WWI - Readings, Podcasts, Where to go?

2,881 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by DeckMe80
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Been listening to the Hardcore History podcast series on WWI, 'Blueprint for Armageddon.'

He's mentioned a specific WWI book a few times but I can't recall the name. Something glory something. I think it's a broader book on the war itself.

Besides that, though, where have y'all learned about this time and event in history? Are there any more specific books, studies, or readings on certain parts you'd recommend?

I know the most about Somme, but honestly even that is a basic knowledge. I'd like to learn more on Verdun, as well as the non-Western Front aspects of the war.
Apache
AG
Sure wish my old "book thread" was still stickied.
Tuchmans "guns of August" is an amazing book about the start of the war.

Robert Graves "Goodbye to all that" is a classic as well.

For a great overview, try "A world Undone" by Meyer.
Aggies Revenge
AG
Hew Strachan's "World War I" is perhaps the best/most concise book of WWI.

Also check out the BBC History Podcasts, they have been running a good series on the war.

BBC History Extra
BQ78
AG
Have not heard the podcast but I suspect the book he is talking about is Alister Horne's A Desperate Glory. One of the best non-fiction works ever written about WW1. It is all about Verdun.
ja86
AG
another source is to check his reading list that he uses for each podcast. He uses a pretty extensive list.
Wearer of the Ring
AG
Vandiver's biography of Gen. Pershing is very good. Covers way more than WW1 but the its all good.
KY AG
AG
I've been doing a deep dive on WW1 the last few months - here's what I've read/am reading:

1. The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman. The book is really interesting as it goes through the lead up to WW1 (generally - it skips most of July and the Sarajevo affair) and then really digs into the first six weeks of war (August and September). I wish she had continued writing more books on WW1 because I really enjoyed her unique writing style - carefully capturing the thoughts and actions of leaders in real-time with all their unique personality quirks.

2. All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque. Remarque's history is fascinating and some day I intend to read all his books, but this is an interesting bit of historical fiction about what it was like serving on the German front lines in the trenches.

3. War Letters, 1914-1918, Vol. 1 - Wilbert Spencer. Very short read - don't want to give away too much, but interesting perspective from a 17 year old in the trenches for England.

4. War of Attrition by William Philpott. Just started reading this.

Ag by Vows
I just finished Blueprint for Armageddon yesterday. Trying to stave off some serious withdrawal.

He frequently and consistently mentions Peter Hart who wrote The Great War. He also frequently and, at times critically, mentions John Keegan. I'm not sure if he specified Keegan's book, but it may have been his survey, The First World War.

I chose to get Peter Hart's book and will be starting it soon. I also have Alister Horne's The Price of Glory on my list of potential reads.

In the meantime, enjoy the rest of the podcast. I felt a great emptiness during my morning commute today.
Apache
AG
Keegan's book is good, but I found Meyer's version to be an easier read with just as much info. Plus it has much, much better maps.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Thanks for all the replies, everyone!

Vows, I know what you mean. Hour or 2 after finishing a portion of episode 4 last night and I kept thinking about it while trying to shut down for the evening and go to sleep. Can consume you.
titan
S
KY AG, Apache,

quote:
I've been doing a deep dive on WW1 the last few months - here's what I've read/am reading:
Anyone interested in World War I, now is the time to do it. Because of the ---- very, very neglected 100th anniversary -- of World War I, it has at least seen a window where a number of authors and books on all kinds of aspects of the subject have been published. I would suggest grabbing some of the more prominent ones (whatever part of the war interests, I am saying check those out) because they will probably go out of print and become fairly rare in not too long a time. Its just some general advice, based on the fact that in the past items on WW I became fairly elusive not long after. In the cases when going to B&Noble and seeing a current or WW II book, and a rare new angle on some WW I action, I would get the WW I book for that reason, knowing can generally go back and get the others. Kindle may be changing this a bit, but its just an fy.

Aggies Revenge
AG
Oh and if you are looking for an Aggie biography on the Great War:

CA Brannen's "Over There" by TAMU Press
West Texan
AG
If you have Netflix, watch "14 - Diaries of the Great War". Really good documentary.
KY AG
AG
Has anyone read The Sleepwalkers by Christopher Clark?
Scorebook
AG
Sorry should have read OP
Presley OBannons Sword
Lawrence in Arabia is a good one as well
87Flyfisher
AG
A Storm in Flanders by Winston Groom is a good, detailed book that is easy to read on Ypres.
KY AG
AG
Just finished War of Attrition. Terrible book and waste of time.
West Texan
AG
Bumping this thread to see if anyone has anything else to add.

I'm finally about to start All Quiet On the Western Front and I just ordered the Guns of August.
Ag_EQ12
AG
There are a lot of new books coming out on the First World War with the centenary.

For the German and Austro-Hungarian side Alexander Watson's book Ring of Steel is fantastic.

A new book on the start of the war that been very well received is Christopher Clark's prize winning book The Sleepwalkers: How Europe Went to War in 1914.

I'll second a few that were already mentioned:

Alistair Horne's book on Verdun is fantastic The Price of Glory.
Hew Strachan's book is a great overview The First World War.
John Keegan's book is quite good and a classic now The First World War.

I've been on a bit of a deep dive myself. I'm planning a staff ride to the WWI battlefields this spring that should be pretty cool.
DeckMe80
West Texan said:

Bumping this thread to see if anyone has anything else to add.

I'm finally about to start All Quiet On the Western Front and I just ordered the Guns of August.
After you finish All Quiet on the Western Front (which is fiction), go straight to its sequel The Road Back. It is about the German soldiers returning home after the war and is full of descriptions of what we now call PTSD. It should be required reading for any national leader considering sending young men to war.

I recently read all of Remarque's novels and the two others that stand out are Three Comrades and The Black Obelisk. Both occur in post WWI Germany and give a glimpse into the economic and social conditions which precipitated the rise of Hitler.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.