Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Binge Eating Disorder?

1,977 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Madmarttigan
PeterPan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So, I'm coming up on being 30 years old and I've hit a point in my life that I need to examine this. I don't think I'm quite to the level to say that I have Binge Eating Disorder, as some of the description is worse than what I do, and I don't eat obscene amounts of food, but it's well more than I should. But maybe I'm just not accepting it.

- I eat past the point of being full. But one problem I have is that my "you're full" nerve receptors seem to hit me about an hour too late. I never feel full during the meal, but an hour later, I'm miserable.

- I feel like I'm not in control of myself and what I'm choosing to eat.

- Eating when I am not hungry

- if junk food is present, I will snack on it. Sometimes I'm not even aware I'm doing it.

- Eating when someone else is paying. Example- I went to a conference last week where the vendor gave us a voucher for dinner the night we arrived. I had a delay, and I arrived to the hotel at 11:30pm. I had eaten a small dinner at the airport about 4- 5 hours prior, and I wasn't hungry, but the voucher was for that night only, so I ordered room service and ate a midnight meal.

- Mentally, I don't handle the "bad moments" well. I get upset with myself and vow to fix it, but very rarely do any better for more than a week at a time.

- My weight fluctuates wildly. I can easily lose 5 pounds in a week, or gain up to 10 (on a really bad week)

I've fluctuated between 180-230 pounds for most of my adult life (I'm 5'10) and wear a size large shirt, so I wouldn't call myself an obese person, but rather average in today's society.

in my mid 20s, I was able to drop 60 pounds over a year by watching my calorie intake, and working out, but I wouldn't necessarily call it healthy. I would often substitute a Clif bar or another "meal replacement bar" between 200-500 calories for my lunch. I've never really eaten breakfast in my past, which I also know is an issue. I work out a good amount, both cardio and weights.

It's almost like I have two switches -

1. Once I eat one "unhealthy" snack or meal, I no longer care about what I eat. I want a shake from the fast food place, or frozen yogurt from the mix-in places and/ or a huge dinner with no regard to if it's healthy.

2. Super- healthy mode- limit calories as much as possible. Other than one or two exceptions, I've never been able to sustain this for more than a week.

I know it's not healthy for me, and I need moderation. Part of this post is getting it off my chest, and admitting I have a problem. Any advice or tips? Anybody else struggle with this?
riverrataggie
AG
I struggle from over eating at times but it's not what I would call a disorder. I can just eat a lot of food and I mean a lot of food. I can also process it though quickly. Example, I did a super monster burrito (all of it) for lunch one day 6 years ago, had an afternoon snack and then went and worked out after work which included a 5k run. I'm 6'3" and usually go from 205 to 245. I was like 235 at the burrito time. I'm now 210ish and probably best shape of my life. Couple things I did.

#1 Alcohol. Cut it down to 7 drinks a week. Average one a day basically. You eat a lot of crap when you drink and don't realize it.

#2 get healthy snacks. Don't fight the eating of snacks. Snacks are good. But choose wisely and get rid of the other bad stuff.

#3 understand your cravings and find something to fit them that is better for you. Bring them into the actual meals.

#4 cut out soft drinks all together. I do la croix and haven't looked back.

#5 don't eat out as much.

Just a couple things but it's about being in control. You got this. One day at a time as well.
shano0603
AG
1. Cut out sodas and sweets. Drink water.
2. Don't have anything in your home that isn't healthy. Learn to make things taste better. Try to consume foods with little to no calories like lettuce, celery, etc.
3. When ordering from a restaurant, get a salad before your meal(ask for low calorie dressing) and ask that your plate not come for 20 minutes. Also drink a lot of water. This might trick your receptors into thinking you're full before the entree comes. Say no if they try and bring you bread.
4. Keep whey protein around. If you find yourself getting hungry, drink a shake. I eat like crazy, but after i drink a shake, I don't have the desire to eat for at least an hour.
5. Tell others around you and have them hold you accountable. This is much easier when you don't have to do it on your own.
6. Did I mention drink more water?
lazuras_dc
AG
I know your struggle man. In addition to the good advice above...One thing my friend suggested (and sounds silly) is putting your fork down between every bite.
lazuras_dc
AG
Also my wife used to buy a lot of junk food and I told her we can't have it in the house. She told me to have self control, but I likened it to telling an alcoholic to have self control while there beer and liquor in the fridge.
We've done better keeping only healthier-ish type foods in the house.
P.U.T.U
AG
Discipline yourself, are you stronger than the food or are you going to let food control you? Not everyone can just eat when they are hungry as they do what you do so create a schedule for yourself with set meals and portions. If you go out to eat get a doggy bag and put half of your food right away in there or mentally tell yourself you are just going to eat half the food (or at the Cheesecake factory less than that).

