JUST FYI- Ballard live right now over carrier USS Independence wreck

1,424 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by titan
titan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
titan
S
JUST FYI- Ballard live right now over carrier USS Independence wreck

http://www.nautiluslive.org/

Go here, by Live I mean now, 9:40am Aug 23rd.

This is the sister-ship of Bush41's San Jacinto, scuttled after the Bikini bomb tests of July 1946.

Those familiar with Battle of Leyte Gulf Oct 1944 will be interested because Independence is also the same class as carrier Princeton, sunk there, and whose drama is somewhat known. And one final bit of trivia -- so was President's Ford's carrier Monterey. He nearly went overboard in the great typhoon of Dec 1944 that sank three US destroyers.
JR_83

Wow, that's cool! Weren't the Independence class light carriers "forced" upon the Navy by Roosevelt? Seems like they were "told" to convert ~9 of the Cleveland class cruiser hulls to light carriers. I remember seeing the former USS Cabot tied up in New Orleans about 25 years ago. Don't think anyone ever could find the funds to turn it into a museum ship.

RebelE91
AG
I too saw the Cabot when it was docked in New Orleans. I remember it was pretty cool seeing it because I thought they (CVLs) were all gone. She was eventually scrapped in Brownsville and I think some of her guns were transferred to the Lexington in Corpus.
NormanAg
AG
quote:
This is the sister-ship of Bush41's San Jacinto . . . .

And one final bit of trivia -- so was President's Ford's carrier Monterey. He nearly went overboard in the great typhoon of Dec 1944 that sank three US destroyers.
I long for the days when we had a significant number of political leaders - Presidents and members of Congress - who had served in the military. I honestly think it made it huge difference in how our military was appreciated and honored for their sacrifice in serving our country.
titan
S
NormanAg,

Agree fully. Frankly feel now it should be a requirement to being POTUS. I think history will show we only thought the clueless-civilian as President worked because with few exceptions, they happened to have service background somewhere. Especially since the rise of TV candidate knowledge about basics has been getting really shallow. Notice how really bad Obama has been, and then Clinton before him, on the military and foreign policy. This is probably no coincidence. Especially in the age of poor historical preparation and colleges apparently teaching social engineering rather than the lessons of the past, imo the CinC needs to now be a separate post from Pres. Our highly politicized foreign policy and mis-use of war as a tool by complete fools regarding military history and what works and what doesn't, now common in both parties, is something that needs to change.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.