Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Anyone going to watch the Red Bull Last Stand in San Antonio?

1,343 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AggieOO
Walter Kovacs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://laststand.splashthat.com/

I may go and watch. 4 criterium races (men/women fixed/geared). 30-50 laps w/ the last man out.
AggieOO
looks cool, but not in SA. Would love to hear a quick report on how it is.
Walter Kovacs
AG
I managed to drag the family to this for a few hours and overall it was worth going to. The course was made up of the streets that go around Alamo plaza. Inside of the course was the Alamo, team tents, a Red Bull bar, and a few booths from local shops. There were surprisingly few vendors of any kind. The course was 820 meters or just a shade over a half mile. You could spectate from inside or outside of the course. The crowds were pretty decent for an event that didn't seem to get much love. Maybe 3000 people from what I could see. There was a strange mix of regular people, a ****load of photographers, fixie pixies/hipsters/homeless?, and roadies in full kit.

The racers themselves were a mix of elite club/semi-pros (some USA championship level), average joes, and what I'm guessing were locals who got trounced in qualifying. The men were fairly exciting to watch as the fastest guys put down 53 second half miles in qualifying. It more or less took a 56-57 to make it out of qualifying. The women's ranks were somewhat thin. There were a few that were 5 seconds back within the first 200 meters.

The riders were split into groups of 5-10 for qualifying. They were led out by motorcycle and had 2-3 shakedown laps before the 5 laps allowed for time. Your fastest time recorded was your qualifying time. The faster riders coasted for a lap or two, increased pace for the next lap, sprinted the long straight to the finish, and burned the 4th or 5th lap for their qualification time. A few of the guys looked like seasoned crit/velo racers because they absolutely manhandled the bike on the straights and were too beefy for normal roadies. A few guys ate **** around the corners but everyone was surprisingly smooth. The corners were wide enough to allow the fixed gear riders to keep up speed.

AggieOO
Thanks.

Saw some video from a friend who went. Those dudes were flying!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.