Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Struggling with long runs

2,115 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Smokedraw01
Presley OBannons Sword
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm training for a December marathon, and up until last weekend everything was going fine. Was supposed to do twelve last weekend, but really started hurting around seven, struggled my way to ten and hung it up. Thought maybe it was the humidity and heat, so I tried to do thirteen today on a treadmill, and the same thing happened. Right around seven I just started hurting really bad. Quit at eight. I think I'm eating enough and I know I'm hydrated. I'm at a loss and getting very frustrated.
bigtruckguy3500
I'm not as experienced as many here, but my suggestion would be to take a whole week off and then pull back on your mileage a little bit. If, for example, after a week off you start back at 8 mile runs and they go ok, you should be able to get back up to 12/13 faster this time around than last time around.

Rather than sequentially increasing your mileage every time you go out, I recommend a more wavy approach. For example, go from 5 miles to 6, then to 5, then 7, then 6, then 8, etc. And don't be afraid to hang out at a certain mileage, or even pull back, for a little while if you think you're wearing yourself out.
Presley OBannons Sword
That's essentially what I'm doing already. I'm running Higdon's novice 1, which doesn't have really high miles to begin with. I've already finished a ten miler with relative ease, so i don't get why these are hurting so bad after seven-ish miles now.
The Pilot
AG
Slow down your pace, especially if you are having problems finishing them
Presley OBannons Sword
Much slower and I'll be walking.
P.U.T.U
AG
Agreed, slow your race and also think about a run/walk strategy.
montegobay
Don't discount the fact that it is stupid hot and humid right now. I'm training for my third marathon and I'm SLOW now with frequent walking, but it will get substantially better as it cools down. As Hal Higdon says, don't be afraid to walk as long as you finish your miles.
Frozen Concoction
Lots of good advice here. Slow down. Walk if you have to for now. It's stupidly hot and humid. It will get easier once the heat breaks.
coop-aero-06
AG
What is your long run pace compared to your mid-week run pace?

I remember when I first started running and I was using Higdon, I would run those mid-week 4-6 milers as hard as I could. And then I would have to slow way down to finish a long run on the weekend. This is pure speculation, but I would bet you're running too fast on your mid-week runs and since you're used to that pace, slowing down to a more appropriate pace for your long run feels like a crawl.
Rudyjax
AG
Pilot and p.u.t.u have it right. Listen to them.
Satellite of Love
OP, do you foam roll post runs? Is the pain feel like it's your knee area?
wangus12
AG
I was running 9 on Sat. and the humidity was brutal so I dropped a ton of pace and was basically a crawling jog. I've never finished a run that soaked without it actually raining
wcb
AG

quote:
...but really started hurting around seven...

Need more details here. Cardio hurting? Joints hurting? Muscles?

When I first started running > 6 miles my knees would kill me starting around mile 8. I seriously wondered if a half marathon (much less full marathon or IM) would ever be in the cards. It just takes time to slowly build up those supporting muscles once you start going long.
Presley OBannons Sword
hey guys, sorry for the delay without replying, and thanks for all the replies.

when I say "really started hurting" I don't mean joint pain or anything like that. i've been a regular runner (15-20 miles per week) for years, and i've actually completed a marathon before, so I don't think it's an issue of strength development. could be, but i don't think so.

when I say "hurting" I mean like it's hard to breathe, and I'm getting overwhelmingly tired. i've got multiple 7-10 milers done within the last couple months, which is why I cant explain back to back terrible long runs. perhaps it really is just the heat and humidity being really bad the last couple weeks. forecast for this coming weekend looks great, so hopefully that will make the difference.
aznaggiegirl07
AG
quote:
hey guys, sorry for the delay without replying, and thanks for all the replies.

when I say "really started hurting" I don't mean joint pain or anything like that. i've been a regular runner (15-20 miles per week) for years, and i've actually completed a marathon before, so I don't think it's an issue of strength development. could be, but i don't think so.

when I say "hurting" I mean like it's hard to breathe, and I'm getting overwhelmingly tired. i've got multiple 7-10 milers done within the last couple months, which is why I cant explain back to back terrible long runs. perhaps it really is just the heat and humidity being really bad the last couple weeks. forecast for this coming weekend looks great, so hopefully that will make the difference.
hydration ok? electrolytes?
Presley OBannons Sword
yes
wcb
AG
Reevaluate in a few weeks once it cools down.
Rudyjax
AG
It's a typical reaction to a couple of bad runs. You'll be fine.
Presley OBannons Sword
Max06
AG
Are you taking on any mid-run nutrition? Gu, Shotblocks, Stingers, etc.?
Presley OBannons Sword
yeah, those jelly bean things. only stuff that doesn't give me the squirts.
AgPediRPh
AG
The last 2 weekends have been miserable. I probably wouldn't have been able to complete them if I had not started at 530 AM. Especially last weekend; several runners at my trail were cutting their runs short due to the weather. You will be amazed how well you can run once the cool weather arrives.

Presley OBannons Sword
Ok, that's encouraging. My good recent runs have been in the mornings and the two bad ones have been at night. Could be the difference
Presley OBannons Sword
PRed half marathon this morning. Guess it was the extra humidity and heat the last couple weeks after all
91_Aggie
AG
Presley OBannons Sword said:

PRed half marathon this morning. Guess it was the extra humidity and heat the last couple weeks after all

Temps make a huge difference.
Smokedraw01
We call those carbon runs. Gotta have them to make diamonds. The humidity was bad but it appears that fall is finally here.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.