Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Need Protein Advice

3,872 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by shano0603
titanmaster_race
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Without getting graphic, I've figured out that my stomach cannot handle whey protein. I've tried the gold standard chocolate whey, and quickly realized something in the powder was giving me issues.

But I'm not lactose intolerant, and dairy products don't bother my stomach at all. I thought maybe it was due to the artificial sweeteners gold standard uses, so I tried the HEB brand organic chocolate whey (that is advertised as having no artifical sweeteners). That also gives my stomach problems.

Is it common to have no problems with dairy, yet not be able to handle whey protein? Any advice on what I should turn to for a source of protein in the place of whey? Thanks in advance.
FW Declerk
Lean Meats..Do you workout so much that you need a protein supplement?
Aggietaco
AG
A fair amount of people have problems with whey protein. Pea and egg white protein powders are readily available at most grocery and health stores.
titanmaster_race
quote:

\_O_/

I'm in the gym 4 days a week
Hoosegow
Try some probiotics and digestive enzymes. They seem to help me with my issues with dairy.

or

Try the egg white protein as already suggested.
titanmaster_race
Thanks for the advice yall
Rudyjax
AG
A few options. You can try an isolate whey (fast digesting and easy on the stomach). You can do either a beef protein or pea protein. Or you can do liquid egg whites (Muscle Egg).
shano0603
AG
Problems? Like makes your stomach upset or makes you *****

Egg protein is where you should look. Beware, it ain't cheap. Say hey to mid 90 for me.
titanmaster_race
quote:
Problems? Like makes your stomach upset or makes you *****

Egg protein is where you should look. Beware, it ain't cheap. Say hey to mid 90 for me.

Stomach upset, nauseous, gassy, horrid poops.

mid90 says hi
victory
AG
what about an after workout shake? I have been using the 100 calorie Chocolate muscle milk for a few weeks now. I am looking to lose about 10-12 lbs currently and have also started the Advocare 24 day challenge
Rudyjax
AG
quote:
what about an after workout shake? I have been using the 100 calorie Chocolate muscle milk for a few weeks now. I am looking to lose about 10-12 lbs currently and have also started the Advocare 24 day challenge.
That'll help you with the weight if you're tracking your macros, but good god man look at that label.
victory
AG
quote:
but good god man look at that label.

This is why I'm asking about the product. What about it?

Rudyjax
AG
The macros on this are awesome. It's how they get there if all you are concerned about is macros it's fine. I do know some people that believe those are the end all be all and whatever it takes to get there.

But a good role of thumb for healthy eating is eat things on the label you don't have to google.

FW Declerk
quote:
quote:

\_O_/

I'm in the gym 4 days a week
understood.
culdeus
AG
I've been seeing more and more research here and there that you only really need 40g supplemental protein on workout days. On rest days you end up just pooping it and are better off just eating food.

Always been curious about rest/lift day nutrition splits. Anyone have any solid feel on this?
Hoosegow
That makes no sense culdeus, I mean absolutely 0. I mean bujeebuz culdeus that's a stupid post.

I bought some Carnivore beef protein today. It doesn't mix well. It smells like azz. It doesn't taste bad and no whey lactose problems
Class of '94
culdeus
AG
What's wrong with it exactly? I can dig up some of the research and things, i catch a lot of this on flipboard so it's a little hard to loop back.

To my central point though what do rest/work days change in people's diet?
Hoosegow
1. Protein is food. It is one of 3 macronutrients- the other 2 being fats and carbohydrates.
2. 40g of protein is roughly 160 calories.depending on what your goal is, 160 extra calories ain't jack.
3. Of course waste is pooped out. If your body doesn't need it, it is going to poop it out.
4. I think you are trying to say something here - you just aren't being clear.

As for your energy consumption on work/rest days, it is a lot of work and a lot of guessing on how much you need. You can try and balance according to your needs. I eat very few carbs during the week. I have a ton on squat day - Saturday - because I know I'll need the energy.
mts6175
AG
If you have to have a protein supplement, you could always try Carnivor Protein. I'll just warn you, it's an acquired taste.

https://www.amazon.com/MuscleMeds-Carnivor-Protein-Chocolate-Servings/dp/B004HY325K?th=1
Rosie11
AG
I don't do Dairy, Eggs, or Soy. I use the Sprouts Brand Vegan Protein powder. Doesn't give me issues and doesn't cost near as much as other non dairy/soy products.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Just got some MyProtein Impact Whey Isolate. Got salted caramel and it ended up being pretty good, IMO. Has decent enough macros, IMO.
monarch
S
Try rice protein...
P.U.T.U
AG
Egg white protein is normally pretty safe and is pretty efficient, worth a shot.

In my opinion protein powder is a supplement that most people do not need, yes some people need it and it is easy to drink but real food is king. I know several 230+ pound people that are pretty jacked that never take protein powder.
P.U.T.U
AG
Unthought Known said:

The macros on this are awesome. It's how they get there if all you are concerned about is macros it's fine. I do know some people that believe those are the end all be all and whatever it takes to get there.

But a good role of thumb for healthy eating is eat things on the label you don't have to google.

That is one huge ingredient list for "100" calories.
zip04
AG
The quality of your protein shakes could be part of the problem. Also, a lot of protein has digestive enzymes and it may take your body a bit of time to get used to it (i.e. a lot of gas, "horrid poops," etc for a bit).

