Opening ceremony for the 1936 olympics.

1,951 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Savrola
SBISA Victim
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cardiac Saturday
AG
Rather unsettling.....

Rabid Cougar
AG
Always knew the Canadians were Nazis!
OldArmy71
AG
I wonder how many in that crowd and on the field were dead nine years later?
ABATTBQ87
AG
I watched a program on PBS regarding the 1936 Olympics and it discussed this gesture that looked like the sign Heil salute, but believe it or not that was the official salute of the Olympic games prior to and through the 1936 Olympics
Cen-Tex
AG
The US had a similar salute called the 'Bellamy' salute. It went by the wayside just the Olympic salute did.
dcbowers
AG
Is this from the Leni Riefenstahl Nazi propaganda movie, "Olympia"?

http:YouTube.com/watch?v=lLnGqMoNXRI
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
The Original AG 76
AG
quote:
I watched a program on PBS regarding the 1936 Olympics and it discussed this gesture that looked like the sign Heil salute, but believe it or not that was the official salute of the Olympic games prior to and through the 1936 Olympics
Many many folks used the " Roman" salute from which the Nazi salute evolved. And yes the official " Olympic" salute was darn near the Nazi salute.
Now that is not to say that many many nations marched past the Furher's reviewing stand and did intentionally use the Nazi salute out of respect to the host country. 1936 was still a time of remarkable " head in the sand" world opinion regarding the Third Reich.
BQ_90
AG
So glad they got politics outta the Olympics now
TAMU74
AG
quote:
I wonder how many in that crowd and on the field were dead nine years later?
I was thinking the same thing.
Savrola
As was noted before, the U.S. flag salute, known as the Bellamy salute, was the same until 1942. Everybody was trying to be the Romans, or basically was aping the fascists, who were trying to be the Romans.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.