Watch the carbs, especially sugar since they put your body on a roller coaster and sugar is addictive. Focus on fats and protein. Keep healthy snacks like almonds around and count them out before hand, not just grab a bag when you are hungry.

Give yourself one cheat day a week, that is it. No junk food other than that. That does not mean one day a week eat a whole pizza, that means a couple pieces. Have that bowl of ice cream but you better not even touch it on your normal days.

Your weight fluctuating 10 pounds...think about that, 35,000 calories in excess. You are stronger than that.

PeterPan
Thank you guys for the notes/ advice.

riverrataggie - I don't really drink sodas at all. But you're absolutely right about not fighting snacks and I definitely eat out ok much, which feeds the problem.

shano - I'll try the protein shake trick. I have some laying around my office for after lunch workouts. I'll also grab a big water bottle and see if that helps.

lazuras - I agree with your alcohol comparison. It's nowhere near as dangerous to your short term health, but long term it can be just as bad.

putu - I think most of weight excess can be attributed to temporary weight of the food in my body. I will lose a big chunk of it after a couple of days. Some days I definitely feel like the food controls me more than the other way around. I've tried the cheat day program, but generally my first day after the cheat day is really tough. It's almost as if I'm addicted to sugar, and once I have it, it's hard to go the next day without.
aggiespartan
AG
This is probably going to sound silly, but get some hobbies. Most of my snacking is done while I'm sitting around, either at my desk or watching tv. If you are up doing more things, you'll be more active and won't be able to snack as much.
Endo Ag
AG
lazuras_dc said:

Also my wife used to buy a lot of junk food and I told her we can't have it in the house. She told me to have self control, but I likened it to telling an alcoholic to have self control while there beer and liquor in the fridge.
We've done better keeping only healthier-ish type foods in the house.
LOL. This is my house too. I gained a lot of weight when my wife was pregnant.
aznaggiegirl07
AG
according to the DSM-V, EDNOS ( eating disorder not otherwise specified) is a eating disorder, and binge eating falls under this category.

are you troubled by your eating? do you worry about it moreso than what is necessary?

could be a psychological issue, in which case, if you care to, may want to seek therapy....

usually when people having eating disorders ( bulimia, anorexia nervosa ,binge eating disorder) there may be underlying psychological issues even you may not be conscience of.

ecoag80
AG
I reached my peak weight this past December. At the same time I realized that I was having other physical issues that greatly impacted my breathing. I had no energy, which I blamed on my weight. I ate without thought. I went to the doctor who helped me with my breathing issue which was not weight related but definitely impacted energy. I was finally feeling better, amazing how breathing makes a difference....anyway, i had a friend who had a group doing a "my fitness pal" group watching calories.

What I discovered was not just the amount of food I was consuming but the calorie count I consumed exceeded my activity level. Fitness Pal was and is a great tool to use as it allowed me to understand eating habits better and what and and how much to eat. It allowed me to be selective based on how many calories I set for my goal, which for me was an education. I logged every meal for months...Once I had my breathing and food selection headed in the right direction I began the Couch to 10k program.

I am now down between 35 and 40 lbs depending on what day it is.I've run 10k twice, been 8 miles and working toward a half with a very similar couch program......My habits with my diet have been modified. I do not count my calories today as I did the first 4-5 months of the year but now I know my habits and what food works and what is a cheat.. I allow myself a cheat and do not treat those days with any guilt. My goal is to lose the weight over time, change my condition over time and enjoy it. Do not make it work or punishment. Go get a check up from the doc...make sure there is not an underlying health issue..there was for me..It took me a long time to get to where I was last December and I know it will take some time to get where I want to go...

