Story Poster
Photo by Andrew Kilzer
Texas A&M Football

Sam Montgomery unplugged … on Manziel, Aggies

November 18, 2012

Jordy Culotta covers LSU football for 104.5 ESPN in Baton Rouge. Contributing for TexAgs.com and TexAgs Radio, Culotta grabbed a quick one-on-one with All-American defensive end Sam Montgomery ... by far the most outspoken opposing college football player in the nation when it comes to supporting Johnny Manziel for the Heisman Trophy.

Montgomery shares with Aggieland why he has such great respect for "Johnny Football" and the Aggie program as a whole.

On Johnny Manziel and the Aggies' success in year one of the SEC…
"A lot of people wondering why I like Johnny Football and why this defensive end is all hyped up on Johnny Football. It's not because we beat them. It's not because they beat Alabama. But people [need to] understand that you have to respect talent [of this magnitude]. This kid came from the Big 12, jumped in to the SEC and has had a dominant season? He deserves some kind of award.

"Heck, if I get an award, I'll give it to him. I came out my first year off of a knee injury and I dominated the SEC. We dominated the SEC. [Johnny] came through Texas A&M and he and his squad are dominating the SEC. They're winning a lot of games against teams that have been known to be naturally physical. And he's running on them. He's passing on them.

"The SEC is supposed to be the toughest conference ever. So a newcomer with his new squad — and new coach — comes in and does better than most SEC teams. So they have earned the respect of not only me, but if you don't recognize and then you open your eyes, they've earned the respect of the SEC. To go into peoples' house and take it over. To come into peoples' house play physical as well as play their own style of football."

On how he became a true believer in Aggie Football…
"I didn't really think that they could hang [when they first entered the league]. I didn't think they could hang … I'm not even going to lie. If you're in our league, prove me wrong. Prove me wrong. Some peoples' doubts were not all negative. Some of our doubts were like, 'I don't think you want any of this.'

"But they've proved me wrong, and therefore, they have all of my respect. I've been tweeting at Texas A&M people, 'Gig 'Em,' and 'Go Aggies.' I've become a true fan of their football and the style that they play.

"Some people might feel salty about it or not agree with it, but I respect newcomers that come into this league and make an impact. When we play out of conference, we win most of the time. But for somebody to come in and make an impact like that, this is where you belong. And I'm glad that they're now home in the SEC."
Discussion from...

Sam Montgomery unplugged … on Manziel, Aggies (audio fixed)

25,269 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by sf04
Gabe Bock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sam Montgomery unplugged … on Manziel, Aggies
Gabe Bock
AG
Audio added! A MUST-listen!
Reveille
AG
Awesome interview
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DecadePlan
AG
Great stuff. This kid is a class act.
Bandit87
AG
Very cool. What a great attitude.
Pierce County Ag
AG
Dayuuuuuum!
Baron Von Karbach
AG
thats awesome
ToddyHill
AG
Great interview!
lefty2000
AG
Agree. This guy's got a good perspective and attitude.
Flawed
AG
Loved the interview. Wish nothing but the best for Sam.
AgEngr12
AG
It's very difficult for me to hate LSU with their top defensive player giving us so much praise. Damn you Sam Montgomery for making me turn a new leaf!!!!!
timoteo
He's only being honest.
ABATTBQ11
AG
HATE LSU!!!
ABATTBQ11
AG
Love Sam Montgomery
Ian Neff
AG
Loved how Sam ended that clip -

"This is where they belong, and I am glad that they in the SEC now."

Good dude.
tbirdspur2010
AG
That's just a whole lotta class right there.

Geaux Sam!
nukeaggie2000
Woodlands aTm
Kyle04
AG
Wow! LSU has replaced tu as our rival. But how am I supposed to hate them when they say such loving words?

[This message has been edited by Kyle04 (edited 11/19/2012 1:22p).]
DPTaggie
Good stuff!
Agprd
AG
Awesome!
TGoll09
AG
Big props to Sam Montgomery for giving his honest opinion. I wonder how much flak he has gotten from LSU people for supporting a rival team's QB?
Gabe Bock
AG
Audio fixed on mobile and you can now download it by clicking on "download" above the big photo on the main site.
AggieDusty
LatinAggie1997
AG
Great kid!
AggieTravis12
AG
Classiest thing I've ever heard from an LSU player/fan
phatpat21
Wow, awesome interview
Sounds like he would be an Aggie if we recruited him right now out of high school!
Y2K Ag
Sams a good one. Sounds like he almost wishes he were an Aggie.
the12thman97
AG
That is cool
Lateralus Ag
AG
That's a man that speaks his mind, does it respectfully, and shows what true sportsmanship is.

I am now a HUGE fan of Sam Montgomery.
Pluto88
AG
quote:
Wow! LSU has replaced tu as our rival. But how am I supposed to hate them when they say such loving words?

Haha
AG_2006
deadelephant98
Statboy203
sf04
http://rivals.yahoo.com/alabama/football/recruiting/player-Sam-Montgomery-74390

He had a hell of an offer list.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.