Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

A note to the SEC lurkers and visitors...

6,311 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 13 yr ago by MaroonInNashville
Cant Think of a Name
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Few things to clear up:

1. NASCAR? Not so much. Come check out a rodeo

2. BBQ - beef brisket, not pork. We'll let you put slaw on your slow cooking, but dont expect us to like it

3. We like our tea sweetened to individual taste after brewing. Its ice tea, not sweet tea. Dont worry, all of our restaurants have sugar and sweet n low at the table

4. The Alamo - some of your state's settlers probably died there. You better remember it!

5. As much as I dont like Austin, their country music is much better than Nashville. Pat Green's older stuff, Corey Morrow, Roger Creager, the Derailers, etc. You should broaden your horizons, throw out that Faith Hill crap, and get some of the good stuff

6. On April 21, dont bother calling on your Aggie friends. We're busy that day.

7. Absolutely NO bonfire jokes! I am unaware of anything off limits, so please feel free to inform us. But the only time I have ever punched an adult is when a t-sip made a joke about it. (To be fair, we dont joke about the tower sniper either.)

And so it begins...
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
good point on #7. mocking Aggie Bonfire is probably the quickest way to piss off an Ag.

also, if you show respect for the traditions of Silver Taps and Muster, we'll respect you more for it.
OleMissFan
elaborate on 6 and 7 if you will. i'm trying to learn about our newest SEC brothers.
leoj
AG
6- muster, wikipedia it

7- our bonfire collapsed in 1999, 12 students died. wikipedia the history of the bonfire as well.
Born
This hawg fan actually knows about..

Silver Taps
Muster
Good Bull
Corp Turds
Band Queers
Dropping Handles
My Old Lady reference

spent 14 yrs working in the oil biz in Houston. worked with Aggies, Longhorns, Red Raiders, and the like.

good times, but hate the oil biz. anotehr story entirely left unsaid.
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
OleMissFan - on April 21st, we put on Aggie Muster, a day used primarily to remember all Ags, current and former students, that have died in the past year. we have a ceremony at Reed Arena (and actually at other venues all across the world) with a keynote speaker and the Roll Call for the Absent, where every fallen Ag is read aloud, a candle is lit for them, and anyone who knew that Ag in some way answers 'Here' for them.

the saying goes - "If there is an Aggie within 100 miles of you, you are expected to get together, eat a little, and reflect on your days at the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas"

there's a lot more history behind it if you'd like me to get into that, but that's the gist.

[This message has been edited by unicyclist_ag (edited 6/13/2010 10:17p).]
Kels
AG
Number 6

http://aggietraditions.tamu.edu/remember/muster.html
Cant Think of a Name
AG
6. Aggie muster... We picked that day because it is San Jacinto day... the day we kicked Mexico's a$$. We all get together and answer roll call for the Aggies who've died the previous year.

Biggest muster is in College Station, but they have them EVERYWHERE... in fact, check your home town... I bet there is one.

7. In 1999, Aggie Bonfire fell and killed 12 students. I was a current student there then, and I can attest to the change in the attitude and culture of the campus after that.

Now bonfire is smaller and off campus. But 12 people died doing one of the most Aggie things imaginable, so please no joking about it.
OleMissFan
thanks man. Hope everything works out so you guys get in the SEC
zmurda
lame post....how bout we make demands after we're actually in the conference. A better post would have been "Welcome. Thanks for letting us in your bada$$ conference."
Ags77
AG
corrections:

Nascar YES
Tea Sweet as a mf'er

all the rest is right on
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
speaking of Bonfire, we have a memorial site on campus that has a TON of tradition and symbolism to it, i'd recommend visiting it whenever you come to college station
wanewman
1.) Don't watch NASCAR.
2.) OK.
3.) It's sweet tea.
4.) I remember it.
5.) Don't listen to country music.
6.) Alrighty.
7.) No problem.

Done. RTR.

[This message has been edited by wanewman (edited 6/13/2010 10:20p).]
BBYD09
AG
um... ok
leoj
AG
also, stay off the grass at the MSC, which is across from the stadium. it is a memorial to all the Aggies who have died for our country
Ags77
AG
I have to say I am so impressed by the tone of this board with our new brothers in the south.

SEC SEC SEC SEC
TitanTiger
quote:
Few things to clear up:

1. NASCAR? Not so much. Come check out a rodeo

How about neither?

quote:
2. BBQ - beef brisket, not pork. We'll let you put slaw on your slow cooking, but dont expect us to like it

Love brisket, love pulled pork, hate slaw.

quote:
3. We like our tea sweetened to individual taste after brewing. Its ice tea, not sweet tea. Dont worry, all of our restaurants have sugar and sweet n low at the table

Sacrilege. You're outnumbered. Sweeten your damn tea.

quote:
4. The Alamo - some of your state's settlers probably died there. You better remember it!