Pick an eating program that works for you. Pick an exercise program that works for you. Don't beat yourself up on bad days, celebrate the good ones. Change takes time..habits become habits over time...My wife has been a huge support system, so find a support system or person, or coach who will support and encourage you. Good luck from an old fat man!
02skiag
AG
Perhaps making life long goals would be beneficial. I have short term goals by my life long goals is what keeps me at it. Ex. 1)Living as long as possible or 2)Being able bodied when you get old, elderly. Make your day to day decisions based on that. Think to yourself that every decision is helping that goal.
PeterPan
I was on a work/ vacation trip last week, and ate better than normal. Felt good about my moderation save one day.

spartan - Hobbies will definitely help, because sitting around doesn't help. Going to try something where if I'm at home and I feel the need for a snack while watching TV, instead do some pushups and situps and see if that helps.

aznaggiegirl07 - I am troubled by my eating enough to post a thread about it and see if I can rectify the issue, but I don't know if I worry about it moreso than necessary. I'll monitor myself from here out and see if I can be more self-aware.

ecoag - thank you for sharing your story. I agree that going through the calorie count the first time is eye-opening. When I lost the 50-60 pounds the first time, it was through MyFitnessPal and I was shocked. I now aim for 1500 - 2000 net calories a day - any workouts I do increase the calories I can eat. I weigh in the 220s right now and aiming back towards the 170 - 180 range, but I don't have a specific number in mind.

candyland - I guess I never thought about this, but I don't really think long-term that way. All of my goals are within the next year. (Other than saving $$ for retirement). Honestly I am motivated towards very specific goals, generic ones such as "live as long as possible" don't really work for me. Let me put some thought into it.
TUhatr
AG
One thing you need to do is try not to eat when you are "starving" I find that I tend to pig out when I waited too long to eat or skipped a meal like breakfast then end up eating a late lunch. I get to the table just famished and everything and anything sounds soooo good. Try to snack on nuts or some kind of protein during the day....it should curb the appetite of dying hunger when you do go out for lunch. Wash it down with tons of water as well, good for everything.
NoHo Hank
AG
I dated a girl for a few months that had a binge eating disorder. You'd never know it because she was really thin, but it was almost scary to watch her eat on a binge. When we first started dating, and before I really understood her disorder, I invited some friends over and cooked a blueberry cobbler from a Thomas Keller recipe book. In order not to screw it up, I followed the recipe exactly, so I ended up with probably 25,000 calories of cobbler. My friends came, and as a group, we ate 20% of it and the rest was out on the counter. Once the rest of the group left and my girlfriend and I were alone, she kept getting bowls of cobbler. I thought it was the same bowl because I was kind of drunk and didn't really pay attention, but suddenly I looked up and the whole thing was gone. She literally ate what was probably 3 lbs of cobbler and about a quart of ice cream. Then she laid down in the hallway and cried her eyes out because she hurt so badly but couldn't make herself throw up. Weird situation. Had no idea how to handle that at the time.

Anyway, we talked about this and for her, she had specific trigger foods that she had to avoid, period. Eating them caused her honestly to lose her mind. She was a pretty strong willed person, so I don't attribute this to just needing to have more self control or putting the spoon down. It was a mess. You might be somewhat down that road, although likely not to the extent she was at.

So, as you watch your diet, one thing I'd recommend in addition to the quality, general advice provided above is use a tool like myfitnesspal to track everything you eat. Look for binging episodes and try to isolate the types of food that you ate shortly before the binge. If you have a binge eating disorder in some capacity, that might give you some insight into what causes the episodes. For her, high fructose corn syrup made her lose her mind, so we avoided cooking with it or eating meals at restaurants that used it. I didn't buy snacks that had that. Obviously that's not a perfect solution by itself but in parallel with some of the other recommendations, you may find this helpful.
Seven Costanza
AG
This sounds overly simplistic, but I just don't buy food to snack on. Healthy food has calories too.

Metamucil can help, too. It gives you fiber and makes you feel full.
ATM9000
AG
2 things (because it sounds like struggles I've had):

1. Your receptors are probably fine and you just eat way too fast for them to catch on. Try to control the pace at which you eat. It seriously will do wonders in controlling your appetite. Haven't seen you say it here, but I'd bet a lot of money that when you sit down with friends or family, you are the first person done with their plate and it's not even close.

2. I used to travel a lot for work. Per diems and free food are a trap. Get out of your head the importance of if don't use them you lose them because I guarantee you this: if you eat to your company or conference's meal stipens they provide you, you are going to gain weight and quickly. When I was in my travel cycle I fell into that trap for a while. To fix it, I cut down to 2 meals a day. It is sort of like open bar at places, the older you get, the less valuable it is to you to get the most for your money at them. Treat per diems, meal vouchers and conference/company buffets the exact same way.
crowman2010
AG
This sounds 99.9% like my life...no lie!
Farmers6
Same here.
Madmarttigan
AG
I pretty much do everything the OP does.

I just try not to buy the stuff that triggers it and buy things that keep me full like nuts/cheese/meal bars.

I also get on the scale almost every day to try and keep myself honest, been in a rut lately but havent gained too much.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.