Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

KT Tape and Ankle Sprain

1,588 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TurboVelo
JohnLA762
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy. I sprained my ankle 2 weeks ago and have a Spartan Beast to run in 2.5 weeks. I have been running in a compression brace that you can buy at academy. It is effective in supporting my ankle and reducing some swelling. I was told that it would be a good idea to look into KT tape to use for the spartan race. Can anyone give me some feedback on the tape? Does anyone have any other advice I could use. Thanks in advance!
wangus12
AG
Not sure if the Spartan Beast still goes for the 100+ yard swim, but that might take your tape right off. I sweat a lot and I have issues sometimes when it comes getting the tape to stay when its humid.
AggieOO
If applied right, it's not coming off. I can shower with it and it doesn't budge.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Hope your legs are shaved otherwise it's going to come off.

Wipe down the application area prior with alcohol. That helps significantly. The more bends the tape takes, the more likely it is to loose adhesion.

Used it on my elbow for tendinitis frequently and it stays on but sweat + arm hair + bending of my elbow always led to it coming off in some capacity by the end of the workout.
AggieOO
Are you guys using actual KT tape or an off brand? My wife uses this stuff at work daily, so I have her apply it in the rare cases I'm using it. That crap does not come off, despite hair, sweat, showers, etc.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Actual KT tape. Applied per instructions.
AggieOO
strange. well, carry on then...maybe my skin has some weird adhesive properties and i'm the outlier.
Max06
AG
I use KT Tape but the "Pro" version, which is a bit thicker and stays put longer. I will easily go 4-5 days with it on, showering/running/working out. I find the biggest trick is to start with clean skin, apply it, and use a hair dryer to heat it a little for a good adhesion.
lazuras_dc
AG
Ive got old man back and will apply biofreeze then KT tape and it never comes off. I can shower, etc. and it stays on for a few days.
lazuras_dc
AG
By old man back I mean back pain, not a hairy back- which may affect KT tape placement.
TurboVelo
AG
I'm a big believer in KT Tape, and have been for years. I have oily skin, so getting it to stick was tricky at first. A couple tips:

1. Use the KT Tape Pro
2. Use the Spray Adhesive.
3. Use a blowdryer to heat it up after applied.
4. If you can put a compression wrap on it while it "sets", it will stay on VERY firmly. I once had it pull up skin when I went to take it off.
5. Don't let clothing rub off the ends.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.