Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

How to train for a 10k?

834 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Sweep4-2
Owen Kellogg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm running a 10k in a couple of months and would like to perform well. It's part of a marathon relay.

I'm in decent shape and capable of running one now, but it would be slow. My current 'base' is 2 to 3 5k's per week, occasionally longer, but I haven't been pushing pace.

What should I focus on? Cross training? etc.

TIA!
Whitehouse Road
AG
I'd take a look at one of Hal Higdon's 10k training programs.
Matsui
AG
This is the way to go.
Swarely
Whitehouse Road said:

+1

Download the Run with Hal app. His marathon plans have helped me tremendously.
Southlake
No cross training. This is an easy way to train for a 10k: Run 1 mile splits at your desired race pace minus 30 seconds with a 2 minute rest between splits.

Start at 3 miles and work your way up to 5.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Southlake said:

No cross training. This is an easy way to train for a 10k: Run 1 mile splits at your desired race pace minus 30 seconds with a 2 minute rest between splits.

Start at 3 miles and work your way up to 5.

This is a bit over-simplified, as it's important to talk about frequency of these workouts and need to incorporate lower intensity runs to build your cardiovascular base when talking about running programs.

Programs like Hal Higdon's will give the appropriate ratio of speed work (as well as type of speed work) and low intensity work, although I personally don't use any specific plans and just do my own program, stealing ideas from other plans.

My personal opinion is that the biggest factor in improving race times is volume. The more miles you run, the better your times will get (although there are obviously diminishing returns). The usual recommendation is 1-2 speed work sessions a week, more as you get closer to the race. Speed work should be varied incorporating both interval/repetition work and tempo/threshold runs.

Intervals will typically look something like 800m x 4-8 to 1600m x 2-4 at 5k-10k goal pace with 400m-800m recovery where you are running at your easy pace. Repetitions will typically be similar distance, although instead of recovery runs, you'll just relax for 2-4 minutes, and then do it again. You should start at the shortest distance and slowly build your way up.

Tempo and threshold runs are typically based on heart rate data, although you can go by feel, as well. Personally, I just pick my goal half marathon pace, and just run at that pace for 3-7 miles, which is usually near what your threshold pace should be (albeit slightly slower). Threshold is short for lactate threshold which is usually defined as the absolute max pace that you can sustain for 1 hour.

The rest of it is just 1 long run every 1-2 weeks and the remainder of your runs should be slow and easy, and when I say easy, it should feel uncomfortably easy the first few times you're doing it. You'll see a lot of people recommend 80:20 (easy runs: hard runs). I personally do more of a 70:30 ratio.

Overall, you should think about running the same way you think about weight lifting: progressive overload. Very slow, incremental increases in both distance and intensity.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
wcb
AG
There's one thing you need.

And it's not more cowbell.

It's this.

Whitehouse Road said:

Southlake
This is how I trained for my 10ks.

400ms to train for a mile

Mile repeats for 10k

10ks to train for a Half Marathon

Marathon training is a whole different animal.

( And I'm assuming this guy is already a decent runner)

Tex117
AG
I'd probably run a little first.
Sweep4-2
Just curious….what are you running now (distance/pace)? And what's your goal time/pace for the 10K?
Consistency: It's only a virtue if you're not a screw-up.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.