Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

How many were alive 1/1/88?

6,275 Views | 72 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by Joes
GEA89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That was the date of our last post New Years bowl victory.

Sad isn't it? Facts are facts.
Rocky Rider
AG
Just woke up this morning trying to find something to ruin your day? See a Dr - Try some meds.
GEA89
AG
Awe, upsetting the Aggie Apple Cart for you? Sorry, all is well and we are Building Champions!
AggieBattleAxe
'88...my first year at A&M.

I must've brought the sh*t.
GEA89
AG
We have Juniors and Seniors at A&M who have never seen an A&M post New Years bowl victory in their lifetime. That is simply astounding to me. We have failed for so long, you would think dumb luck would have found its way to us once in 23 years.

[This message has been edited by GigEmAgs (edited 11/26/2011 1:25p).]
Jim Benson 63
AG
The one glitch in your theory is that we did go to the SUGAR BOWL after the 98 season, but it WAS played on Dec 31, 1998.
EaglePassAg08
Samsill98
AG
I don't think it's a glitch 63, I think the key word they're hitting on is victory not appearance.
GEA89
AG
Jim,

You are way off buddy. I said victory, we lost in that game.

And it was played 1/1/99

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_Sugar_Bowl
Turkey 87
AG
Alive? I was there sitting in the cheap seats...it was cold in the first half, but I warmed up in the 2nd!

Sat next to my Dad's '46 roommate....he'd brought in a whole deal of those little airline bottles...35-10 and we were feeling no pain!
SMAggie2007
AG
I was 3 years old.
that poster
I was alive and kicking then. Great win! The players stripping Heisman trophy winner Tim Brown's white towel from him and waving it around in the air like a scalp. I have the official poster from that game... but it's getting a little worn around the edges, like me

That game is also the answer to a pretty interesting SWC trivia question. Any guesses ladies?
Fightin2010
AG
I was two weeks away from being born.
Espa137
EaglePassAg08
AG
I was 2 and had no clue what an A&M or Aggie was!

My favorite color was maroon though... Coincidence?
Mr. Lahey
AG
that was nine months before i was born. my dad must have gotten excited after that game and forgotten to wrap his tool!!
jsbto
AG
5 days before i was born!
BostonMike
AG
I was still sucking the T in 88.
that poster
That game was the last time a SWC team won the Cotton Bowl... period end of sentence. Says something about the watered down state of the SWC in its final years.
Evanhue
AG
I was at that game. We thrashed Notre Dame and their Heisman winner like a rented mule.
TexasAggiesWin
S
I was 5. Good lord, what a poor couple of decades since our last big bowl victory...
Rebbasser
AG
At the game. Back before Jackie almost got us the death penalty.
gwmAggie
I remember that game very well. I hooked up with another Aggies wife after her husband passed out. I still feel guilty about it. I wonder if i am the real daddy of any of you? To find out ask your mom's about the reverse houdini. If she laughs, your the one.
OTredux
How many total new years day bowls have we ever won? 4?

EVA3
AG
I was at that game too. That was the game with the Tim Brown towel incident. It was pretty darn cold.

And yes the Sugar Bowl was played on 1/1/99. I remember vividly because I was in New Orleans for New Year's Eve. I called home New Year's Day and learned that my dad had passed in the night. Obviously I did not make the game.
sharkenleo
I was in my mom's belly.
n_touch
I was 11 and watched it on tv. Being young and from another state, I didn't know much about the school or traditions, but decided that day that it was where I wanted to go and never looked back.

[This message has been edited by n_touch (edited 11/26/2011 3:00p).]
Glass Half Full Aggie 2011
I was -4 months old
YokelRidesAgain
AG
quote:
How many total new years day bowls have we ever won?

Five-all listed below by season (i.e., games played on 1-1 of the next year).

1939 Sugar
1940 Cotton
1967 Cotton
1985 Cotton
1987 Cotton

I guess you could include the 1922 Dixie Classic (1-2-23), if you wanted.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AG GRAD 07
Oeagg11 meet ur dad gwmaggie

[This message has been edited by AG GRAD 07 (edited 11/26/2011 3:20p).]
LaurAg
I couldn't find that exact date, but world population reached 5 Billion on July 11, 1987 & was reported as 5.1 Billion in mid 1988, so I am gonna say that 5 Billion, 50 million would be real close to the actual answer.

I gotta admit that throwing out a tricky question every once in a while to take our minds off of football is one of the things that makes Texags great !

Laura
bert harbinson
AG
That's what it's supposed to be like. Bada$$ coach, confident and talented players, winner's attitude. Even more satisfying that a Notre Dame guy I knew was talking trash before the game---noting that A&M had a couple of players kicked off team, so we'd have an excuse when we lost.
Tressels Vest
AG
I popped out of the uterus the day before, so I probably won't remember it.
petey88
Bucky's team

I was there, it was 37 degrees. A couple of ND fans seated behind, couldn't get over The War Hymn because of so long to the orange and the white

arrogant ND, sounded like sips
Bison
AG
I was there!!! It was cold but not quite as cold as the year before. We had us a good ol' time the night before, got up, had our coffee, and out we went to the game! Only afterwards did most of us pass out early for the night.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.