100 years ago today

1,204 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by clarythedrill
RebelE91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The tank made it's debut in combat. From Stratfor:

On the morning of Sept. 15, 1916, soldiers of the German 1st Army rushed to their defensive positions between Flers and Courcelette, on the Western Front. The lifting of the Allied artillery barrage typically presaged an infantry charge, and the defenders made their machine guns ready to cut down advancing British and French troops. But this time, instead of onrushing infantry, from the smoke and mist emerged grinding mechanical contraptions, spewing bullets and shells. The Germans poured machine-gun fire onto the strange, new vehicles lumbering across the ragged mud and wire of no man's land, but the bullets had little effect. The day of the tank a concept that would go on to define land warfare in the 20th century had arrived
The Original AG 76
AG
Some of my military friends say that the tank has now become a VERY expensive mobile coffin because of the rapid advance in small inexpensive very effective anti-tank weapons.
As usual the military is spending billions in order to fight the LAST war instead of the next war.
Rabid Cougar
AG
From the video out of Syria those same small inexpensive anti tank weapons are pretty bad ass. However, they loved to use them on human target. Guess the armor has all been shot up.

Looking back on the use of them in the past 15 years, I am torn on their usefulness. I have been all over southern Iraq and in Afghanistan in the Kunar and Pech Valleys.

Southern Iraq is perfect tank country. Saw lots of shot up Soviet armor. Was it shot up by tanks or aircraft? Were M1's necessary? Certainly, at least in the beginning of the war and in the big combined arms operations around Fallujah. However, you never saw a US Mil tank/APC on the road in Iraq after the EFPs showed up . To dangerous for them.

The Kunar ? Not good tank country. Saw lots of shot up Soviet armor. I know they were not shot up by M1s there. I think the Marines had them down south but not sure.

Expensive toy? Don't know.

I know one of our scholarly members was at Medina Ridge and he might have better insight.
BQ78
AG
quote:
spending billions in order to fight the LAST war instead of the next war.

No not really, the army hasn't been putting much money into tanks since the M1. Their focus now seems to be on light armor like the POS Strykers. There is question that we could even produce real tanks again without the assistance of Canada or Getmany. GD's factory isn't tooled up for production anymore. Since tanks would still be king in Europe and Korea and Obama FP has made the whole world less stable (including new style and old style warfare areas) that ought to be alarming to everyone.
Apache
AG
How soon before drone type tanks are developed and put into use?
It would seem to me that smaller remote operated tanks would be extremely useful.
No crew would save lots of room... not to mention lives.

I think the Navy is doing something similar with drone submarines.

(This may already be in use... excuse my ignorance)

I imagine the battlefield in 25 years will look extremely different than today.
clarythedrill
quote:
How soon before drone type tanks are developed and put into use?
It would seem to me that smaller remote operated tanks would be extremely useful.
No crew would save lots of room... not to mention lives.

I think the Navy is doing something similar with drone submarines.

(This may already be in use... excuse my ignorance)

I imagine the battlefield in 25 years will look extremely different than today.
Will never happen with regards to drone tanks. They require way too much maintenance, and have an affinity to throw track and shear sprockets, which require a lot of man power and time to fix.

As a tanker, I can tell you that they tanks have become too advanced in some aspects. Right now it is extremely difficult to supply enough power to run all the systems without constantly idling the engine, which then will require large amounts of fuel. The CROW system is mounted directly in front of the TC, so it is difficult for him to command the tank when he cant see what is in front of him. Many other problems, which all come from trying to make the M1 do too much for the current platform.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.