One Doolittle Raider Remains

4,115 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by eric76
GasAg90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff Sergeant David Thatcher a hero of the famed "Dootlittle Raid" on Tokyo in 1942 passed away recently Leaving the remaining Raider left Lt. Col. **** Cole. RIP you have earned your way.
CanyonAg77
AG
Here.
coupland boy
AG
Maybe there should be a different filter setting on the History board. I've seen that happen more than once.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Here.
harleyds2
AG
FYI

I received a copy of a book on the Doolittle raid that he signed this year. He is an Aggie and the book will be auctioned in the Corps of Cadets fundraiser this fall
oragator
Cole's 101st birthday was yesterday by the way.
hillcountryag86
AG

Very nice man.
Pro Sandy
AG
Friend of mine quasi stalked him to the cafe he eats at everyday to have him sign a book. Said Cole drove himself and invited my friend to eat with him

oragator
He was here in DC recently when they named the new long range strike plane after the raiders. There is a video interview with him here - He's still sharp, hope he has a number of years left, he's an invaluable surviving link to history.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2016/09/19/last-surviving-doolittle-raider-takes-stage-air-force-conference.html
GasAg90
I see Col. Cole several times a year and should see him in several weeks. Seeing that this board is very interesting and has some true lovers of history I thought that there could be some questions that if given the chance (maybe last) that some would ask the last surviving Doolittle Raider. If you have any questions please post them and I will try to ask as many as possible.

In addition to the Raid, he also flew the Hump from 1942-43 and flew with the 1st Air Commandos supporting Wingate in the aerial invasion of Burma 43-44'

oragator
I think his military exploits have been well covered.
But I am always fascinated by his generations views on today's world, given the almost unimaginable changes and number of major world events they have seen. Heck this guy was born before WWI started for us. I would wonder what his advice to this generation's military and to the country in general would be.
dcbowers
AG
Per "Target Tokyo: Jimmy Doolittle and the Raid that Avenged Pearl Harbor" (p. 125), Richard Cole was Doolittle's copilot.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
eric76
AG
Notice his cap:

Photo from http://www.doolittleraider.com/raiders/cole.htm.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.