Julius and Ethyl Rosenberg

2,418 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by KY AG
ce1994
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I saw a 60 Minutes piece on them last night. They were as guilty as sin and it is not in dispute. I never really looked into that case much but read up on it last night quite a bit. Any nonsense that they were innocent is just that. Nonsense.
CanyonAg77
AG
Pretty much any hero of the left, you can figure they are really guilty....but maybe that's more for the Politics Board.

I think the only argument I heard that was logical, was that maybe Ethel wasn't really involved, so it was unfair to execute her, when she was an accessory, at best.

Also given that we have let spies and traitors since then live, in spite of equally bad or worse crimes seems a bit unfair.

If course, I would be happy to even it out by executing some of the later folks.
ce1994
AG
Canyon:

I gave this consideration and came to this conclusion. If she was not guilty as hell then they would have commuted the sentence of execution to one of life imprisonment. They electrocuted Julius Rosenberg first. If they had felt she was simply accompliss then it would not have looked good for the government to execute her as well. If she did not know anything then she was of no value to the government.
74OA
AG
Ethyl was an active participant and both Rosenbergs were utterly unrepentant. More importantly, and unlike most of the traitors since, they potentially threatened the survival of the United States by providing atomic weapons secrets to our mortal enemy. Most other spies get lesser sentences because they did less damage and agreed to plead, but I agree there's been some since that definitely deserved the death penalty. The Walker's come to mind.........
CanyonAg77
AG
Will bow to the knowledge of both of you. It's been a long time since I read much of anything on the Rosenbergs.

But on a slightly related note, the house in Albuquerque where some of the information exchanges took place, is still standing. It is now a bed and breakfast, and they do murder mystery dinners and such there.

http://www.albuquerquebedandbreakfasts.com/

Quote:

After its construction, the house went through a variety of owners until it was purchased in 1944 by WB Freeman and his wife Margaret. At the time they bought the house, the three upstairs rooms were being used as boarding rooms. The Freemans continued to use it this way and lived in the downstairs part of the house with Margaret's father, Pete Scherer. The Freemans became one of the most well-known and longest owners of the house.

Shortly after purchasing the house, the Freemans were approached by Ruth Greenglass, wife of David Greenglass, who wanted to rent one of the upstairs rooms for $32 a month. David Greenglass just happened to be the brother of Ethel Rosenberg and brother-in-law of Julius Rosenberg, convicted Soviet spies who were executed in the 1950s. David was in New Mexico to work on the atomic bomb in Los Alamos during the week and would join his wife in their one-room apartment on the weekends.

On June 2, 1945, David was greeted by Harry Gold, a Soviet spy courier, to receive drawings of the portion of the atomic bomb on which he was working. David exchanged these drawings with Gold for $500 in their room in the house. It was due to this incident that the house became known as "The Spy House". You can find mention of the house in several books, as well as in numerous newspaper articles written throughout the years.
I'm a bit of a "buff" of Manhattan Project history.
ce1994
AG
I am no expert on this matter at all. Until last night I thought it was still disputed that Julius Rosenberg was a spy. There is no doubt he was a spy. His kids acknowledge he was a spy.
ce1994
AG
I did learn one thing, however. The information Rosenberg passed on was of little value to the Soviets. The feds knew there was someone else out there giving the Soviets better more technical information. That is what they were after. They wanted that guy. The Rosenbergs either did not know who that was or died with the information.
CanyonAg77
AG
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_spies
IDAGG
AG
ce1994 said:

I am no expert on this matter at all. Until last night I thought it was still disputed that Julius Rosenberg was a spy. There is no doubt he was a spy. His kids acknowledge he was a spy.
If I am not mistaken, I believe that Kruschev mentioned the Rosenbergs in his memoir and admitted they were soviet spies.
IDAGG
AG
From a 1990 NYT article:

Quote:

From Stalin and from the longtime Soviet Foreign Minister, Vyacheslav M. Molotov, the memoir says, Khrushchev learned that Julius and Ethel Rosenberg had ''provided very significant help in accelerating the production of our atomic bomb.''

''Let this be a worthy tribute to the memory of those people,'' the memoir says of the Rosenbergs. ''Let my words serve as an expression of gratitude to those who sacrificed their lives to a great cause of the Soviet state at a time when the U.S. was using its advantage over our state to blackmail our state and undermine its proletarian cause.''
http://www.nytimes.com/1990/09/25/world/khrushchev-on-rosenbergs-stoking-old-embers.html
terata
AG
I suggest y'all look into the Venona Files.
terata
AG
Also, since the Rosenbergs were executed for espionage, should Pollard have been?
IDAGG
AG
terata said:

Also, since the Rosenbergs were executed for espionage, should Pollard have been?
Interesting post. Supposedly Pollard was spying for Israel. Whatever he did, the intelligence community was intent on keeping him in prison for life. The Israelis pressured every administration for the past 20 years to release Pollard and every time the politicians would ask the CIA for their opinion and the answer was always HELL NO. I think there is more to the Pollard story than meets the eye or has ever been made public. I don't know what it is but it must be pretty serious. Even now when they finally released him from prison he is not allowed to go to Israel, at least not yet. I would love to know what he did. It must have been pretty damaging to US security.
The Original AG 76
AG
terata said:

No.
The Rosenbergs were helping a state that could and WOULD totally destroy the US. No matter what Pollard sent Israel it would not lead to the possible destruction of the US.
Totally different situation.
KY AG
AG
ce1994 said:

I did learn one thing, however. The information Rosenberg passed on was of little value to the Soviets. The feds knew there was someone else out there giving the Soviets better more technical information. That is what they were after. They wanted that guy. The Rosenbergs either did not know who that was or died with the information.

Theodore Hall. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodore_Hall
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.