Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Importance of T-Star from a Traditional Aggie

31,063 Views | 160 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Leonardo da vinci
MontroseAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
Username: Harvard_Ag
Number of Posts: 16
Account Created: 9/16/2000 9:30:44 PM

strong account creation date
rockwalltxag
AG
I think that you can make the case that our marketing has been weak in the past, but I have a feeling that this is all about to change. Sit tight and see what happens beginning July 1st - the people now in charge (we have created an actual marketing position) have been putting together a plan to be the best marketed team in Texas if not the US..

[This message has been edited by rockwalltxag (edited 6/16/2012 11:35a).]
J.D.
AG
If you're going that route why not use the center of the university seal:

-->

[This message has been edited by J.D. (edited 6/16/2012 4:33p).]
RAB83
AG
Posting as an old Ag (most of the a-holes of texas have been worn off my ring)...

Kill the bevel. Kill it. It's not even done right. We look like idiots with it. Kill it.

The block ATM is our brand. It's recognizable. Back when I was a young Ag (long time ago), there was a survey done of recognizable college logos and the block ATM was one of the most recognizable. This pre-dated Jackie, RC, etc.

The baseball version with the state logo with the block ATM is good. Use it, except on helmets.

For God's sake, when did we ever stop being the Texas Aggies? We are the Texas Aggies. The OP's idea of putting "TEXAS AGGIES" on the front of jerseys is a GREAT idea. Do it. Put "TEXAS AGGIES" in the end zones. Make "Texas Aggies" part of our press briefings.

Bring back Ol' Sarge. Now. He's A&M. He's cool. He's part of our history. Screw the pencil necked administration geeks who were embarrassed by Sarge and the Corps. It's who we are and where we've come from. It's like Michigan killing their helmets.

Star T = yawn. Yeah, I've got a shirt with it. I've got a shirt with the AM logo. Yawn. It works for basketball, though it's brand confusion.

We are not the Aggie Nation. This is Aggieland!

On a thread about A&M and popular culture, someone posted something about rappers adopting A&M during the Wrecking Crew era. That's it. Just win baby. Become feared and the rest will happen.

If you want to be distinctive, go back to the Bellard era unis with the stripes down the sleeves. Alternatively, let's be innovative. We're Texas Aggies. Every now and then, let's use cammo uniforms. Imagine a Johnny Holland type TCU hit where our LB is wearing cammo!

Today, I flew through Chicago on the way to DFW. I'm wearing an Ag t-shirt. A hot woman comes walking in the airport bar at O'Hare wearing an Aggie shirt (don't think she was on the flight to Dallas and didn't try to talk with her). Saw another guy walking through the K concourse with an Aggie cap. At DFW, I only saw one sip and he was clearly a t-shirt fan. This is minor anecdotal stuff, but my sense is Ags are showing more pride and A&M is more visible. WE ARE ON THE RISE!

BTHOSEC!
The Dog Lord
AG
Regardless of how esthetically pleasing any of our symbols are, our symbol is the aTm (bevel doesn’t matter one way or the other). That will be our symbol no matter what. It is what people recognize nationally and would be too risky/costly to change now. I’m all for being referred to as the Texas Aggies though. It is just easier to say than Texas A&M Aggies. Also, I would rather we push the A&M aspect of our name than fight against it. When someone says “A&M” on a national stage, you don’t think of Florida A&M or another school, you think of Texas A&M. The other A&Ms are almost always referred to by their full name.

Plain and simple: winning = more people wanting A&M gear…not some logo change. It was like that in the 80s and 90s. Why do you think Aggies hate t-shirt longhorn fans? Cause they used to be our fans! There used to be a lot more maroon walking around this state than there is now (although there has been a noticeable shift in the past two seasons already). Also, someone in Mexico asked to buy my brother-in-law’s aTm hat one year because our bowl game was on down there at the time. The guy wasn’t visiting Texas, and he had no connection to A&M, yet he wanted it because we happened to be having a good season. The guy probably wouldn’t have recognized some T-star hat as being associated with us either.

Also, it will be difficult to come up with a generic Texas-related logo to match the longhorn because as so many have mentioned, our name/letters are awkward and our mascot is not easily represented. Also, a longhorn/cattle is ALREADY associated with the state of Texas the same way a cowboy/boots/etc is in a lot of peoples’ minds. UT didn’t have to pull some magic marketing to link their school to Texas. They simply used the connection already established to market themselves more widely/generically. If we were the Texas A&M Cowboys then yeah we might be able to compete somewhat. I think more important than the logos in the “representation of Texas” battle is UT using “Texas” when referencing themselves. That is something you cannot fight with a different logo. The only way to fight that is by winning.

Now, if you are talking in strictly “airport souvenir”/generic-sales-based-off-of-ambiguity terms, we are not going to compete with a generic longhorn (see above). The best bet for that goal though would be to have the aTm inside the state of Texas.
12 aTm
Let's put TEXAS on the front of our uniforms instead of TEXAS AGGIES.

[This message has been edited by 12 aTm (edited 6/16/2012 11:25p).]
The Dog Lord
AG
I'm assuming that's a joke? It's hard to tell on here sometime lol.
sixtysevengt5oo
The argument that no one knows that the t star is an a&m symbol is a pointless one, first - no one knows what it is because it is not marketed heavily, if it had been our symbol for 100 years, and nothing else, it would be easily recognizeable. Second - the longhorn symbol is no different than the t-star, with no previous knowledge it is simply a generic image, it takes context for anyone to associate it with tu. Ask a 4 year old from bfe what a white longhorn on a burnt orange background is, and they will have no idea, one day in their life they will be watching espn or something similar and make that connection, because that is almost universally used as tu's logo. If the t star were used almost universally as the Texas A&M logo, eventually it would be easily recognized by people almost everywhere (especially with winning).

