Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Dodds wants to keep the Big 12 together after A&M leaves

12,151 Views | 81 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by Gone
MaysGrad09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This makes it easier to bolt, since Baylor and Tech won't be ****ed.

Per Chip Brown (OB):

quote:
The latest on Texas A&M, including comments from DeLoss Dodds

Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds said today if Texas A&M leaves the Big 12 to join the SEC, his hope will be that the Big 12 stays together.

Dodds' statement came in response to a question during a luncheon speech at the Young Men's Business League of Austin.

Dodds also said if it meant peace in the Big 12, the Longhorn Network would never air a high school football game.

Dodds asked how many Aggies were in the crowd. When one of the Aggies asked if airing high school games on the Longhorn Network would be an unfair advantage for Texas, Dodds asked the Aggie about the state 7-on-7 tournament featuring high school players on the College Station campus every summer.

Dodds smiled and asked, "Do you know how we feel about that tournament being in College Station?" Then he smiled and said, "You probably don't because we never talk about it."

If Texas A&M was to leave, Dodds said the Big 12 might seek to bring in another school. Dodds also said if there was not sentiment to hold the Big 12 together by the remaining members that Texas and possibly Notre Dame could join forces to create a new conference.

Dodds gave no indication that Texas would pursue the possibility of becoming an independent.

A top administrator at another Big 12 school said the possibility of some Big 12 schools talking to the Pac-12 could become a reality again if Texas A&M was to bolt for the SEC.

In short, everyone in the Big 12 is back in scramble mode until Texas A&M makes clear what its intentions are.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry told The Dallas Morning News Wednesday, "I'll be real honest with you. I just read about it the same time as y'all did. ... As far as I know, conversations are being had. That's frankly all I know. I just refer you to the university and the decision makers over there."

A Texas A&M source with direct knowledge of the Aggies' situation told Orangebloods.com the TAMU regents will be meeting later this month - possibly as early as Aug. 22 - to introduce a new chancellor and deliberate a potential move to the SEC.

A&M president Bowen Loftin has told reporters there is "uncertainty" about the Aggies' future in the Big 12.

The SEC has been largely silent on Texas A&M. And according to one SEC source, the Aggies will have to basically submit an application for acceptance into the SEC (that is expected to be rubber stamped in no time). That process allows members of the SEC to have plausible deniability about any move until A&M's application is submitted.

Two sources in the Big 12 said they've heard the SEC is also interested in adding Florida State to the SEC East.

Sources in the Big 12 say the same political forces that tried to slow down the breakup of the conference last summer are already trying to get answers from A&M about its intentions.

The Texas Legislature is no longer in session. But I was told Wednesday, "the legislators will have something to say about this."

For those wondering how Gov. Rick Perry might factor into all of this, Perry is weighing a run for the White House in 2012.

One source told me a move to the SEC by Texas A&M might help Perry, an A&M graduate and former yell leader, with voters in SEC states.

That's because a move by the Aggies into that conference would help the SEC get into Texas for recruiting purposes. Couldn't quite tell if the source was half-joking. Sadly, the source is probably right.

Several sources thought out loud about why Texas A&M would trade being in the more winnable Big 12, which has an easier path to a national title without a league title game, for a place in the SEC West with the likes of Alabama, LSU, Arkansas and Auburn.

"Texas A&M should be in the top three of the Big 12 in football every year," one Big 12 source said. "In the SEC, they'll fight to be in the top half of the conference every year."

But sources close to Texas A&M say the Aggies are losing faith in the Big 12 as it is currently constructed and have serious issues with Texas and the Longhorn Network.
RhodieAg
AG
The two most beloved football programs of all time. Sounds like a great idea.
aTm2004
AG
Notre Dame? Must be some fancy **** being passed around in Austin.
staedtler
No kidding. They need to buy time before going indy.
tarrantcountyag
'03ag
He really brought up 7 on 7? He really does think we're all idiots.
thats what I do
AG
I think they should keep the Big 12 and add a school with lower-tier sports programs. Let them argue about the "strength" of the conference then.
aggiehawg
AG
Is that official enough? Dodds conceded total defeat, right there.
AJ02
AG
Of course he wants to keep it together. Why wouldn't he? They run the show here, they're in an AQ conference, and have 8 other schools on their knees in front of them
West Point Aggie
AG
that just screams "carefully scripted to react to what A&M is doing"

...the "if it keeps the B12 in place, we'll never air a HS game BS...

...the we'll bring ND into the fold..

you gotta give 'em credit...they are crafty mother f*******!!
Signel
AG
What school in their right mind would join a t.u. ND love fest where they keep all the cash and the other schools get to take a scrap here and there.

I guess baylor would go.
Jock92
AG
quote:
Dodds smiled and asked, "Do you know how we feel about that tournament being in College Station?" Then he smiled and said, "You probably don't because we never talk about it."

Sort of like the way you cheezedicks host the state championships in every other sport but we don't mention it. What an asshat.
tiger08
If A&M was wanting to televise the 7 on 7 on it's own network, then maybe that would be a valid comparison.

And can somebody explain what the legislature can do to stop this?
Stinky T
AG
Aggie in the audience should have asked him if only teams featuring Aggie recruits were allowed to participate in the 7 on 7 tourney or why the high school basketball state championship games aren't rotated between Austin and College Station.