Absolutely.

quote:
5. As much as I dont like Austin, their country music is much better than Nashville. Pat Green's older stuff, Corey Morrow, Roger Creager, the Derailers, etc. You should broaden your horizons, throw out that Faith Hill crap, and get some of the good stuff

Agreeance. But I lived in Nashvegas for 13 years and there's some good stuff off the beaten path there too. But Austin's got the best.

quote:
6. On April 21, dont bother calling on your Aggie friends. We're busy that day.

Gotcha.

quote:
7. Absolutely NO bonfire jokes! I am unaware of anything off limits, so please feel free to inform us. But the only time I have ever punched an adult is when a t-sip made a joke about it. (To be fair, we dont joke about the tower sniper either.)

I wouldn't have done it even without the tragedy, but I get it.
D.C. Tider
Also, remind everyone- There are no former Aggies, just former students...
FDL_Gator
In short reply...

1) Cannot stand NASCAR. Never been to a rodeo, but it looks fun.

2) All BBQ is good!

3)Hate sweet tea. Like you said sweeteners are available on the table.

4) True, but technically wasn't TX a country by itself then?

5)Never been a big fan of country music to begin with, but I do appreciate talent regardless of genera.

6) OK..

7) Wouldn't dream of it. That was a very sad day indeed. I'm glad you guys are at least getting back to the tradition a little though with the smaller bonfire.

Seriously, looks like you guys are really heading to the SEC, so let me extend a welcome from the Gator Nation. That expires the moment your team shows up in The Swamp.
LSUfannLA
Thanks for the explanation of number 6. Ditto on trying to get ahold of us on Mardi Gras.

OregonDawgs
I'm not getting this idea that all SEC fans are NASCAR fans... You may want to be less general and more specific. Most SEC fans hate NASCAR; I can't speak for Alabama fans. I don't drink tea regardless if it's sweet or unsweet. BBQ is decent, but it's not big at all where I live. I hate rodeos, that's worse than watching cars go around in a circle IMHO.
aubalum0509
Gotta love the Sweet Iced Tea. Its not good if it isn't sweet, and its not good if its hot. So, from now on, its Sweet Iced Tea. At least that is the way I like it.

Seriously guys, welcome to the club of people who eat, sleep, and swear college football. Where kids from all over the country come to compete with the best. I'm sure that this move will help your recruiting efforts tremendously.

We won't make fun of April 21st, in fact, I will honor it, since they are fighting for us also.

You now have reason to officially hate the turds, cousin grinders, or whatever you want to call $paut..
Deleted1142021
quote:

Uhh... have you never set foot in College Station?
leoj
AG
yeah...definitely only drink sweet tea.
LB12Diamond
AG
On the NASCAR item. I don't watch it but have plenty of Ag buddies that are getting into it. Many make it to Texas motor speedway every year for the big party.
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
as an ag, i actually enjoy unsweetened tea, but i'll drink both
tbirdspur2010
AG
quote:
On the NASCAR item. I don't watch it but have plenty of Ag buddies that are getting into it. Many make it to Texas motor speedway every year for the big party

I'll admit, I love NASCAR, and I'm about the furthest thing from a redneck you'll ever see!
cr0wbar
AG
Look at all these rooks!

Hope you folks enjoy it over here!
fido98
8) We have a local chicken strip restaurant called Layne's. It's better than both Zaxby's and Raising Cane's
obscureag
Rodeos, Nascar, and unsweetened tea.

Oh, and it's a chicken fried steak, not country fried.

Thanks for the invite SEC.
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
DON'T EVER GO TO CANE'S
JazzAg
1. BOTH take a backseat to football from HS to pro.

2. See #5

3. Just order "iced tea anywhere in TX and it'll be plain, then just ignore sugar on the table.

4. Don't just remember it, come check it out: a really cool and historic spot in one of our nicest cities.

5. Like BBQ, itzall good. Another thing to check out when you're here. Yeah, you've got good stuff and we do too...but it's different - it's ours.

6. Got it.

7. Seriously, people were killed so how could a joke come of that.
Waffle_Release_Date
quote:
We like our tea sweetened to individual taste after brewing. Its ice tea, not sweet tea. Dont worry, all of our restaurants have sugar and sweet n low at the table

I'd say about half the restaurants have actual sweet tea. And I get mad when they don't. I think this point may not be entirely accurate.
Yersinia pestis
9)
Tigerfancov
1. I know maybe, one, two people that like Nascar. Seriously, most of us hate it, too.

2. I prefer beef anyway, so bring it on!

3. Not a tea fan.

4. For sure

5. Not a country fan... unless it's Carrie. I do love me some Carrie.

6. Gotcha.

7. Would never think of it.

LSU fan
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.