Any documentary recommendations?

3,252 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jickyjack1
chrisrrtx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Preferably on Netflix or stream able online from content provider.
I'm open to pretty much every subject of history.
VanZandt92
Actually, one I recently enjoyed is on YouTube,which is BBC The Normans. It was great. Multiple episodes.
VanZandt92
The Normans - Men from the North
BrazosBendHorn
Hitler's Lost Sub (a PBS documentary that's viewable on Youtube, in 8 segments). Wreck diving a mystery U-boat that was discovered back in the 1990s off of New Jersey (and wasn't listed in any of the wartime ASW reports). Well worth 2 hrs of your time.

LINK
Rabid Cougar
AG
Not being smart but you essentially asked to be given the history of mankind.
Maybe give a time period/conflict/historical topic interested in?
chrisrrtx
AG
Kind of the point.
I wanted to learn more in general. And the best way to expand is to take bits and pieces of others passions/interests.

I'm mainly just polling everyone on what a few of their favorite documentaries are.
JABQ04
AG
Always been a fan of Ken Burns' "The Civil War"
WWII in HD
Vietnam in HD
Ken Burns' "Baseball"
WWII in Color
Victory at Sea (a classic)
The Battered *******s of Baseball.
WWI Apocolypse
Corporal Punishment
AG
quote:

I want to see this.
BrazosBendHorn
Here's a list of 33 documentaries that are available right now on Netflix.

LINK

who?mikejones
AG
The propaganda game is nuts. Another one about best Korea is coming out that sounds interesting as well.

Jiro dreams of sushi is great.

Neither really have to do with history
BillYeoman
Paris 1919. Great documentary.

On YouTube in 2 parts. I always forget Ho Chi Mihn was at the peace conference.
West Texan
AG
14 - Diaries of the Great War is on Netflix. I loved it, covered the accounts of soldiers on the front and people on the home front to give a great overall picture of what it was like to live through WWI.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
quote:
Hitler's Lost Sub (a PBS documentary that's viewable on Youtube, in 8 segments). Wreck diving a mystery U-boat that was discovered back in the 1990s off of New Jersey (and wasn't listed in any of the wartime ASW reports). Well worth 2 hrs of your time.

LINK
This sounds interesting. Gonna have to watch this.
Spyderman
AG
aalan94
AG
A couple of good ones:

The Spanish Civil War. Look this up. It's on YouTube even. Great documentary on a war you might not know much about, but you should.

Legacy/In Search of the Trojan War/In the Footsteps of Alexander the Great - Three great documentaries by the British Historian Michael Wood. The Trojan War one is really, really good and entertaining. Will give you great perspective on what we know about the Trojan War, what's myth, and what may be the truth hiding in the myth (for example, what was probably the Troy of the story was actually toppled by an earthquake, and the Greek God of earthquakes (Poseidon) is also the God of horses, so the story of the Trojan horse may be a metaphor for an earthquake that delivered the city to the Greeks). In the Footsteps of Alexander the Great is awesome. Wood literally walks, drives and sails Alex's route. In Iraq (this was in the 1990s), he flies over the battlefield on a US Awacs plane. In Afghanistan, he goes on foot and gets out just before the Taliban came to power.

The Day the Universe Changed - A good series on history, science and how they interact. British guy named James Burke. Funny and really good.

Also, if you have seen The Greeks, there's a British historian named Bettany Hughes on it. She's older and plumper these days, but in her younger days she used to do documentaries that were fun to watch, because, as me and a buddy said, she was "Professor Cleavage." She would do things like ride up from offscreen on a horse or talk about "thrusting their spears" into their enemies while making a motion with her hips. It was good history and entertainment at the same time.

Corporal Punishment
AG
quote:
quote:

I want to see this.

I learned a lot about the origins of the Normans watching this one. I knew little pre 1066 about these people.

Good thread.
Spyderman
AG
aalan94
AG
Spiderman, take it to the conspiracy/fake history board.
Spyderman
AG
BQ78
AG
The Fabulous Whites of West Virginia, it is basically Idiocracy the documentary
Goose83
AG
If you're into doucmentaries on pop culture, Crumb, about 60's underground cartoonist Robert Crumb and his (to put it nicely) extremely idiosyncratic family is well worth a watch.
ChoppinDs40
AG
The wild and wonderful whites of West Virginia.

HTH
BQ78
AG
Aggie Fanatic:

You be correct, I was probably flailing due to bad meth when I posted that.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Zeitgeist and inside job. Make sure you aren't suicidal before you watch these.
jickyjack1
Crumb's a strange cat, but he can draw and do the banja. Like a natural.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.