reading recommendations Texas History

6,931 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by dcbowers
AgBQ-00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
OK. I am wanting to do more reading about all phases of Texas history. Do any of you have recommendations for books about the different phases? I.e. Exploration,
Spanish settlement attempts, Spanish-Indian relations, Mexican period, American immigration and Texas war for independence.

Any suggestions of good biographies of major figures? Thanks for any direction to good reads
airplane driver
S
I enjoyed Michner's "Texas"; He uses fictional characters to tell Texas' history. "Three Roads to the Alamo was good - about Travis, Bowie and Crockett; "Lone Star" by Farenbach is an in-depth look into Texas.
dcbowers
AG
"Lone Star: A History Of Texas And The Texans" by T.R. Fehrenbach.

The book, at 761 pages, is both detailed and comprehensive. It starts with the pre-historic Amerind and ends with the rise of LBJ (the book was published in 1968). Lots of stories about the Spanish settlements, war(s) for independence, Indian wars, and the Texas Rangers. No doubt many present-day readers would consider the book to be strikingly Anglo-centric, but this is a result of the victors writing history, the times the book was written, and its intended audience. Reading this book motivated me to travel and tour the locales where the historic events depicted occurred. A must read.

Available on Amazon for $39 (new hardcover), $13 (new paperback), $9.49 (kindle), and $0.24 (used hardcover).
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Aggie63
AG
"Lone Star" by Fehrenbach covers every one of the area the original poster asked about. Extremely detailed and comprehensive. I concur with others who recommend this book.
BQ78
AG
After Fehrenbach read anything by Robert Weddle, he'll also tell you about the French in Texas too.
Rabid Cougar
AG
"Empire of the Summer Moon" The Rise and Fall of the Comanche Indian. S.C. Gwynne

They were a very powerful force that were in play in the eras you are asking about.
Rabid Cougar
AG
quote:
DP
tmaggies
AG
Indian Depredations in Texas
AgBQ-00
AG
Thanks for all the suggestions. Think I will start with Lone Star.
huisachel
Glad someone mentioned Indian Depredations; it is an antidote to all the junk portraying the original settlers as a bunch of zen environmentalists and goes a long way towards explaining why so many early anglo Texans were in favor of genocide.

The Conquest of Texas describes in detail why and how they went about the ethnic cleansing after fighting off Mexico.

Noah Smithwick's memoir is a superb account of what it was like to be a of the first generation of anglo settlers.

Go to the library of congress online and look at the Texas Slave Narratives for a taste of what that was like. In the 1930s the New Deal hired a bunch of writers in the south to interview surviving slaves and ask them questions about their lives during slavery, the war and in reconstruction and afterwards. It aint Gone With The Wind and it aint Kunta Kinte either.

On the Border With Mackenzie is good on the US cavalry and the border wars with the bandits and Indians.

David Montejano's Anglos and Mexicans in the Making of Texas is pretty good on that subject and is a good supplement to Fehrenbach, who wrote a beautiful epic but left a lot out because he was interested in what might generously be described as anglo ethnocentrism. He saw the ethnic blend coming but viewed it with trepidation.

J. Evetts Haley's Charles Goodnight, Cowman is the best ranching history of early Texas ever written and you will recognize several of your favorite characters from Lonesome Dove. McMurtry loved that book and borrowed from it considerably.

There are a lot of splendid books about Texas and barns full of junk.
AEK
AG
Goodbye to a River by John Graves.
CanyonAg77
AG
I believe that "john" Goodnight's first name was "Charles".

On the Border with Mackenzie is the only account I know of written by a cavalryman who was in the Red River Wars. His attitude toward "the noble savage" was not very PC.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Spoke to my dad, who has an extensive library:

Comanches - T.R. Fehrenbach- Typical Fehrenbach- Very good.

Texas Rangers - A Century of Frontier Defense.- Walter Prescott Webb. He said it was an old book written in 1935 . Very dry but very detailed.

I have not read either of these books but he said they some of the best of his "old" books.
93Spur
The above are already recommended (and seconded here).

Also -

The Texas Rangers: Wearing the Cinco Peso, 1821-1900, by Mike Cox (and sequential books).

Paper Republic: The Struggle for Money, Credit and Independence in the Republic of Texas by James Bevill (a really good book on ROT finances - which drives much else).
GSPag`
"Empire of the Summer Moon"

I highly recommend it.