This is great protein, both in flavor (all except the strawberry banana) and quality.

Intek Protein Evolution
JOEYGYM
Try Precision Protein:
http://www.samedaysupplements.com/precision-protein-by-gaspari-nutrition.html
It has the digestive enzymes in it.
culdeus
AG
Hoosegow said:

1. Protein is food. It is one of 3 macronutrients- the other 2 being fats and carbohydrates.
2. 40g of protein is roughly 160 calories.depending on what your goal is, 160 extra calories ain't jack.
3. Of course waste is pooped out. If your body doesn't need it, it is going to poop it out.
4. I think you are trying to say something here - you just aren't being clear.

As for your energy consumption on work/rest days, it is a lot of work and a lot of guessing on how much you need. You can try and balance according to your needs. I eat very few carbs during the week. I have a ton on squat day - Saturday - because I know I'll need the energy.

Here's my situation. I'm either a hard gainer or a lazy eater. I usually cycle between two different protocols.

High rep split routine 4 months 5-6x a week
Stronglift 5x5 4 months 3x a week

My confusion comes with calories. I find it far easier to gain weight doing a split routine. And that's with more actual time in the gym than on 5x5. While doing 5x5 I find it nearly impossible to put on serious weight and if I don't watch out I'll start to cut down a bit.

I also hate to waste food, and also hate the feeling of forcing myself to eat. I feel like on 5x5 I often find myself forcing myself to eat on rest days when I'm not hungry. I'd rather not do this, A) because it feels bad, and B) it seems wasteful. I find myself towards the 3rd and 4th month leaning towards weight gainers just to keep it on.

On split routine months I can get away with a lot less food and still make some gains.

I'd rather not be dropping 50 bucks a month in whey powder if I didn't have to. If I thought I could get away with less food or cheaper food I'd do it. It does seem most of the literature and research out there is leaning towards the fact that unless you are on prep you can go fairly high carb and be fine without taking in 200g of protein a day and save a little scrilla in the process..
Pale Rider
AG
I have a super sensitive stomach. I probably tried 8-10 whey proteins over the past 3-4 years and they all gave me unpleasant issues.

I then tried non whey alternatives (egg, plant based, etc) and frankly they all were freaking terrible.

About a year ago I stumbled upon the Optimum Nutrition "Hyrdo Whey". Basically it's broken down more for faster absorption - but that also means its not hard on the gut.

https://amzn.com/B002QZN8JW

If you read through the comments you'll notice that probably half the people switched to it specifically because they couldn't handle anything else. A lot of people with similar issues to what we have.

Downside is its more expensive, but worth it IMO.
P.U.T.U
AG
How much do you weigh and what kind of weights are you lifting? If you are not gaining muscle focus on high density foods like steak, nut butters, whole fat greek yogurt, etc. that are high in calories and protein.
culdeus
AG
Anyone have the actual abstract of the ASCM report on meal timing? It's been reported in the news now and then, but haven't seen the full research material.

http://www.athleticsweekly.com/featured/time-your-protein-intake-47895

These are the type of things that to me, make more sense, logically. I always worry that there is a upper limit above which protein either gets wasted as poop, or else consumed as calories, rather than growing muscle and you shouldn't overwhelm the body with it all at once.

I've had much more success eating less total protein, but rather smaller amounts spaced out consistently through the day than larger amounts at meal times.

If you look at someone like The Rock, he eats a relatively small amount of protein every 2-3 hours. These are the plans that seem to make some sense to me. It's the Xg/# plans and get it anyway you can which at least in a sense seem dubious to me, though I'd like to think at some point the research will show which is more effective.
Hoosegow
You are way over thinking it. For the average Joe, macro nutrient breakdown and just cleaning up the diet is way more important than timing. And also, you can't compare the average person to someone who is using chemical enhancements.
shano0603
AG
Use protein powder as a tool to increase protein intake, or for a convenient meal. But don't think of it as a necessity. Your body likes 30g of protein from chicken much more than from a powder. Use it if you need it, but don't think you have to.

about 1g/pound of body weight is about right if you're in decent shape. Everyone is different, some need more. And as far as meal timing, it doesn't really have an effect on gaining/losing weight. For me, it's energy levels and how I feel. If I eat too late at night, I don't sleep well and feel crummy when I wake up... Also, if i eat too much during a single meal, I get tired. So for me, I spread my meals out to prevent that.
culdeus
AG
@hoosegow It seems to me like there has to be some element to it. I've had periods of great success not just spamming food, but being a bit more selective about timing and lifting.

I think that there must be a point at which protein intake in a given timeframe either exceeds your body to be able to use it for muscle growth (just used for energy), or else use it at all (poop). Both of these aren't ideal and may lead to excess expense if nothing else, and exposure to gut irritation at worst.

It would not shock me to see that 6 meals with 20g protein and macros somewhat centered around a bulk/cut framework is better than 3 meals of 80g spaced out with maybe a snack or two here and there.

And it's still not clear if someone should just be spamming food on a rest day or not. These are things that seemingly can be solved by science, not broscience with the available tools we have today.
Hoosegow
I didn't say there wasn't some element to it. What I said was for most people it isn't that important. Body builders who are leaning out and trying to maintain as much mass as they can, elite athletes who need a highly timed diet to meet nutrient demands, etc. I understand being concerned. For the rest of us, it really isn't that important.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
i'm starting to think your adamant and reoccurring issue with poop is downright freudian.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.