Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Penalties for excessive crowd noise

12,408 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by ag-bq-seventy
leoj
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've seen this in the famous 12th man video of the 85 tu game, and now just read about it again in the early 90's.

WTF is that? when was this rule started/ended? sounds like the stupidest thing I have ever heard of in my life
Jeeper79
AG
Has anyone ever seen it enforced? Does it still exist?
Gump 02
AG
really?
drivinwest
AG
Oh yea, the refs used to call penalties on the defense if the home crowd was too loud. I remember it happening to the Oilers back in the Luv Ya Blue days. I think it ended in the late 80s/early 90s.
Decay
AG
They are technically allowed to.

They wouldn't dare nowadays.
leoj
AG
quote:
I remember the chants of "Where's Ware" I also think we got multiple penalties for excessive crowd noise. and RC saying at Yell something to the effect of "you keep makin noise and we will take the penalties"

good times.

from the UH 89 thread

and the don't mess with the 12th man video has the announcers talking about how the refs are about to throw flags as the tu qb waits for literally minutes in order to get the kyle field crowd to quiet down.

this blows my mind
AgBQ07
AG
The only thing I can find is crowds getting penalized for inappropriate behavior like chanting r rated words. Tech got penalized a lot during the leach era
RedComyn
AG
quote:
"you keep makin noise and we will take the penalties"

That's balls. I'm down.
TrueMaroon
AG
the refs forced the tu qb to go ahead and when the qb delayed the second time the flag was thrown on tu in that game
KRT-1
Here you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NUxFE2oJ-M
monarch
S
And on the first snap after tu was told to play it, the QB got sacked and the crowd was louder still.
Its Texas Aggies, dammit
AG
I seem to remember an Arkansas game at Kyle in the late 80s at which the refs called an excessive-noise penalty.
beerad12man
AG
I'm glad they changed that ridiculous rule. If a crowd got penalized for excessive noise nowadays, I'd be beside myself. It was so stupid that the playclock didn't start until the QB got set. What a dumb rule.
75AG
AG
I'm surprised the head linesman from last Saturday's game didn't call it on the Ags.
toddmandude
Still in the rulebook.

"persons subject to the rules, including bands, shall not create any noise that prohibits a team from hearing its signals (rule 1-1-6)"

However, it depends on how you define "persons subject to the rules". If students are considered, "affiliated with the team or institution", we will be breaching the rules. if not, we won't.

But, they're not going to call it. If they do, the 12th man will respond even louder.
Trajan88
AG
Cannot remember the year (maybe '86)... Ags playing SMU at Texas Stadium... I was working on Bonfire and the game was being broadcast @ Duncan Field. SMU band kept playing before/during A&M's offensive snaps. Ref warned SMU at least once and eventually called an unsportsman-like penalty on SMU (believe it kept a critical A&M drive alive)... Aggies won that game.

And Bobby Collins was sad.
SW-14
AG
Anyone else hear the boos in that video?
AggieArchitect04
AG
If we get at least one of these Saturday...
toddmandude
My goal is to get one this Saturday.

and maybe have an aneurysm.
dcAg
It was so stupid. I was at all of those games in the '80's. Even when we quieted down as soon as the opposing QB got under center we were louder than we were previously. Absolutely deafening!
MCAg09
AG
that video is awesome...we need to be that loud again on saturday!
agsneverlose
Refs now days won't dare throw a flag door this ridiculous rule. How can you penalize a team for great fan support?
Horatius
I would absolutely loooooooooove for us to get penalized for excessive crowd noise; nothing would fire the 12th Man up more than that.
TexicanHippy
AG
I actually did a good bit of research on this for a blog a couple of years ago. The rule had been in effect for some time, as far as I could find since the 1950s (it was enforced against OU in the Wilkinson era), and it was repealed fairly recently, I wanna say 2006.

The reason the rule was repealed was something to the effect of, "it tended to cause more problems than it solved". Of course, by the time the 90s came around the rule was rarely if ever enforced so the repeal was really just a formality.

Here's a similar video from the 1988 ND - Michigan game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23vMunem6nw
Horatius
Well damn, there goes that letter to Sherman....

