Fascinating read about FDR, LBJ, Clint Murchison and Sid Richardson

1,575 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Liquid Wrench
ce1994
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://res.dallasnews.com/interactives/oilkings/part1/index.html

I really enjoyed reading this and I hope ya'll do to.
Apache
AG
Great article! I only read the first part, look forward to reading the rest.
Thanks for sharing
CanyonAg77
AG
Right at the end, they mention the "train to College Station". I suspected, correctly, it appears, that this was the same trip where he came to A&M. Leave it to the DMN to leave that out.

That visit has been discussed before. Was quite a visit, and supposedly led to funding for what would become the current Corps dorms.
ce1994
AG
From the article it appears it was this trip that made LBJ. It put him on the national map. LBJ raised enough money from the oilmen of Texas to save the House/Senate from going Republican. Money is what makes the world go round. I am sure Murchison and Richardson were conservative as all get out. But they needed FDR to open up the oil spigot to pump those fields over set limits. Also, it was their money that kept Rayburn as Speaker. He was not LBJ in the sense that he would take bribes but if the Democrats did not maintain control of the House Rayburn's tenure was over.
Astrobo
AG
This is discussed at length in "Big Rich Texas" by Bryan Burrough. Great read.
Liquid Wrench
Astrobo said:

This is discussed at length in "Big Rich Texas" by Bryan Burrough. Great read.
Yeah, I was remembering that book and got randomly curious to do some reading on San Jose and Matagorda islands and found the DMN article. Good read.

Looks like the Bass family still owns San Jose.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.