I think the sips are coming to the realization that they quite possibly may have seriously screwed the pooch.
Bird Poo
AG
quote:
He really brought up 7 on 7? He really does think we're all idiots.

What's the story with the 7 on 7 in CS every year?
mid90
AG
because Dodds has proven himself to be such an honest man
Johnny Z
AG
quote:
Dodds asked how many Aggies were in the crowd. When one of the Aggies asked if airing high school games on the Longhorn Network would be an unfair advantage for Texas, Dodds asked the Aggie about the state 7-on-7 tournament featuring high school players on the College Station campus every summer.

What an arrogant *****. This is the only example he can come up with? Uh...one tournament is not the same as an ESPN-backed 24/7 network.
West Point Aggie
AG
Notice the tired "A&M can be top 3 in the B12 but probably no better than top 6 or 7" in the SEC argument...a well rehearsed talking point since June 2010!

the sippies seem really worried!!
Bird Poo
AG
quote:
I think the sips are coming to the realization that they quite possibly may have seriously screwed the pooch.

I sure hope not. It looks like we just won the game of chicken. They seriously thought we wouldn't do it and put all their eggs in the basket of politics thinking they would keep us under their pink boots.
Redstone
AG
They made this damn bed. Have fun UT.
Jock 07
AG
Pretty sure the tournament isn't even on campus, just in CS. That is quite a weak argument.
superag79
If ND and tu made their own conference then by contractual obligations tu couldn't play ND on NBC meaning that game would have to played on lhn and in turn force domers to subscribe to lhn.
Imsodopey
AG
some reason this seems to feel like a smokescreen in an attempt to hide or justify what is going on with the LHN
AJ02
AG
quote:
If ND and tu made their own conference then by contractual obligations tu couldn't play ND on NBC meaning that game would have to played on lhn and in turn force domers to subscribe to lhn.

Maybe it would create some sort of black hole and we'd be rid of both schools forever. One can hope.
superag79
quote:
some reason this seems to feel like a smokescreen in an attempt to hide or justify what is going on with the LHN

Gigemags05
AG
I was going to post exactly what y'all did after reading Dodds' quote.

They host nearly EVERY High School championship. I have NEVER heard an Ag gripe about that.

Having a 7 on 7 tourney on our campus is a far cry from televising our recruits' games on our own network.

Look, I don't blame them for trying to do what's best for them. Is it sleazy? yes. Are they lying through their teeth about almost everything that has gone on? Sure. Oh well.

But they sure do get themselves worked into a frenzy at the thought of us going to the SEC.

I love watching them spew their mindless drivel. In one sentence we are worhtless. The next, they're hacked off that we are leaving.

I love nothing more than to hear one of them say "we're texas." WHO GIVES A CRAP? Have fun playing in the Pac or staying in this crappy conference (if we actually have the balls to leave). Better yet...go independent and play New mexico State and the rest of the mid majors to fill out a crappy schedule to be played on a network that gets fewer viewers than QVC.
Claverack
Georgia Tech left the SEC in the 1960s thinking they could go Indy and become the equivalent of Notre Dame nationally. The end result was a decline that took decades to overcome.

With the inability of LHN to attract cable providers on full display, Texas knows they can't remain viable as an independent. And, due to their deal with ESPN, they can't get themselves into the escape pod and move to a more stable conference set-up.

The only option remaining to them is to rest in the bed they have stained beyond recognition. The Big 12 is the only major conference that will allow them to keep their network as they see fit to run it.
RockInspector
Ah yes, the old "Ags can't compete in the SEC" argument. If you fear failure, you are a pu**y and part of the problem...so be gone.
AJ02
AG
Georgia went independent? I didn't know that. Learn something new every day.
GetThoseKeysMilo
Tech, OU, and Missouri are still fed up. This is not an A&M-only issue. If DeLoss believes the others would march in lock-step he's delusional.
ckwarren33
tu dropped a big terd into the Big-12 pool, and has the chutzpah to ask why everyone is rushing to get out of the water. Those SOBs are full of sheet. Love to see 'em entice Notre Dame into an "alliance."
Stinky T
AG
quote:
They seriously thought we wouldn't do it and put all their eggs in the basket of politics thinking they would keep us under their pink boots.

That is kind of what I meant with my comment. That they may have taken us for granted, and they may end up with the short (or at least shorter) end of the stick when everything shakes out.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
Of course they would want to stay in an easier conference. Best OU, play a cush non-con sked, go 12-0 and play for the NC.

Meanwhile we will play a brutal schedule and go 8-4 or 7-5 and may actually be a better team but it will not matter.

This will be a "careful what you wish for" mistake If we go SEC and tu stays in a weakened Big 12.
aggiehawg
AG
Am I missing something? Isn't the 7on7 exhibition games? Non-sanctioned? Financed separately? Parents cover alot of the costs?

Why would Dodds even think that is remotely comparable?

The condescension of the long-suffering father dealing with an unruly kid. THAT is how we are viewed, by them.
Tex_Aggie
It will be more sip bullsh*t if tu tries to form something from their sick imagination. The Oklahoma teams and TT should go Pac-16. Only Scott might have a chance to tame the whorns a little. If they try forming something new it will be the same sip bullsh*t and maybe worse because A&M won't be calling them out anymore from our totally better home in the SEC. 2012 can't get here soon enough. FU whorns!

Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.