Story Poster
Texas A&M Football

Clay Travis busts Texas & states his case for Manziel

November 16, 2012

Notes from Clay Travis interview

* He believes that Johnny Manziel is the best and most electric player in college football this season. The argument for Collin Klein is based on laziness of the Heisman voters, and Klein is nowhere near the best player in the country this year, nor is he the most important player to his team. The Heisman should go to the best player in the country, regardless of who he plays for. Klein’s Heisman candidacy is simply a function of the Wildcats being 10-0. If Kansas State was sitting at 8-2, no one would even be bringing his name up for consideration.

* There is no doubt that Manziel’s performance against Alabama was the best ‘Heisman moment’ of the year. The only real argument that the Klein supports have is the fact that Kansas State is undefeated. He uses the fact that Manziel is on pace to have a better year than Cam Newton and Tim Tebow as ammunition when people ask him why Manziel should win.

* Having a game on December 1st benefits Klein because people who normally are covering other teams will be able to watch Klein play, whereas Manziel won’t be on the field because A&M doesn’t have a game that weekend. That can cut both ways however, because if Klein doesn’t perform well in front of everyone, it could hurt his chances at the trophy.

* Texas is trying to take a strong regional brand and turn it into a national brand through the Longhorn Network. A&M’s decision to wed themselves to the strongest brand in college football is a much stronger play than the Longhorn Network could ever bring. The Longhorn fans are slowly starting to realize the magnitude of A&M’s move to the SEC through things like television ratings.

* He believes that Ole Miss and Tennessee are two programs that could really make some noise in the SEC in a few years. If Tennessee is able to make a good hire this offseason, then they should be able to get back to being Tennessee of years gone by. At Ole Miss, Hugh Freeze is recruiting really well and has the chance to step up and make some noise in the west.
Discussion from...

13,312 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by Gabe Bock
Gabe Bock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
schmendeler
AG
he's always spot-on
lonestarofdavid
I personally just hope K-State loses one of its games...or both...I'm cool with that too.
timoteo
Go Johnny.
nukeaggie2000
Vepp
Anyone else getting a runtime error?
97Gal
Dr. Mike 69
AG
Vepp, yes, it took me three attempts to log on. I finally just rebooted the computer, and it worked.
Gabe Bock
AG
It's fixed now. The back end publishing system was down for a couple of hours.
Charlie 31
AG
Clay gets it:

"Texas is trying to take a strong regional brand and turn it into a national brand through the Longhorn Network. A&M's decision to wed themselves to the strongest brand in college football is a much stronger play than the Longhorn Network could ever bring."

SEC! SEC! SEC!
LatinAggie1997
AG
Es bueno.
Kemo Sabe
The beauty of all this is that in the bevousa 10 league the horns controlled the print and radio media. Anything positive that a&m was doing was met with negative comments and backhanded compliments by the sip media in the past.

That has all changed now. They are still trying to degrade our accomplishments locally, but they are now being called out by national and sec media outlets. They are coming across as schrill and butthurt at A&m's success.

The garbage they have been spewing is now being handed back to them.
dreyOO
how can you not be a big fan of this guy?
Lateralus Ag
AG
Here's an observation;

Gabe and Billy have subtly changed over this season. Earlier this year and all of last year it seemed there was a "we can be really good" chip on their shoulder. I had the same feelings.

You guys have really taken it to the next level in your radio show. There's a very dynamic sense of confidence oozing from the broadcasts and radio interviews. Good job this year guys. Really good job. I am looking forward to the rest I the season and the bowl game.

I am ecstatic about next year. Gabe, I MIGHT even buy some stars.....holy sheeeet!
ElephantRider
AG
quote:
I am ecstatic about next year. Gabe, I MIGHT even buy some stars.....holy sheeeet!
Gabe Bock
AG
LA...are you serious? That would be a shocker!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.