Sharpsburg September 17, 1862

2,406 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by tmaggies
Whiskey Before Breakfast
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
GGgf J.F. Morris, 15th Georgia Inf, ANV on the field
Rabid Cougar
AG
Several direct and extended family members in the 6th Alabama of Rodes Brigade at the Angle of Bloody Lane.
VanZandt92
John and George Carter, father and son, my ggg grandfather and uncle , 27th Georgia, in Bloody Lane after having mauled the Union troops who crossed the cornfield.
tmaggies
AG
Was the 19th Georgia Inf Palmetto Guards Company C present at that battle?
Stive
AG
quote:
John and George Carter, father and son, my ggg grandfather and uncle , 27th Georgia, in Bloody Lane after having mauled the Union troops who crossed the cornfield.
Did they both come out of those two spots unscathed? If so, that's a pretty decent amount of divine intervention or luck (whichever you prefer). Two pretty nasty spots to be in on the same day.
Rabid Cougar
AG
quote:
Colquitts Brigade was on the extreme left of the Bloody Lane and not subject to the extreme flank fire as those on the right. They did engage the Federal for a third time at the Dunkard Church afterward. Regiment lost 60% of its men at Sharpsburg. Lucky indeed!
JABQ04
AG
Somewhere down the line of family history extended grandfathers and uncles fought with 5th TX there. One from beginning of war until The Wilderness where he was invalided out due to wounds.

My first cousin does family history. Have his printout somewhere at the house.
Rabid Cougar
AG
quote:
Yes it was. Regiment sustained 13 killed and 76 wounded during the Maryland Campaign.
Rabid Cougar
AG
quote:
Somewhere down the line of family history extended grandfathers and uncles fought with 5th TX there. One from beginning of war until The Wilderness where he was invalided out due to wounds.

My first cousin does family history. Have his printout somewhere at the house.
They were shot to pieces in multiple assaults and counter assaults in the Corn Field. 550 casualties out of 854 present. 64% One of the highest casualty rates for a Regiment in one battle on either side.
Stive
AG
Clarify for me: casualty did not mean dead correct? Casualty lists included wounded and dead right?
SRBS
Correct. Casualties includes wounded.

Many time the figures you see will also include missing and prisoners.

SRBS
I think the figure Cougar gives was for the Texas brigade at Sharpsburg not just the 5th texas
JABQ04
AG
Also very similar numbers for the Texas brigade at the Wilderness. 1,4,5 TX and 3 Ark go in with 880 effective, stop Hancock Corps and return with 550 (ish) KIA, WIA, Missing.

Rabid Cougar
AG
quote:
I think the figure Cougar gives was for the Texas brigade at Sharpsburg not just the 5th texas
Correct.

5th Texas - 5 men killed, 3 mortally wounded, and 78 wounded, 18 of whom had to be left behind on the battlefield or in the field hospital to be captured when Lee's army retreated.

At 7 A.M., Wofford's Brigade, advancing from the woods in rear of the Dunkard Church, crossed the Hagerstwon Pike near the church and, moving north, its left (Hampton Legion) resting on the Pike, relieved Lawton's and Hays' Brigades of Ewell's Division, about 145 to 160 yards south of this and engaged the Union line in the cornfield about 75 yards north of this road. The 5th Texas was sent to the assistance of Law's Brigade on the right. The four remaining Regiments maintained a contest rarely equalled in warfare. They penetrated the cornfield, the 1st Texas advancing to its northern edge, but their advance was checked. After losing more than one half its numbers, the Brigade fell back to the fields southwest of the Dunkard Church, and was not again engaged. The Brigade went into action numbering 854; its loss in killed, wounded and missing was 560. The 1st Texas carried into action 226 officers and men, of whom 186 were killed or wounded.

VanZandt92
This the new marker we put up for my grandfather, who was at Antietam. Originally there was just a numbered marker here at Hollwood Cemetery, Richmond, but my father opted to have the government put this one in. I will have to try and find the pic I have of the old one, which was there since 1864 or so.

Like I said, his son fought along side him and was wounded at Antietam, but he made it back home to Georgia, while the father did not.

The nearby Confederate pyramid marker

The homestead in Georgia

We have letters referring to the Battle of Olustee in Florida from this grandfather, but we don't have any from the Antietam time.
tmaggies
AG
quote:
quote:
Yes it was. Regiment sustained 13 killed and 76 wounded during the Maryland Campaign.

Then my third great grandfather was there along with his uncle.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.