Story Poster
Texas A&M Football Recruiting

A&M's first entry into 2014 market is a great one

August 22, 2012

With most of the hay already in the barn for the Class of 2013, Kevin Sumlin and the Aggies are already looking ahead. On Wednesday, A&M officially entered the 2014 race by adding one of the nation’s most highly-regarded junior cornerbacks.

Skyline standout Cedric Collins ended the process early, choosing the Aggies and the opportunity to play SEC football over Nebraska and Baylor. At the time of his commitment, Collins also held offers from Notre Dame, Oklahoma, TCU, West Virginia, Houston, Ole Miss, Kansas State and Texas Tech.

“It’s been a long time coming,” explained the newest addition to the Aggie family. “I just felt like it was time. I talked to Coach (David) Beaty, Coach (Marcel) Yates and Coach Sumlin.  Coach Beaty started off talking to me about how practice was going and then I told him (I was committing) and he was really excited.”

The SEC was really big for me. As a player, you know you have to bring it every night when you play in that conference. That conference is known for its great corners. I can’t wait to play in the SEC and I can’t wait to play for the Wrecking Crew. - Cedric Collins {"Module":"quote","Alignment":"left","Quote":"The SEC was really big for me. As a player, you know you have to bring it every night when you play in that conference. That conference is known for its great corners. I can’t wait to play in the SEC and I can’t wait to play for the Wrecking Crew.","Author":"Cedric Collins"}
As you might expect, both Yates and Sumlin shared Beaty’s excitement.

“Coach Yates started talking about winning games and making a name. He was waiting for it. Coach Sumlin told me that it was about time I made the call. He was really happy that I made the decision and was talking to me about what we can do to bring the Wrecking Crew back.”

When asked why the Aggies beat out the rest of the field and why A&M was his wire-to-wire favorite, Collins cited something old and something new.

“The SEC was really big for me. As a player, you know you have to bring it every night when you play in that conference. That conference is known for its great corners. I can’t wait to play in the SEC and I can’t wait to play for the Wrecking Crew. I already rep that AggSwagg.”

Other key factors in Cedric’s decision were the 12th Man, several current Aggies and future teammates and the A&M coaching staff.

“When you go down to Texas A&M, it’s not just the coaches and the players but also the people around the town. They are so supportive of their team and show major love down there. It’s like a big family.

“It helps that I already know some people that are at A&M, too. I know De'Vante Harris, Matt Davis and Sabian Holmes. I know quite a few guys up there, but the main thing with my decision has to do with the coaches and the fans.”

Speaking of familiarity, Collins becomes the fourth Skyline product to commit to the Aggies in as many classes, following in the footsteps of Domonique Patterson (2011), Thomas Johnson (’12) and Kerrick Huggins (’13). He also joins a recent string of high-profile D-FW prospects who have chosen Texas A&M as their college football destination and continues an impressive Aggie run on defensive backfield talent.

TexAgs In a secondary talent pool that the State may rarely see again, Collins' tools and ability have painted him as one above the rest. {"Module":"photo","Alignment":"right","Size":"large","Caption":"In a secondary talent pool that the State may rarely see again, Collins\u0027 tools and ability have painted him as one above the rest.","MediaItemID":18495}
Yes, Yates has loaded up on talent at both corner and safety since arriving in College Station, adding Harris last January and then putting together a very impressive haul in this year’s recruiting race.

In 2014, the Ags will likely be ‘on schedule,’ probably needing to ink no more than three players in the secondary. With a player of Collins’ caliber firmly in the fold, A&M is off to yet another fast start.

The 5-10, 175-pounder is considered one of the ten best players in Texas for the ’14 class and, despite a crop of talent in the secondary that is as deep as anything the Lone Star State has ever produced, is definitely in the conversation when it comes to naming the State’s best pure cover corner.

Collins burst onto the recruiting radar as a freshman, cracking the varsity lineup on a Dallas Skyline squad as loaded with high-end FBS talent as any program in the country. As a ninth-grader, he was named 9-5A Defensive Newcomer of the Year.

As a sophomore last fall, Ced picked up First Team All-District honors after totaling 30 tackles and 13 TFLs and grabbing five interceptions.

An aggressive cover man whose isn’t afraid to get physical with opposing wideouts on the line of scrimmage, Collins is also a very fluid athlete who can turn his hips, change direction and backpedal as well as any defender in the state … including this year’s crop of seniors. 

The ability to excel in run support, shed blockers and make open-field tackles against the quick passing game, plus an uncanny knack for finding and making a play on the football, are why the likes of Sumlin, Bob Stoops, Bo Pelini and Gary Patterson see the junior-to-be as a young defensive back possessing true lockdown potential on the island.

Like most successful cornerbacks, Cedric Collins certainly does not lack confidence … something he’ll bring with him to Aggieland a little less than two years from now.

Andrew Kilzer, TexAgs With the addition of Collins, little doubt remains that Sumlin is assembling an incoming secondary core that help A&M to the SEC's highest level. {"Module":"photo","Alignment":"left","Size":"large","Caption":"With the addition of Collins, little doubt remains that Sumlin is assembling an incoming secondary core that help A&M to the SEC\u0027s highest level.","MediaItemID":20422}
“I’m ready to play in front of that big crowd … especially with all of those crazy fans. I don’t think I’ll be nervous though," he said. "My first varsity game was in Cowboys Stadium and that place is big! But I’ll be there a few times before that, of course. I plan on coming to the first game in College Station this year. I can’t wait for the Florida game.”

For now, Ced’s focus shifts to leading Skyline on another deep run in the 5A playoffs and helping the Ags’ 2014 class grab national headlines.

“Being the first commit (in the 2014 class) is a good thing. You’ll have that label that you’re going to Texas A&M and people are going to come at you on the field. I have to come with it.

“I’m going to try and get the best guys to try and come to A&M with me. I’ve talked to a lot of the guys who have offers already and a lot of guys who are potential offers.”

Though it’s still incredibly early in the process as far as 2014 prospects are concerned, Cedric made it very clear that his recruitment ended on Wednesday.

“It’s a great honor to be able to play for a team like Texas A&M. It feels really good. The recruiting process is over. It’s done.”
Discussion from...

9,441 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by John Dutton
Liucci
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
3rdGen2015
AG
Sounds like a great get for the good guys!
TexGill
AG
Gig'em Ced!
Floppy Leon
dangrimm98
AG
Yes Sir!
LatinAggie1997
AG
Welcome aboard Ced...gig'em!
tex 93
AG
Glad to have you aboard Cedric.

And congratulations to Sumlin and the coaching staff.
slikk24
Good pickup. Welcome aboard Ced

[This message has been edited by slikk24 (edited 8/22/2012 10:43p).]
Charlie 31
AG
AggSwagg amongst the Wrecking Crew! Whoop!!
JMH
AG

JMH
AG

BQAG02
AG
Sounds like he could be the Matt Davis of 2014.
TxnAggieAngler
El Nino in Londontown
AG
"The SEC was big for me"

Yeah, SEC wont help at all with recruiting.
bigag83
chick79
AG
Someone please send this link to Matt Millen.
Halong
AG
Great News Ced! Welcome to Aggieland. Bring back the Wrecking Crew!
Geriatric Punk
Honar
AG
Whoop!
John Dutton
AG
quote:
"The SEC was big for me"

Yeah, SEC wont help at all with recruiting.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.