And the Charles Goodnight book by Haley is also a great read as are all the other books mentioned.
aalan94
AG
All those books are good recommendations. I spent most of a morning showing TR Fehrenbach around the Texas Capitol. Got a signed copy of "Lone Star" out of it.
plowboy1065
S
A Visit to Texas in 1831. A personal journal of a traveler who describes the daily sights and events while journeying through Texas before its independence. Great book
Apache
AG
quote:
Go to the library of congress online and look at the Texas Slave Narratives for a taste of what that was like.
Thanks for this link Huisache.... I read a few of the narratives & they are absolutely fascinating.
Schall 02
AG
Say you get one book and only one book...

It's Goodbye to a River. John Graves knows.
aalan94
AG
Sam Houston's slave wrote a narrative, in which he was very positive about Sam and said "he didn't beat me too much."

I think most slaves who were not on the industrial sized plantation system had complex relationships with their masters more on the line of a parent/child relationship that was sometimes, but not always abusive. There was also a bit of Stockholm syndrome going on.
who?mikejones
AG
Anyone have a good book about nacogdoches/East Texas?
tmaggies
AG
Gunsmoke in the Redlands
who?mikejones
AG
OldCamp
quote:
I think most slaves who were not on the industrial sized plantation system had complex relationships with their masters more on the line of a parent/child relationship that was sometimes, but not always abusive. There was also a bit of Stockholm syndrome going on
Reading the narratives, it is evident that many slave owners considered the slaves to be as adopted members of the family.
There was often a familial love that is borderline disturbing to us now days as we struggle to comprehend the complexity of slavery.
It could have been stockholm syndrome, but that is more of a traumatic reaction.
It certainly is not the hollywood version of events
OldCamp
quote:
Anyone have a good book about nacogdoches/East Texas?
"Land of Bears and Honey" is fantastic.
It is general East Texas history....not specifically Nacogdoches
BQ78
AG
Pine tree:

True, if you were a slave that worked in the house or grew up playing with master's children but if you worked the land the Hollywood version is not too far off, as long as it's not GWTW.
OldCamp
I would encourage anyone interested in Texas history to read the narratives and draw their own conclusions.
You can skip around. I found most to be pretty consistent and redundant.
BQ78
AG
Pine Tree:

I have read quite a few slave and master first person accounts and while generalities apply there are unique situations. The slave experience in Texas is way different than Louisiana or Mississippi. In Texas if you only owned a slave or two you were probably right there with them working together to sustain your business.
lew09
AG
I have to echo many of the previous suggestions ("Goodbye to a River" is a must for any Texan canon). Texian Iliad by Stephen Hardin is the most comprehensive military history of the Texas Revolution that I have ever come across. It's in-depth analysis of strategy and tactics sans any political commentary makes it a worthwhile read for the military scholar. If you want to travel outside of non-fiction and read a novel that captures a specific time in Texas very well, I would suggest "The Time it Never Rained" by Elmer Kelton.
plowboy1065
S
I've heard great things about Kelton. He's on my to read list
lew09
AG
quote:
I've heard great things about Kelton. He's on my to read list
Mr. Kelton has been compared to other western genre novelists like Zane Grey and Louis L'amore, but I don't even put them in the same category. He once said, "I can't write about heroes seven feet tall and invincible. I write about people five feet eight and nervous." Although the characters in "The Time it Never Rained" were fictionalized, Kelton felt that it was more of a reporting assignment, as he'd lived through the drought in the '50s in West Texas and seen these things happen to his neighbors. I would also recommend the Hewey Calloway trilogy ("Six Bits a Day", "The Good Old Boys", and "The Smiling Country").
TXAGBQ76
AG
Three Roads to the Alamo; about Crocket, Travis, Bowie
AgBQ-00
AG
Better late than never. The last 7 months have been crazy busy. I am just now getting around to getting started on the books in this thread. Lone Star delivered to my door today. Looking forward to getting started on it tonight!!
dcbowers
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

Better late than never. The last 7 months have been crazy busy. I am just now getting around to getting started on the books in this thread. Lone Star delivered to my door today. Looking forward to getting started on it tonight!!

Well, did you finish it yet?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AgBQ-00
AG
Ha. Not quite. I had to force myself to put it down though. Reading about the Indians and the "old americans" as he called them. Had never heard of people predating the ones who came from asia. I found that all fascinating and really want to see the carved trinity river heads he mentioned.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.