New HBO Miniseries (spin off series to BOB and The Pacific) to debut in early 2017

3,338 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Eliminatus
SBISA Victim
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

"The mighty eighth" will focus on the US Eigth Air Force bombing campaign. At the time this trailer was made filming had not actually started yet, but the script was out to cast.

This trailer is nothing more than a concept trailer to pitch the idea. It should be interesting. I just hope it isn't full of CGI.
JABQ04
AG
quote:

"The mighty eighth" will focus on the US Eigth Air Force bombing campaign. At the time this trailer was made filming had not actually started yet, but the script was out to cast.

This trailer is nothing more than a concept trailer to pitch the idea. It should be interesting. I just hope it isn't full of CGI.

Is this the real trailer? It's been out for probably close to two years and some of the back ground dialogue is from SPR (specifically Omaha beach where the guys is screaming for his mom with his guts hanging out). Seems to be more of a fan CGI, albeit a pretty good one.

Still hope it's true. I've heard these rumors about an 8th AF mini-series for a while. I'm very excited if it's the case!!

After a quick google, I still found nothing concrete. Most everything that mentions it is dated from Aug. 2015 or earlier. Hate to be the pessimist but still don't think it's beyond talks/ pre-production. I'd like to imagine of it it had a release with in the next 6-8 months wee hear more about it or there would be more news on the Internet. If it's happening I still think we have a while to wait on it.

* Also they spend entirely too long with out wearing their oxygen masks*
SBISA Victim
AG
quote:
quote:

Is this the real trailer? It's been out for probably close to two years and some of the back ground dialogue is from SPR (specifically Omaha beach where the guys is screaming for his mom with his guts hanging out). Seems to be more of a fan CGI, albeit a pretty good one.

Still hope it's true. I've heard these rumors about an 8th AF mini-series for a while. I'm very excited if it's the case!!

After a quick google, I still found nothing concrete. Most everything that mentions it is dated from Aug. 2015 or earlier. Hate to be the pessimist but still don't think it's beyond talks/ pre-production. I'd like to imagine of it it had a release with in the next 6-8 months wee hear more about it or there would be more news on the Internet. If it's happening I still think we have a while to wait on it
This was a concept trailer. The intent was to pitch the idea and was made before filming started. Here is a link to my sources! http://710keel.com/new-spielberg-hanks-wwii-series-coming-to-hbo-video/
JABQ04
AG
Don't get me wrong. I really hope this is coming out sooner rather than later. I've been looking forward since I saw this teaser trailer or whatever it is about two years ago! Highly overlooked portion of the war and despite better living conditions than the infantry they had the worst combat job (IMHO) than anyone else. Casualty rates were higher for bomber crews than the marines in the pacific.
The Original AG 76
AG
The classic TV series Twelve O'Clock High, centered around the 8th is one of the greatest war series ever made. It uses a TON of real combat footage and has some great stories. Growing up watching Twelve O'Clock High and COMBAT was a real treat since the war was still so fresh, so many of the actors actually served and there was a lot of real equipment available for filming.
Both were recently shown on METV at gawd awful o'clock but I hope you guys got to see them.
SRBS
Great TV shows. Bought the whole Combat series on DVD a couple years ago and the show holds up tremendously well. Just as good as I remembered as a kid.

Think I'm gonna shop for 12 o'clock High!
AEK
AG
I think that trailer is based on the Kassel Mission. My grandpa flew with the 445th BG in the war. He reported to Tibbenham the day of the raid and saw the aftermath first hand.
45-70Ag
AG
Hope it's better than the pacific. Loved band of brothers.

But that trailer is terrifying and I'm looking forward to when it comes out.
byfLuger41
agnatgas
BQ78
AG
Looks good.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I loved both Band of Brothers and The Pacific; in fact, I probably like The Pacific better slightly.

As a life-long WWII aviation nut, I am looking forward to this like nothing before. I bought the original book that the series is based upon but have yet to start reading it. "Masters of the Air" or something like that.
BQ78
AG
Cinco:

You and I might be the only ones that like The Pacific better. I think it does a better job of conveying the horror of war. And I'm usually Euro-centric with my WW2 interest.

My inderstanding about this new series is that it will be more BOB like in that it will follow the exploits of one squadron.
Rabid Cougar
AG
quote:
Cinco:

You and I might be the only ones that like The Pacific better. I think it does a better job of conveying the horror of war. And I'm usually Euro-centric with my WW2 interest.

My inderstanding about this new series is that it will be more BOB like in that it will follow the exploits of one squadron.
I think a "Pacific"/BoB type movie on Guadalcanal by itself would be awesome with all the air, land and sea battles.
AggieEP
It's not really fair to compare BoB and the Pacific since they are forced to tell their stories in such different ways. In BoB we get to follow one unit that is involved in many iconic operations over the course of 3 years. We also have a wide variety of carriers including officers and enlisted.

The Pacific is based on two different books since there aren't any units that in any cohesive way fought at all or most of the iconic pacific battlefields. To have the series grounded in reality they were forced to introduce us to lots of characters with very few of them (outside of Basilone and Sledge) being that memorable.

Having read Sledge's book I don't think that he really felt the same kind of camaraderie that the European theater guys had. As a mortar troop he just wasn't part of the same kind of small unit combat maneuvers, so the series focuses on the associated horrors of war more than the valorous of battle.

Having said all of the above, I like the Pacific because I think it's an under represented theater and also my great grandpa fought in the Phillipines.

Oh, and totally excited about the prospect of an 8th AF series. There are still lots of compelling WWII stories waiting to be told if HBO wants to do it as well. Think how cool an OSS program or something on how we broke the Enigma and destroyed their u-boats could be.
Eliminatus
AG
quote:
Cinco:

Chalk up another one for preferring The Pacific more. I am slightly biased however as I served with the Seventh Marines myself. The Seventh made it's mark in that campaign. I consider them my professional ancestors.

Overall I prefer the raw emotions of the Pacific more. BoB is an incredible series in it's own rights but it is structured differently. BoB was told around the actual events of the Euro campaign itself. The Pacific dealt more with the mental aspects of fighting a fanatical enemy in some of the worst conditions ever endured.

Apples and oranges really. I just appreciate the storytelling in The Pacific a little more. Especially as I can sympathize with fighting an enemy you rarely see and fights dirty. I don't think there is ever any question on the difference between the Wehrmacht and the Imperial Japanese Army as opponents on the field of battle.

This scene continues to be one of my favorites of all time as it conveys to me the sheer brutality and rawness of fighting not just an enemy...but monsters that needed to be eradicated to the last man. When SNAFU is laying into that fallen Japanese soldier with his Thompson while screaming at him to ****ing die....man. I feel that.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.