Just because people don't know what it is now, does not mean that it would never be recognizeable as A&M, and being a bit more generic that the aTm it would make it more universally appealing, especially because maroon isnt a nasty off putting color like burnt orange.
The Dog Lord
AG
So we should switch to the T-star and market it to every child (who doesn't buy merchandise on their own) and wait 100 years when the aTm is already recognizable? Not gonna happen even if everyone wanted it to. No admin is going to be the one to make that decision.

And I still don't think people would buy a T-star design as a generic piece of "Texas" merchandise. They won't know that it is similar to the seal of Texas and half probably don't think about "the lone star state". The best way to make it sell to that crowd would be to put it inside the outline of Texas.
DocCrowe
AG
IMO the bevel shading is not consistent; a bevel is missing at the base and the left serif.

I like the plan "T", no serifs (Paul Bryant era)
I like the block "T", with serifs. A maroon and white combination speak to the team. A cousin in Alabama recognized the T-star on my car's back window as Texas A&M. Most of my baseball caps have the plan block "ATM." My polos have the bevel. My t-shirts have both. The coaches polos change every season to sell more. My point...I love the variety of marks. When I lived outside the state, most knew the marks, some asked, usually to confirm that it was Texas A&M.

Marketing 301. September 8 is coming. A huge Texas flag on Kyle Field while we sing the state anthem will speak for itself. We do represent Texas to the SEC family.

Gig 'em!
King of the North
AG
I don't understand all of the hate for the T star. It's the university seal.
sixtysevengt5oo
quote:
So we should switch to the T-star and market it to every child (who doesn't buy merchandise on their own) and wait 100 years when the aTm is already recognizable? Not gonna happen even if everyone wanted it to. No admin is going to be the one to make that decision.

And I still don't think people would buy a T-star design as a generic piece of "Texas" merchandise. They won't know that it is similar to the seal of Texas and half probably don't think about "the lone star state". The best way to make it sell to that crowd would be to put it inside the outline of Texas.

Not once did I say market to four year olds, or that it would take a hundred years to achieve notoriety, try reading for comprehension next time, what I was saying was that it is only not recognizeable because there has never been a concerted effort to do so, the only reason the aTm is recognizeable is because it is marketed. In no way shape or form does the aTm inherently mean Texas A&M University, ask that same 4 year old what it means, and they would have no clue, until they were shown the connection.

If you stoped using the block aTm today, and switched to the T-Star, or any other logo, I honestly can't see it taking that long to be very identifiable as the logo of Texas A&M. There just has to be some sort of marketing campaign, to start having it used almost universally.
Old Main
AG
I think if the T-Star had used a solid T from the university seal (or a properly beveled T) instead of a flawed bevel T it would have been a stronger secondary logo. The bevel T has so many issues that adding a 3-D star on top of it makes it look strange (in my opinion).

If the 3-D Star was placed on top of this properly beveled T (flat faced; trapezoid cross section) I think it would have looked stronger. In addition TEXAS AGGIES or TEXAS A&M UNIVERSITY * 1876 could have been incorporated into the logo somewhere like they did with the official seal.

Fortunately the Texas A&M University seal doesn't have an incorrect bevel T.

[This message has been edited by Old Main (edited 6/17/2012 1:22p).]
The Dog Lord
AG
quote:
Not once did I say market to four year olds, or that it would take a hundred years to achieve notoriety, try reading for comprehension next time, what I was saying was that it is only not recognizeable because there has never been a concerted effort to do so, the only reason the aTm is recognizeable is because it is marketed. In no way shape or form does the aTm inherently mean Texas A&M University, ask that same 4 year old what it means, and they would have no clue, until they were shown the connection.

If you stoped using the block aTm today, and switched to the T-Star, or any other logo, I honestly can't see it taking that long to be very identifiable as the logo of Texas A&M. There just has to be some sort of marketing campaign, to start having it used almost universally.

Hey now, lets not bring reading comprehension into the argument. That's like kicking a man in the balls.

I know you weren't saying market it to four year olds or that it would take 100 years, I was just exaggerating points of your argument. I agree with you that if the t-star had been used heavily for the past 100 years that it would be easily recognizable, but that sentence has one too many "ifs" in it. I was pointing out that since it hasn't been used and the aTm is the recognizable symbol, it is most likely going to stay that way. No sense in going against all of the time and money put into making the aTm recognizable. Again, I can't see any admin throwing the aTm to the wayside.

I don't hate the t-star either just for the record. I, like Old Main, would prefer it to look more like the seal though without the bevel on the t and the star. The design is more simple and classic. I could see that catching on much easier.
agdad89
AG
quote:
If you're going that route why not use the center of the university seal:

[This message has been edited by J.D. (edited 6/16/2012 4:33p).]
Bring back the T Star!
FightingAggie
AG
Timely bump.
Brick Tamland
quote:

OLD MAIN LOVES BEVEL. ALERT. OLD MAIN LOVES BEVEL.
TxAg76
AG
The beveled star (or 3D star, whatever you wanna call it) is a TX symbol for sure. It's on our license plates even. Putting a non-beveled T behind it and going wild with its usage would be great for us, and branding, and tying to state of TX.

Looks good on helmet too. Somebody on another thread did it, looked great

Proportions of the T to the star were the same as those on our seal, and not the one on backs of jerseys.
Brick Tamland
We have the Texas logo on the back of our jerseys..
TxAg76
AG
quote:
We have the Texas logo on the back of our jerseys..

Sorry jersey police, you're right. At one time it was back there though. Maybe Sherman years or something....doesn't matter
Brick Tamland
Leonardo da vinci

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.