When did we start whooping? And other burning questions

2,286 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
Aggie Network
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sponsor
AG
What does "wildcat" mean to you? Did you ever have fish matches? Did you uncover for yells? Did you kiss on first downs? When did we start whooping?

Alongside an online Aggie Traditions package we're about to launch at AggieNetwork.com, we've built a poll that asks Aggies across all years to share their experiences with some of A&M's more informal traditions things like "When did 'hissing' become a part of the Horse Laugh yell?" and "How long have Aggies been putting pennies on Sully?" and "When did the Century Tree acquire that name?"

Please share your experiences by going to http://tx.ag/whooppoll and taking our survey. It's only a couple dozen questions, and the average time to complete the survey is less than 10 minutes.

If you encounter any errors or glitches, or if you just want to share more of your recollections of A&M history, please email Sue Owen '94 at SOwen94@AggieNetwork.com.

Then watch AggieNetwork.com and our social media, where we'll be sharing the results of the poll along with some new interesting reporting on the true stories behind some of our traditions.
The Association of Former Students | Texas A&M University
AggieNetwork@AggieNetwork.com | (979) 845-7514
74OA
AG
We didn't start with the whoop, we started with the whoah. Hopefully won't offend anyone, but a proper two-part whoah takes practice and female voices can't do it properly, so as their population steadily (and happily) increased, more and more students went to the much easier shrill whoop instead.
Rabid Cougar
AG
quote:
We didn't start with the whoop, we started with the whoah. Hopefully won't offend anyone, but a proper two-part whoah takes practice and female voices can't do it properly, so as their population steadily (and happily) increased, more and more students went to the much easier shrill whoop instead.
Not offended. Whooaaaah!
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
'45 no swim suits allowed at Downs Natatorium ! Never could figure out why . Or how long that rule was in place.

Tu had same rule !

'Course there were no females !
Centerpole90
AG

quote:
Did you ever have fish matches?
I might have had them when I woke up but I never carried anything but a warm box of smoldering sticks into Duncan for breakfast.

fish matches. The greatest time suck ever invented and perpetuated.
aggiejim70
AG
As I stated elsewhere, I carried fish matches and my drum key. As also stated elsewhere, if it's not gone already as it should have been, squeezing needs to go NOW.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Aggie Network
Sponsor
AG

We've taken a look back at the history of Aggie yells. We've got rare video of the very first official A&M yell from 1896, and we settled the whole hiss-vs-boo debate (hint: it's neither).

Check it out at https://www.aggienetwork.com/traditionsthroughtime/yells.aspx

The Association of Former Students | Texas A&M University
AggieNetwork@AggieNetwork.com | (979) 845-7514
Goose83
AG
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Where did " humping " during yells come from ?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.