Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Labral tear (hip)

1,345 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Pale Rider
Pale Rider
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wanted to see if anyone else had experience with this?

Thing started to not feel "right" end of last year. I'm pretty active (running, racquetball, stronglifts 5x5) and things slowly just got worse over time, despite taking weeks off, etc.

Well in May it got pretty aggravating, went to the Dr to find out I had a hernia (actually bi-lateral but they didn't figure that out until they went in).

Got that patched up via surgery. Spent 2 months babying myself during recovery etc, finally got to where I felt decent so started to slowly ramp stuff back up.

Not to long after I started running, deep stretching, etc I could feel something (still) wasn't right.

Another trip to the dr and MRI later I found out I have a labral tear in my right hip. No idea how or when I got it or if it was related to the hernia.

Dr said the tear isn't super bad, but due to its location its causing all sorts of symptoms which is driving me nuts.

In the short term, I got a steroid shot in my hip which maybe got me to 75%. Took away most of the pain doing day-to-day activities, but still have range of motion limits and flares up if I try to do any active movements.

So surgery will be in my future. Again.

Just wanted to see if anyone has had such injury or any insight?

I'm going to try to resume running to keep my sanity, but I think until I get it fixed that's all I'll able to handle, anything else seems to aggravate it.
johnmyu
No real insight but following with interest - just diagnosed with same thing last Friday from MRI, plus some disc issues in low back. Been pretty miserable last 8 weeks. Good luck.
WWIICorsair
PaleRider, out of curiosity what were the symptoms regarding your labral tear? I've been experiencing hip issues for a while now also. Orthopedic gave me a cortisone shot and PT this summer for bursitis, which helped a lot but I tried very moderate exercise Monday and it feels like it did before the shot and therapy. He thought I may have a labral tear but wanted to try the shot and therapy first so I didn't have to pay for a possibly unnecessary MRI. I think I may have to get the MRI now and see if there is a more serious problem.
bigtruckguy3500
A co-worker of mine a few years ago had to have it repaired. She was 29 or 30. Recovery is super long. I think she was in a wheelchair for at least 2-3 weeks and crutches for at least another 2 months. Not sure exactly what happened as I moved away at that point.

Also super painful from what I remember her telling me. She was pretty much maxed out on pain meds while in the hospital, and for a while when she got out.
TrimYourMustache
I was diagnosed with femoroacetabular impingement and a labral tear last November. The tear happened sometime leading up to my October marathon. I tried an injection, did physical therapy, and stopped running. Unfortunately the pain in my groin never went away, and it hurt every time I walked up a flight of stairs. For perspective, I am 34 years old and knew I could not deal with the pain the rest of my life.

I ended up having surgery in April to fix the tear and shave down the bone. They had me in physical therapy the next day riding a stationary bike. I was on crutches with no weight bearing on my repaired hip for two weeks and then transitioned off the crutches between weeks 2 - 4. Over the next several months I went to therapy once a week and did a lot of therapy on my own (including a lot of time on the bike). I slowly started running again at the 3 month mark, and now I am 6 months out from surgery and feel great. Obviously results are not always guaranteed but I would definitely opt for the surgery again.
Pale Rider
AG
Wanted to chime in with what I know, my experiences, and also bump the thread.

Regarding symptoms, from my understanding it can be a whole slew of things and each person is different depending on the size of the tear, location, activity levels, etc.

For me, when things are at its best, I describe it as a "catching" feeling - as in my hip/leg is catching and feels like it needs to "pop". That accompanied with some soreness in the hip/groin area on the affected size.

So, on a good day I'll have soreness or mild pain groin/hip area.

Unfortunately, due to my activity level I rarely have what I would call a good day. Doing any level of physical activity beyond walking/sitting, such as yard work, going for a slow jog, etc aggravates it.

When things are flared up, which is now a constant state, the symtoms are:

- Inflammation, mild to moderate swelling, and pain in the groin area (closes to the hip)
- Inflammation and moderate pain in the hip area around the tear area
- When my groin/hip is inflamed, my glute/butt on the affected side gets balled or "knotted up" - I assume my muscles are trying to counter/compensate for whats going on around the tear. When this happens I can foam roll to help the issue, but it won't completely resolve it
- Now, when my glute gets balled up, I start getting really bad lower back pain (on affected side).

Once my glute and back get throw out of whack, oh man, it's not fun. I can't sit, stand, or sleep without being in pain. I'm in agony virtually non stop.

So for me, its not only the pain and issues in the direct area (groin and hip) but it also throws things off in other places. At one point I had the inflammation so bad my entire leg hurt like an SOB!

I got the steroid shot in the hip joint as my Dr recommended. First week it took the edge off and did help with the inflammation. Week 2 I tried to go for a SLOW 2 mile jog..... NOPE.... next day groin/hip were sore, glute balled up, back pain came back....

At the end of the day the tear isn't going to heal, so only real solution is surgery. The recovery time for the surgery, as I was told, depends on how bad the tear is and the location. My doctor told me the that my tear wasn't big (but rather the location of the tear is what was making it very aggravating) so I won't need crutches after surgery; instead just body weight only type of things - no picking up the kids, sudden movements, etc.

In the past few months I've done quite a bit of research on this type of injury, mainly because I like to do due diligence and see how I compare to others. The thing I thought that was most interesting is while one or two of the symptoms are usually the same across the board, the secondary symptoms regarding how it affects your body can be damn near anything. This is because that area has a ton of nerves around it, so when it gets inflamed it can affect really weird things.

Anyways, maybe this will give some insight to you guys. It's def not the worst injury to have, but damn its is a pain in the ass (literally in my case!!!)

Hoping to schedule surgery in December or January because at this point I had to give up running completely.
Pale Rider
AG
Surgery at 10am tomorrow!

I'll update how it goes, for anyone who may stumble/search for this in the future.

Excited to be able to run again. And sleep
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.