Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Voice of Kyle Field--C.K. Esten

43,235 Views | 124 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by aggiejim70
trackaggie76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have so many vivid memories of C. K. Esten's voice at Aggie football games. He will always be the "voice of Kyle Field" for me!
Skull Session
Greatness!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_NETbKvGh4
firethewagonup

dichotomic
AND, there will never be another radio broadcaster for football better than Kern Tips. I grew up listening to him on the old Humble network and nobody has ever come close. He really made you feel you were sitting in the stands with his play by play of the games.

[This message has been edited by dichotomic (edited 9/21/2010 4:26a).]
SA Ag
"Ray Ku-bb-aa-ll-aa".
dchack1971
AG
I wish we would play that at the start of every game
bco2003
AG
What years was Esten there?
musket
AG
DR. Esten was a hell of a prof too.....
AgBQ80
AG
According to the article I read on Chase Murphy when he took over the P.A. duties at Kyle Field, it said he was only the 3rd announcer since WWII. Roger Feldman did it from 1977 - 2000. So I guess C.K was their for at least 32 years from 1945-1976. I know I distinctly remember him as a kid growing up in College Station and on up through my Fish year in the band.
Ishmael-Ag
AG
Kern Tips? Here ya go!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnU1ZosgptQ
TXAG65
AG
what musket said
bco2003
AG
Thanks AgBQ

[This message has been edited by bco2003 (edited 9/21/2010 9:58a).]
FearNoWeevil
AG
Ed Simo-ninnnnnnn-iiiiii
Skull Session
Bay Lore Bears!
dichotomic
Ray Gene Hine---ze
musicman55
AG
I was in school during the CK Esten years... the newer Ags just don't know what they're missing, not hearing Mr. Esten announce the game. He was right up there with many famous stadium announcers of yesteryear... Cactus Pryor over in Austin, plus pro announcers like Vin Scully for the Dodgers.

I've always thought that our Ath Dept should use Mr Esten's "Welcome to Kyle Field..." recording to get things rolling every game. Sadly, in this day of infomercial game management geared to selling product, that will most probably never happen.
nu awlins ag
AG
i'm guessing roger had a pack of camel filter-less and a glass of bourbon as he did games? the man had that DEEP voice that is perfect for announcing games. the others were before my time/remember.
Duck Blind
AG
Roger Feldman was a nudist.
viejo
"And in the Aggie backfield, it's Dean, Bean, Green, and Duuuuusek"

Yep, Dr. Esten was the all-time greatest...none have come close, before or since.
Drbill73
AG
I had C K Esten for a speech class in'72
Tex Ag 81
AG
Viejo, you got may favorite, Brad Dusek was from my hometown, always loved that one in the early 70's.
TexAg75
AG
A friend of mine one commented that he reminded him of a horse race anouncer.
I had to agree!

...and in the backfield its Dean, Green and Bean...
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
http://www.12thmanfoundation.com/mag/Vol6/vol6no16/chacemurphy.asp
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
And this is the guy I grew up with:

quote:
Feldman was an Assistant Professor Veterinary Pathology at A&M for many years and retired as an Associate Professor Emeritus in 1990. Feldman began his relationship with Texas A&M Athletics in October 1965 refereeing scrimmages. He began working the press box at Kyle Field as a statistician in the fall of 1968.

Feldman substituted for the public address announcer at Kyle Field on several occasions and became the full-time announcer in 1969. Feldman also has served as a public address announcer at A&M basketball games, track and field meets and cross country meets.

Feldman received the Association of Former Students Distinguished Faculty Achievement Award for Student Relations in 1978 and served as a faculty member of the Memorial Student Center Council for 10 years. Feldman was a founding member of the A&M Mentors Program and has been a Association of Former Students Century Club member for the past 15 years. He was a charter member and past president of OPAS, Friends of the Medical Library Society and the Brazos Valley Symphony Society. Feldman is originally from Kalona, Iowa.

http://www.aggieathletics.com/genrel/102798aaa.html

Now forming....
19aggie78
He was great ... I will never forget ... "Simonini, Hayes, Marshall, and the rest of the Fighting Texas Aggie defense on the tackle". That is when we had the #1 defense in the land under Mad Dog Roberson. Great announcer ... Great team.
AggieBand2004
AG
Part of me wishes I was around to hear the great announcers of the past, but I'm also glad that we've got a great one in Murphy.
Maybe it's a bias caused by familiarity, but I think he's much, much better than PA guys you'll find in most other college venues.
(Removed:11023A)
AG
I miss Feldman at Kyle, he was great!!
Ulrich
I really like Chase Murphy. He does a great job.
RedComyn
AG
Ya, Chase Murphy does a solid job. Really nice guy too.
nwaggie
AG
People look at me crazy when I say "Bay-Lore", but that's what I think it should be because of him.
AG
I wish I had been around to hear those older guys

Chase Murphy does a great job, he could easily be the voice of Kyle field for 50 years.
jickyjack
That distinct quick sliced thin high yankee enunciation; "LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, WELCOME TO KYLE FIELD.......HOME OF THE FIGHTIN TEXAS AGGIES". If you heard it you've got that going for you.
Jim Benson 63
AG
Osbooorne, Taylooor, Crow and Pahhhhdee

[this was the 56 offensive backfield]

Spotted in a spring game once for CK Esten, about 1961. During that game I said that a player had "almost" intercepted a pass. He responded that he didn't want to know about "almost" interceptions, just real interceptions. A real crusty but nice guy.

Took his Shakespearean Literature class in about 1962.
SAustin
t.u. announcer was actually Wally Pryor, Cactus's brother.
85AustinAg
AG
any other audio of C.K. that anyone knows of???
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.