I’ve got the best offensive line in the country who gives Johnny the time to throw me the ball, so I tilt my hat to those guys. I tilt my hat to Johnny making plays, (Ryan) Tannehill making plays.

“I’m surrounded with good football players that help me achieve these records, so it’s very humbling and it’s awesome that I can share this with my teammates and obviously share it with my family and it will be something that I never forget.”

GB: Finally, the haircut. The Swope Swoop, the ‘Bama Bangs. You were SEC ready long before A&M made the decision to go over there, but you fit right in in that league, and now everyone thinks it’s so cool. Spencer Nealy is taking credit for being first, but I know the truth. I interviewed you back in high school and everyone on Austin Westlake’s team, you couldn’t pick you out of the lineup, but you set the record straight here. You were the guy that started ‘Bama Bangs at Texas A&M.
Swope: “I like to take that credit and I think I’m going to steal it from Spencer. I think Spencer tried to take the ‘Bama Bangs swag from me, so I’m going to try to take that back, but ol’ Spencer, you’ve got to give him credit. He’s been playing some good football for us, he’s fun to watch, he’s fun to listen to when he’s on the podium because he’s quite the character up there, but it’s been fun sharing this senior year with Spencer.

“He’s one of my really good buddies. I’m so proud of him and of his accomplishments on the field, and he plays with a motor out there and he’s so fun to watch. We feed of off each other on the sideline and you’ve got to play with emotion in this game. He’s done great and I can’t wait to see how he does in the future.”

GB: You’ve got great hair, better hair, and pretty good celebrations, but his celebrations are second to none.
Swope: “They’re unbelievable. They’re great.”

GB: Ryan, we appreciate everything that you’ve meant to this school and the time we’ve been able to spend with you throughout your four years.
Swope: “Thank you. It’s been an honor and it’s been great getting to know you guys.”
Discussion from...

1on1: Ryan Swope reflects before final home game

10,670 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by 1stGenAg15
Gabe Bock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Exclusive: Ryan Swope reflects before final home game
TKMorris
Man, Ryan, you are going to leave a big ole hole in Aggie hearts when you leave. I'm so proud of your determination to give it that mythical 110% every week. Good luck!
GuatemalanAg
AG
Ryan Swope is a true leader, nothing but class!
Reload8098
AG
I've been watching Aggie football since 1960 and my favorite player is Swope.
RAB83
AG
Some of the most memorable plays Swope made, IMO, are when he never touched the ball. The guy's made some hellacious blocks. He's an unselfish player and the definition of a complete football player.

By all accounts, Swope has also been an incredible mentor for JFF and some of the younger players. He's a leader.

Gig 'Em
MikeyElko
AG
Reload is friggin old!

Just kiddin army, I agree the guy is an animal.
Papa Joe
AG
Gig em, Ryan!
Flawed
AG
great interview, Gabe. Thanks and Gig 'em, Swope.
Shooz in Katy
AG
Ryan, you're my favorite A&M receiver of all time, even if you do have turrible alabama swirl hurr. I recommend a mow-hawk for the NFL. BTHO mizzou!!
Y2K Ag
Great career, kid! Here's to continued success in the NFL. We'll miss you.
Jack Squat 83
AG
Thanks for being such a great Aggie, Ryan. You're tremendous level of play has brought a lot of joy and pride to this old Ag.

I wish nothing but the best for you and your family in the future. Gig' Em!

Mrs.TServo
Ryan, we have so much respect and appreciation for you as a player and as an all around good guy. In my opinion, you are one of the irreplaceable ones. You'll be missed. Good luck!
sleepybeagle
AG
All the best!
hornsoff
AG
Toughest player since Mike DeNiro and Larry Stegent, Bill Hobbs, and Harvey Ashenbeck!
aggiejred
AG
Gig 'em Swope. Thanks for the heart and energy.
1stGenAg15
AG
Gig 'em, Swope! Loved watching you on the field!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.