Happy Birthday, Davy Crockett

2,157 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Cen-Tex
Martin Cash
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
230 today.
Cen-Tex
AG
Born in the Free Republic of Franklin
MGS
quote:
230 today.
227 years ago, he killed a bear.
Apache
AG
"Three Roads to the Alamo" is a great read for a great bio of Crockett (Along with Bowie and Travis)
Apache
AG
So did he

A. Surrender & get executed?

B. Die fighting, taking over a dozen Mexicans with him?

or

C. Get speared while heroically putting a torch to gunpowder stores?

Cen-Tex
AG
You can believe the De La Pena diary or Susannah D***inson's version, or... the version in the 1960 Waynamo movie. Regardless, he still died along with his 159 or 200+ defenders (another thread??) and was a Texas hero.
Apache
AG
No disputing that at all... just wanted to see where the TexAgs folks stand on the issue.
who?mikejones
AG
Hard to deny what I seen with my own eyes
Quad Dog
AG
http://historymatters.gmu.edu/d/5816/
This is a great story told by Crocket about the year he killed 105 bears, 47 in one month.
Stive
AG
What was D-I-c-kinson's story?
Cen-Tex
AG
quote:
What was D-I-c-kinson's story?
After the battle, she saw Crockett's body between the chapel and barracks. Crockett and others were given the assignment of protecting the palisades area between the south wall and SW corner of the Alamo chapel. I assume her statement led people to believe Crockett died fighting in the proximity of his position.
Rabid Cougar
AG
quote:
http://historymatters.gmu.edu/d/5816/
This is a great story told by Crocket about the year he killed 105 bears, 47 in one month.
Very possible for Crockett to have killed that many bears. From descriptions about bears in the L&C journals, they saw bears as no different than deer, just another food source.
airplane driver
S
He did not like being called "Davy".
Rabid Cougar
AG
quote:
So did he

A. Surrender & get executed?

B. Die fighting, taking over a dozen Mexicans with him?

or

C. Get speared while heroically putting a torch to gunpowder stores?

My vote is C.

However, Logically, I think A. He was a politician. I think he thought he could save himself because of his "status". Being an "outsider", he didn't know that the Mexican's didn't play by those rules.
Stive
AG
I have zero historical context to base this on:

I'll go ahead and go with the story that he died in the fighting. She wouldn't have had a reason to make that up and in a battle like that, the "big names" for just as easily as the little ones.
Cen-Tex
AG
quote:
I have zero historical context to base this on:

I'll go ahead and go with the story that he died in the fighting. She wouldn't have had a reason to make that up and in a battle like that, the "big names" for just as easily as the little ones.
Who knows how Crockett met his demise. In later years, Susannah D'inson was suspected of changing her Alamo account, depending upon her audience. Penned on period paper, the account of Lt Col de la Pena is believable. But some naysayers accuse de la Pena of writing the 'execution' into his account of the battle because he despised Gen Santa Anna. Choose your poison.
Cen-Tex
AG
A publication that helped turn David Crockett into 'Davy Crockett - King of the Wild Frontier' was the Davy Crockett Almanac. The almanacs were published from 1835-1856 and full of tall tales that made Crockett larger than life.

This one was published a year after Crockett's death.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.