Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Origin of nickname "Johnny Football"

23,332 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by HECUBUS
BaseballFan04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does anyone know where the nickname originated? Did he have the nickname in HS... or was it someone here on TexAgs that gave him the handle...

The female commentator in the Arky n Auburn game just called him that.. Thought that was pretty cool.
MisterJones
AG
Gabe was working on researching it. I think he found the first time it was used on TexAgs, but concluded that it started in high school. Someone correct me if I'm wrong
Lateralus Ag
AG
I remember him being called that when we were recruiting him. I may be misremembering though.
always gig em
AG
It was I who assigned him that now famous moniker. He shall forever be knownst as such because of me.

I'm coming out with a tshirt line too. You'll soon see Johnny wearing one that says "always gig em is my hero".
BaseballFan04
Thanks... I've heard commentators/analysts refer to him as that on more than several occasions. You've got to be pretty good for ESPN personalities, and such, to start calling you by your nickname, especially after only 4 games of your freshman year.
SeniorChang
AG
Whats the origin of the word "nickname"?
rocky the dog
AG
MisterJones and LateralusAg are correct. He was known as Johnny Football at Kerrville Tivy. In San Antonio, we were fortunate to watch his highlights every Friday night.
rocky the dog
AG
According to Gabe, Cheeks was the first to post that name on TexAgs.
stetson
AG
I believe his original nickname at Tivy was "Rocket" due to his speed. He played RB, DB, WR, P and eventually wound up at QB midway through his sophomore season. He excelled at every position which gave birth to the nickname "Johnny Football". TexAgs gave him a middle name.
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
i thought his high school coach gave him that name?
FILO505
AG
Origin of "origin"?
mesocosm
AG
I'm still trying to figure out what the second F means in JFF
Dad
AG
quote:
i thought his high school coach gave him that name?

His high school coach came on Texags radio and wasn't sure of the origin of the name or if they even called him that at Tivy.
7thGenTexan
AG
quote:
Whats the origin of the word "nickname"

An eke name (pronounce naamay) or ekename

Middle English for "an also name" or "additional name"
AggiePride07
AG
The middle "F" in JFF stands for freakin' or f***in'

Whichever you prefer.
goodag09
AG
Friend whos gf went to Tivy said his high school nickname was Johnny Badass FWIW
Sid Farkas
AG
Moniker was bestowed by the Almighty....

Srsly tho...how bad azz do you have to be if you play in a football-excellent state like Texas and you get a name like Johnny Football?
jbeaman88
AG
Just found this thread as I am curious as to the term's origin also. KBTX did a little inquiring and produced this article, linked from Johnny's Wikipedia page, in which the PA announcer at Antler Stadium asserts that the he did not have this nickname at Tivy due to the fact that he was also an incredible baseball player. The search continues.
frank zappa
I thought he was given this nick name when he was up for national player of the year?
jbeaman88
AG
Maybe so, Frank. Got a reference or remember where you heard this?
Dad
AG
The first reference on Texags was when he was during his senior football season in high school. I just assumed it came from Kerrville people but they assume it came from aggies.

[This message has been edited by aggie-master (edited 10/19/2012 8:45a).]
jbeaman88
AG
Can someone post a link to the first Texags thread containing this reference?
Quad Dog
AG
I think it's because people can't remember if Manziel is spelled with I-E or E-I.
light em up
As a rare poster, but as someone who follows texags almost everyday, the first time I saw the name "Johnny Football" was on this forum. I don't remember who, but I seem to recall a texags poster annointing him the name.
Texan_Aggie
AG
Wasn't he Texas' "Mr. Football"?
JBsArmy
AG
They called him that in the local paper/local TV in San Antonio during his time in High School
gigemags-99
AG
It was bestowed upon him before the beginning of time.
KLOL101
I am guessing it has some of its origin from this little remembered American Classic moive from 1988.......

quote:
Johnny Be Good is a 1988 American comedy film directed by Bud Smith, starring Anthony Michael Hall as the main character, Johnny Walker. The film also features Robert Downey Jr., Steve James, Jennifer Tilly and Uma Thurman in her film debut. Former Chicago Bears quarterback Jim McMahon makes a cameo appearance. Hall turned down the role of Cameron Frye in Ferris Bueller's Day Off to appear in this film.

Johnny Walker (Hall) is the top high school quarterback prospect who is heavily recruited by many schools. His best friend, Leo Wiggins (Downey), thinks he should hold out for the best offer. His girlfriend, Georgia (Thurman), wants him to go to State with her and get a solid education. The colleges offer him everything he could possibly want — girls, cars, cash, free room and board, etc. Although he has all the skills a coach would want in a quarterback, he is unsure where he wants to go. Although Johnny lives with his mother, grandfather and younger brother and sister, he is offered everything and anything by every interested college except for the local State College.

trailer -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAniQ0cPRBM
AgGermany
AG
JFF is on his birth certtificate. Look it up...
Aggies
Started in High School --
jbeaman88
AG
Aggies, do you know when and how it started in high school? Was it the students?
MissingHomeAg
AG
It was given to him by Chuck Norris when he beat down Chuck Norris with a football. True story.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Birth Certificate
txtomster
"I came up with Johnny F Football"
Al Gore
aggies_bro81
When he was still in High school, I remember Joe Reinagel from Kens5 used to call him "Johnny Football" when showing highlights from the Kerrville games.

[This message has been edited by aggies_bro81 (edited 10/19/2012 9:53a).]
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.