Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Aggie band showed Ole Miss

7,459 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by ABATTBQ11
lakeside aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Our FTAB put on a tremendous performance last weekend. Ole Miss plays Auburn this weekend, but they will not allow the Auburn band to perform at halftime. They say they have too much scheduled during halftime. In the many years I've followed college football, I've never ever heard that the visiting school would not be allowed time for their band to march. One of the comments was,"the A&M band would be a hard act to follow". That goes without saying. Congrats Aggie Band on a job damn well done.
aremd
homecoming stuff
The Collective
AG
Yea, it's their homecoming
headshrinker
AG
Yep, the band was spectaculor and Ole Miss fans stayed in their seats to watch them. Absolute precision all the way, despite the bad weather.
rocky the dog
AG
FTAB. Wins another halftime.
AgBQ07
AG
It's typical for visiting bands to not perform during homecoming weekends. Nebraska did this in '04 and asked if the band would still make an appearance before the game. The FTAB doesn't march pre game shows.
Rock582
AG
Homecoming - what's that?
West Point Aggie
AG
^
|
it did during the '06 Holiday Bowl...
The Collective
AG
quote:

Something pretty much every college and high school in America has.
3rdGenAg06
AG
quote:
Ole Miss plays Auburn this weekend, but they will not allow the Auburn band to perform at halftime. They say they have too much scheduled during halftime. In the many years I've followed college football, I've never ever heard that the visiting school would not be allowed time for their band to march.

07 already got it, but yes, as I recall we were planning on travelling to Nebraska but they refused to let us play at halftime and the powers that be decided a pregame performance wasn't worth the trip. Disappointed we never got to see Memorial Stadium...but we DID travel to Jack Trice!
AnalogyAg
Trice? I didn't realize they even went once!
LiberalRepublican
The stupid on this thread gives me AIDS
Bockaneer
AG
quote:
quote:

Something pretty much every college and high school in America has.

I thought that every game was homecoming at Kyle Field.
RodneyThomas86
AG
quote:
it did during the '06 Holiday Bowl...

'99 Sugar Bowl also
Agustus Caesar
AG
OSU has done that to us before, but allowed us to play a pre-game drill. but was rumoured that pickens help pay part/all of our travel expenses.
The Notorious A.G.G.I.E.
AG
We also did a pre game before the Big 12 championship in 97 and 98 and I think the Alamo Bowl in 99. We even had a joint performance during the Cotton Bowl 97 with the UCLA game.

But generally no pre game for away games.
SEC_ag14
Bock
Aggieland Proud
AG
Seems as if over the past 10-12 years, we've been the team selected too often by our opponents for homecoming weekend. You typically pick a homecoming opponent that you have the best chance to beat, thus you don't damper the atmosphere. I hope we're past being the homecoming designee in the future!
ag-bq-seventy
AG
quote:
The stupid on this thread gives me AIDS

No, it was the $10 gay sex on 8th Street in Austin that gave you Aids.
Martin Cash
AG
I think it was in '74 that the Tceh band told us they weren't coming to the game at Kyle.

About Wednesday ABC picks up the game for TV. Tceh decides they want to come now. (This was back in the days when TV actually showed halftime) The section where the visiting band usually sits had been sold, so they had to sit on the track and bi*ched about it forever.
Quad Dog
AG
I'm pretty sure that both times I went to OSU we had to play before the game because it was homecoming.
NCAG
AG
In the ACC it is common for the home team to refuse time for the away band. UNC does not allow NC State to perform at their game. I had never heard of that other than for homecomings.

I can't think of a time that A&M did not allow the visiting team to march if they chose to. Sometimes visiting teams don't bring the entire band.

NCAG '88
Winston-Salem, NC
ESL / IYACYAS
Brazos Ag 1970
AG
If Ole Miss doesn't want our band at future performances, it would save us some good jack.
NaturalStateReb
quote:
Our FTAB put on a tremendous performance last weekend. Ole Miss plays Auburn this weekend, but they will not allow the Auburn band to perform at halftime. They say they have too much scheduled during halftime. In the many years I've followed college football, I've never ever heard that the visiting school would not be allowed time for their band to march. One of the comments was,"the A&M band would be a hard act to follow". That goes without saying. Congrats Aggie Band on a job damn well done.

Allowing the opposing band to march is actually pretty unusual in the SEC and depends on what the home team has scheduled for halftime.

I was in the band at Ole Miss and only remember marching at an opposing home stadium twice: once at Alabama and once at Tennessee.
The Notorious A.G.G.I.E.
AG
Reb- that's not how the FTAB rolls.

Away games I went to as a member of the Aggie band

Texas
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Baylor
Texas Tech
Texas Stadium- vs UNT
Kansas State
Kansas
San Antonio- Big 12 championship, Alamo Bowl
St Louis- Big 12 championship
New York/ NJ- Pigskin Classic vs Florida State
Shreveport
New Orleans
Hattiesburg, Miss
Nebraska
Notre Dame
Streetfighter 02
AG
quote:
The FTAB doesn't march pre game shows.

This wasn't uncommon when I was in the band. I know we marched pregame at Ok St during their homecoming at least once.
NC2001
AG
quote:
Away games I went to as a member of the Aggie band

Texas
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Baylor
Texas Tech
Texas Stadium- vs UNT
Kansas State
Kansas
San Antonio- Big 12 championship, Alamo Bowl
St Louis- Big 12 championship
New York/ NJ- Pigskin Classic vs Florida State
Shreveport
New Orleans
Hattiesburg, Miss
Nebraska
Notre Dame

I think C/O '01 had a very good travel our 4 years in the FTAB. Not a football game, but we even marched at the Presidential Inaugural Parade our Zip year.
BQAG02
AG
They do pre-game shows at bowl games.
coloradoag69
AG
I was in the band from '65 through '69, and also filled in a couple of games at the end of the seasons the first two years I was in grad school, so I guess I really am an "old" Ag. At that time, we didn't travel very far - I never went to LSU and to Tech only once. But we never did pre-game shows except we participated at the pre-game Cotton Bowl game in Jan. '68, but we also did the halftime show as well.

Perhaps because a lot of the travel distances in the SEC are relatively far and the enthusiasam for bands is lower, the bands don't travel as much as we got use to doing recently. I know that the folks in charge of the FTAB fund are trying to get an endowed fund large enough to allow the band to travel, ideally, to every out of town game. That's a huge amount of money, but as I understand it that's their goal.
ag-bq-seventy
AG
Yeah, that pre-game cotton bowl performance in Jan '68 was the pits. Cold, wet, hungover.
A2Aggie60
AG
Okie State one year didn;t have their band on the field at half-time. It was homecomning and the entire time was spent giving awards to different groups.

Aggie Band was on pre game.

Out

"Never forget who we are or where we come from, never forget the Aggie Code of Honor and never forget Duty, Honor, Country." President Gates
sportsfreak1975
It happens sometimes. Instead of saying that the other band can't do their thing, they have been known to let march/play prior to the game.
ABATTBQ11
AG
quote:
The Aggie Band would be a hard act to follow

I think the team followed it pretty well.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.