EDIT: The rule posted above still resides, it just requires a bit more open interpretation of who is subject to the rules.

Here's a note I sent Sherman, trash me all you want for it.

quote:
Coach,

No one knows more than you about firing up students, that cannot be debated. You have taken a group of student athletes with amazing potential and taught them to deliver as a team. This season, as all seasons do, have made me a proud Aggie and proud fan of Aggie Football. However, this fall in particular has reinforced the creed "I've seen 'em lose and I've seen 'em win, But I've never seen 'em quit.” in ways that I have never experienced in my 22 years as a fan.

I am writing you to ask that you take that same team building ability and focus it on our humbling 12th Man. We are hungry, starving for a game like the one that awaits us this coming weekend. We are loud, we are proud, and we are mean, this is certain, but there is room for growth. We need a challenge, we need a tangible goal to push us forward and bring us together as one.

I suspect that you are familiar with the video commonly referred to under the title of “Don't Mess With The 12th Man.” As explanation, it refers to the 1985 home game against tu where our deafening student section stopped play on Kyle Field. During the broadcast, announcers made reference to a noise violation rule that still sits in the books ["persons subject to the rules, including bands, shall not create any noise that prohibits a team from hearing its signals (rule 1-1-6)”] and suggest that a penalty may be levied against our fans. True, it may not be commonly called and the interpretation as to who is subject may vary, but it remains a rule.

Sir, that small sentence of officiating literature is the simple spark we need to start an all out bonfire. While I acknowledge that each decision you make is yours alone, I request that you take the opportunity of this Friday's Midnight Yell to put our swaying sea of maroon to the challenge. Informing our eager fans that this rule sits on the books, and telling them how proud you would be to take that penalty, would set a target I know many would give their all for.

We have the ability to roar, to come together as a team and absolutely rock that stadium. We stand here with a record setting first day of student ticket pull. We stand here with a stadium crew that has already taken measures to pack in a record setting attendance. We stand ready to reemphasize what it means to be the 12th Man. We're standing for you, sir, for this team, our team. We just need a coach.

--An Aggie

[This message has been edited by Horatius (edited 11/16/2010 6:35a).]
Wildcat
AG
The best part of that old footage is that after all the wait, the hands on hips, the commentary from the booth, Staffard gets blown-up in the backfield.

For all of the talent they have managed to recruit, Texas has been, and remains, one of the softest teams in college football.
Artimus Gordon
"I'm surprised the head linesman from last Saturday's game didn't call it on the Ags."

No sheet, that was about the only thing they didn't call. I am surprised we didn't get called for excessive tackling of RGIII in that 4th quarter.

ccolley68
AG
The way i read and interpret the rule, is it can only be enforced against people or entities involved with the institution. As in, they call it if the band wont stop playing during the opposing teams play, or the PA announcer wont stop talking while the team is trying to snap. I dont see where they can call it on the actual fans. If they could actually call it on the fans in the stands, then they would have to set up building guidelines to prevent schools from having such large stadiums, designed to increase the acoustics to trap the crowd noise inside. This rule would be similar to when the Indianapolis Colts (I believe) were accused of piping crowd noise in through their PA system. That is a penalty. The crowd in general can make as much noise as they desire.

That being said, if they can penalize the crowd, i say bring it on. It will only anger the 12th Man more and make them louder. The Aggie coaches and team should welcome that penalty. Get loud Aggies! Lets see if we can be the first team penalized for this in years.
ABATTBQ87
AG
quote:
Cannot remember the year (maybe '86)... Ags playing SMU at Texas Stadium... I was working on Bonfire and the game was being broadcast @ Duncan Field. SMU band kept playing before/during A&M's offensive snaps. Ref warned SMU at least once and eventually called an unsportsman-like penalty on SMU (believe it kept a critical A&M drive alive)... Aggies won that game.

It was 1986 against SMU in Texas Stadium. The officials never warned the SMU band, but threw the flag in the 4th qtr after SMU had us stopped. The SMU football players were not happy
Second Deck
Rule existed back in the 80's, IMO.
ag-bq-seventy
AG
Why did you find an old thread about this when there is a new thread about this and then you give your opinion which is answered in the new thread.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.