Anniversaries of two atom bombs being used.....

2,483 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by cbr
Rabid Cougar
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
..and not a single thread. Very good, we all agree it was necessary.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I believe there is a current thread on the politics board that at least delved into the topic.
libertyag
AG
My dad was a Marine on Tinian when the two bombs were dropped. Kept him from having to go to Japan so from his standpoint (and mine!) it was worth it.
NormanAg
AG
This is an interesting link about the initial plans by the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum in regards to their display of the restored Enola Gay.

http://digital.lib.lehigh.edu/trial/enola/

quote:
[url=http://digital.lib.lehigh.edu/trial/enola/r1/]1: Squaring Off, 1981 - 4/15/94[[/url]
The Smithsonian proposal to mark this important anniversary as a "crossroads" -- consonant with a new Smithsonian philosophy of museumship by Secretary Robert McCormick Adams and NASM Director Martin Harwit -- is unsuccessfully questioned privately by the Air Force Association, led by John T. Correll.

[url=http://digital.lib.lehigh.edu/trial/enola/r2/]2: Resistance Movement, 4/16 - 10/26/94[[/url]
Organized opposition, now public -- including the American Legion, members of Congress, and World War II veterans of all stripes -- to the direction of the Smithsonian exhibit mounts, forcing several more drafts, none of which satisfies the critics.

[url=http://digital.lib.lehigh.edu/trial/enola/r3/]3: Exhibit Denied, 10/26/94 - 3/1/95[[/url]
A group of historians vigorously defend the museum, but a dispute over the number of lives saved by dropping the bomb dooms negotiations for an exhibit acceptable to the critics, and new Smithsonian Secretary Michael Heyman admits the museum made a mistake, cancels the exhibit, and plans a new, uncontroversial one.

[url=http://digital.lib.lehigh.edu/trial/enola/r4/]4: Exhibit Allowed, 3/1 - 6/30/95[[/url]
In the period before the new exhibit opens, the group of historians calls for national teach-ins in protest, Smithsonian damage control includes a conference on museums in a democratic society at the University of Michigan, and Martin Harwit resigns just before two days of hearings begin in the Senate.

5: Wake of the Controversy, 6/28/95 - 1996 >>>>> 2003

Retrospects and reflections on the controversy following the opening of the new exhibit. The controversy over how the Enola Gay should represent history gradually becomes history itself. Yet the same controversy flares anew briefly in 2003 when the plane is moved to a permanent home in the new National Air and Space Museum at Dulles Airport.
I remember being really pissed at the Smithsonian over this issue. We lived in the DC area from 1984-88 and the Air and Space Museum was my family's favorite (wife, 14 year old, 5 year old) by far. And we went to all of the Smithsonian museums numerous times while we were there. (It's still my kids favorite, and THEIR kids favorite when they visit DC.)

I've sorta, kinda, mellowed over the years, thanks to some of the head guys resigning and the revisionist historians not getting their way in the end, but it is still a sore spot for me.
byfLuger41
AG
Extremely necessary.

terata
AG
Read "Prisoner of the Japanese"; the bomb was necessary.
Rabid Cougar
AG
quote:
I believe there is a current thread on the politics board that at least delved into the topic.
I don't see it is a political discussion. Historians and military strategist discussions? Yes.

I have no time for apologist though.
Cardiac Saturday
AG
quote:
Read "Prisoner of the Japanese"; the bomb was necessary.
By Wade or by Daws?

Both books have nearly the same title; need to know which one you recommend.
aalan94
AG
Hiroshima, absolutely yes. Nagasaki maybe. I think that's a distinction worth making.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
quote:
quote:
I don't see it is a political discussion. Historians and military strategist discussions? Yes.

I have no time for apologist though.
I agree that the decision to drop the bomb is not political. It is historic and it was a decision made for military and strategic reasons. But it has become a political topic. Think back to when the Smithsonian first unveiled the Enola Gay. There was a lot of political crap about why it was bad for the bomb to be dropped. It has been ushered into the political discussion arena because of that.

And on TexAgs I think it's always the same group that likes to say we should not have dropped the bomb. I am in the group that says we were absolutely right to drop it.
NormanAg
AG
quote:
Think back to when the Smithsonian first unveiled the Enola Gay. There was a lot of political crap about why it was bad for the bomb to be dropped. It has been ushered into the political discussion arena because of that.
I did, and totally agree!
Cen-Tex
AG
quote:

And on TexAgs I think it's always the same group that likes to say we should not have dropped the bomb. I am in the group that says we were absolutely right to drop it.
I wonder if the naysayers against using the bomb would have felt the same if they were an 18-19 yr. old aboard an LCI, LCT, or Higgins boat about to land on a Japanese occupied beach.
NormanAg
AG
Exactly!

My FIL was a tank driver in the Philippines when the war ended. His unit was preparing to participate in the invasion of Japan. He was very, very vocal about his support for the Atomic bombing of Japan.

Sadly, he passed in 2001 - he was a terrific guy. My alive and kicking 90 year old MIL? Not so much . . .
terata
AG
For Cardiac - Daws
Apache
AG
My next door neighbor gave me his uncles memoirs of the Bataan deal march. I'll post them here sometime. Those bombs were necessary.
TRD-Ferguson
AG
My Dad, who will be 93 on 8/30, was a Marine preparing to invade Japan when the bombs were dropped. Had already seen action on Guadalcanal and other "tourist destinations" as he calls them. He has never questioned the need to drop those bombs.
Cardiac Saturday
AG
quote:
For Cardiac - Daws
Thanks!
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
World's greatest celebrations showed no poll was necessary as to whether the A-bombs should have been used
NJ75AGfdt
Both were necessary. The war council, made up of 3 army and 3 navy officers could not come to a unanimous decision to continue fighting or surrender. The navy admirals wanted to surrender, while the army generals wanted to continue fighting following Hiroshima. The emperor would rubber stamp a unanimous decision, but not intervene or leave all as "status quo." .

Following the Nagasaki bomb, the 3 / 3 vote was repeated, but he emperor broke tradition and stated the country needed to surrender. The emperor recorded a surrender message on a record that was to be broadcast the next day. That set off a desperate attempt by some army officers to destroy the record to continue fighting. A number of brave souls lost their lives protecting the record until reinforcements could suppress the army officers attempt to destroy the record.
"It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man," Psalm 118:8.

"In God we trust...all others pay cash!"
Bregxit
AG
Pacing The Cage said:

My Dad, who will be 93 on 8/30, was a Marine preparing to invade Japan when the bombs were dropped. Had already seen action on Guadalcanal and other "tourist destinations" as he calls them. He has never questioned the need to drop those bombs.
My wife's grandfather who just turned 97 a few months back was a Navy doctor on Ulithi Atoll through the end of the war and felt the same way.
cbr
AG
The bombs were much needed, more because of Stalin than Japan. Little did we know the commies had our bomb designs. But to end the war, the bomb was put to good use.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.