6 October 1781 - Americans & French begin siege of Cornwallis at Yorktown

1,474 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by VanZandt92
Rabid Cougar
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Would not have amounted to much ado if not for the French Navy.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
oui, oui !
jkag89
One of the few times the French Navy got the upperhand on the Brits. Barbara Tuchman's The First Salute is an excellent account of this bit of U.S. history.
SRBS
Down with the king! Up the rebels!!
Sapper Redux
Rabid Cougar said:

Would not have amounted to much ado if not for the French Navy.

You wouldn't have gotten Washington away from New York without the French Navy. It was the lynchpin of the whole enterprise.
wesag
AG
VanZandt92
I would point out that Yorktown would not have succeeded if not for Guilford Courthouse, Nathaniel Greene and the Race to the Dan. Cornwallis took heavy losses throughout, but especially at Guilford.

I live near a house where Cornwallis stayed at the Moravian settlement of Bethania, NC. The house is still there. The owner of the house was a patriot named Hauser (pronounced Hooser)around here, but he was away at the time. I go to church with some of his descendants.

Thanks for posting. More on this later.
Rabid Cougar
AG
VanZandt92 said:

I would point out that Yorktown would not have succeeded if not for Guilford Courthouse, Nathaniel Greene and the Race to the Dan. Cornwallis took heavy losses throughout, but especially at Guilford.

I live near a house where Cornwallis stayed at the Moravian settlement of Bethania, NC. The house is still there. The owner of the house was a patriot named Hauser (pronounced Hooser)around here, but he was away at the time. I go to church with some of his descendants.

Thanks for posting. More on this later.
I have been to this battlefield in Greensboro.
Sapper Redux
Before or after they discovered the actual place of the 3rd line?
Rabid Cougar
AG
Dr. Watson said:

I think I was there in 2012. I don't know what you're asking about.
Sapper Redux
Rabid Cougar said:

Dr. Watson said:

I think I was there in 2012. I don't know what you're asking about.

Guilford Courthouse NMP originally placed the third line on the grounds that were part of the initial purchase. They put cannon and monuments to the various line units that made up Greene's third line at that spot. Come to find out, that wasn't where Greene's third line was at all. The line was in a wooded area. They began reinterpreting the area when I last visited in the mid-2000s. I was just curious.
VanZandt92
Long Bloody and Obstinate, The Battle of Guilford Courthouse, details this and is really a great book. Also, there is a short podcast on it from the North Carolina Museum that is on ITunes University and maybe on the North Carolina museum website.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.