LBJ and gold of Victoria Peak

2,388 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Aquin
Aquin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just finished reading Joan Mellen's new book, "Faustian Bargains, Lyndon Johnson and Mac Wallace in the Robber Baron Culture of Texas. She alludes to a large amount of gold in Victoria Peak that was secretly removed by Johnson and later Nixon. Caro did not mention this, to my recollection , so I thought I would go to the Texag History forum for the real story. Have you heard anything about this?
gigemhilo
AG
Going to check this book out. I just recently heard of Mac Wallace (he is from my hometown).
aalan94
AG
Does it make LBJ look bad?

If yes, Caro will not mention it.
huisachel
pardon me, but Caro dumps on Johnson at most every turn. He credits him for civil rights legislation but otherwise accuses him of stealing elections from nice Jeffersonian Democrats like the loathesome Coke Stevenson, buying votes, fixing contracts, using his government ties to make a fortune off his Austin radio station/television station, being a racist before he was a civil rights advocate, boorishness, unappreciative of Bobby Kennedy's virtues (never been able to figure out what any of them were) and responsible for the Viet Nam war.

as one of Johnson's other critical biographers, Texas liberal Robert Sherrill, wrote when the first Caro volume appeared, "this book is motivated by a great emotion-----hatred."

Like most Texas politicians then and now, Johnson was capable of a lot of evil and guilty of a fair share of it.
Apache
AG
A couple of my kinfolk were big shot attorneysout of San Antonio back from the 30's to the 70's. They were not the kind of people to speak ill of someone else (at least not within earshot of a very young me) but I do recall them saying they could not stand LBJ or his father. The fact they even mentioned it tells me he must have been a grade A ja@#ass.
The Original AG 76
AG
Possibly the greatest pure politician of all time. Totally corrupt, craved absolute power and would do ANYTHING, including murder, to achieve his goals. Yet he also had s deep need to be liked, not be his peers who he saw as corrupt as himself, but by the masses. At least LBJ did love his country and did believe in the American dream, unlike the crime family now attempting to capture the WH.
Facinating man
Aquin
AG
The author does a good job exploring LBJ 's business entanglements. In fact, some prominent Aggies get mentioned. She debunks the myth that Lady Bird had money from an inheritance. The so called fingerprints of Mac Wallace get a new look. I will let you read the book to find out the conclusion.

The gold story is one I had never heard. I understand there is a three volume work that goes into great detail about how LBJ got his hands on it, removed it and converted it to bullion.

The man was paid handsomely for his public service.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.