Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

We played a school called the Deaf & Dumb Institute

11,664 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 91AggieLawyer
BoxingAg84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was browsing the All-time opponent standings on Aggie athletics and I thought this was a typo.

In 1904, we beat the Deaf and Dumb Institute 49-0. How is that even a fair game?

All-Time List
http://www.aggieathletics.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/all-time-opponents.html

Box Score
http://www.aggieathletics.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/deafinst.html
MisterJones
AG
What's the big deal? I thought we played Tech every year? /zing
freakwastaken
AG
^ hahaha
cords12
So wait!! You mean Baylor and tech combined teams and we still beat them 49-0??? Wow!!
Hereford12
Welcome to the world of tomorrow
retinag
They used a lot of silent counts.
BigMoneyTxAg
Our first win was against a high school...barely won too haha
cords12
Yes, but that high school had cheerleaders
Ag_B_10
AG
Haha! I went to that high school but not back then! The next time my high school and college/university met, they tied!

[This message has been edited by Ag_B_10 (edited 6/23/2011 3:22p).]
conner
tech!
Bjwink
AG
whats worse is that on that list we lost to Houston High School twice.. sweet

[This message has been edited by Bjwink (edited 6/23/2011 3:46p).]
GetThoseKeysMilo
Someone bump the other thread on this...nice discussion on the topic. Can't search back that far.
GetThoseKeysMilo
quote:
What's the big deal? I thought we played Tech every year? /zing

Pretty sure someone posted that same joke on the other thread, including the use of the word "zing"...not to steal your thunder or anything.
MisterJones
AG
Damnit

Story of my life
AughtThree
AG
Ironically, they accused the refs of being blind...
atmtws
one and done
AG
Tech is a safety school for people applying to the deaf and dumb institute.
AnalogyAg
The future media guide will state

Texas A&M 49 Institute for the Hearing Challenged and Speech Impaired 0

btw, I'm surprised you were able to get this info. I understand there was a strict "Don't Ask Don't Tell" policy at that school

[This message has been edited by AnalogyAg (edited 6/23/2011 5:12p).]
TxAgswin
AG
BTHODADI! [/sign language]
GBRAggie
CLASSIC!!!

A deaf-mute strolls into a pharmacy to buy a pack of condoms. Unfortunately, he can’t find the rubbers. Because he doesn’t speak, he tries explaining to the pharmacist with his hands, but the pharmacist fails to understand.
Frustrated, the deaf-mute guy unzips his pants, pulls his ***** out, and (thud!) drops it onto the counter. Then he lays a five-dollar bill down next to it.
“Ah,” says the pharmacist. Smiling, he also unzips his pants and flops his ***** on the counter. Then he pockets the deaf man’s cash. The man begins to curse in sign language. “Sorry,” says the pharmacist. “If you can’t afford to lose, you shouldn’t gamble.”
mpaggie06
AG
We tied the Kansas City Medics in 1900. Pretty sure "Medics" wasn't the mascot, either.

Beat Houston YMCA in 1905...a shining moment in Aggies history.

Also beat Camp Mabry, Camp Travis, and Camp Travis Remount back in the World War I days.
JTA1029
AG
I bet they didn't hear about it. And I'm almost certain nobody spoke a word after the game.
tbirdspur2010
AG
this thread=win
A2Aggie60
AG
While I know it appears unusal to have a college playing a high school you have to understand the times. Many students didn't start high school until their late teens--16 or 17. My Father who graduated from high school in 1919 said he had three players on his football team that were over 20 years old with the oldest being 23.

Different times, different game.

Out

"Never forget who we are or where we come from, never forget the Aggie Code of Honor and never forget Duty, Honor, Country." President Gates
Savrola
Texas School for the Deaf is still in Austin on South Congress. They're actually pretty good in high school football.

Back in the early days of football, there weren't enough places with teams, so we played some high school teams like Galveston Ball.
CDub06
AG
Welcome to the Internet
DeckAggie
AG
Keep in mind also that during the early days of the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas many cadets were well under the age of 18 when they enrolled and most didn't stick around for 4 years. I'm sure the football team at the turn of the 20th century was composed mostly of 16 and 17 year old farm boys who probably had less exposure to organized athletics than most Houston high school students.
Biz Ag
AG
Their cheerleaders are mimes.
NonRegAg94
AG
My HS played Texas school for the deaf in the State semi-finals one year. They are considered a private school. So they are in TAPPS rather than UIL.

The way they did the snap count was there was a guy with a big base drum on the sideline at the line of scrimmage. The qb would call the count in the huddle. When the got to the line, the QB would signal the drummer, and he would start banging the drum in a slow cadence. The team would count off the beats until they reached the snap count.
The drummer wouldn't know the count, he would just bang the drum until they went off the line.

There were a couple of weird things about the game. First off it was VERY quiet. There wasn't any point to having trash talk. They also couldn't hear the whistles. So they would keep going until our players stopped running.
ashley
They were in the UIL in the 70's and I think in the 80's.
Motel California
S
Yeah I knew we played Camp Mabry. Just so odd to even think A&M played "Camp Mabry". Went there once a year, every year as a kid. WOW
Old Army Metal
AG
I bet that was a quiet bus ride home.
AgBQ07
AG
Do you think the Aggie team needed to run huddles or did they just yell out play calls from the sideline?

And how easy it must have been to play against a team that had to let go of the ball to talk smack.
Chetos
AG
could it have been a mix up...perhaps it was tu ...but, the first time we saw them give the longhorn sign we thought they were special and signing "i love you"
oklacityag75
AG
The Texas School of the Dumba$$ is now in Austin on 40acres of donated land.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.