Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Solving cancer

1,484 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Rudyjax
Pinata Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Question is, will pharm companies allow this to happen?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/09/20/microsoft-will-solve-cancer-within-10-years-by-reprogramming-dis/

rilloaggie
AG
I'll bite, against my better judgement...

Why would a pharmaceutical company not love this? They could help fund this and *gasp* make money! I would love to be the person who could spend some money and have my company's name on the cure for cancer. I guess you may be the type of person that believes Ford and Chevy have had that 100mpg carburetor locked up in a vault since the thirties too though...

In all likelihood the biggest hurdle this type of technology would have to clear is something like the FDA making approval a huge nightmare. See the epipen issues right now. There are products that do the same thing but the FDA hasn't approved them to administer the same medicine as epipen. Another issue I could see would be something like obamacare not paying for it because good old fashioned chemo is a cheaper treatment. Government is nearly the biggest hurdle to any new innovation these days. Not the same industries but look at Uber, AirBnB, and other products that people prefer to use than the existing options. Govt. has tried to shut them down in many cities because they aren't getting their cut.

The second biggest challenge to overcome is the people that believe the big pharma conspiracies. Maybe this will cure cancer but then what will the little machines do? Re-program brain cells to let the government mind control you? The anti vaccine, chemtrails, anti-gmo, flouride mind control crowd would probably crap themselves at the thought of smart technology being injected into people.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
quote:

Why would a pharmaceutical company not love this? They could help fund this and *gasp* make money! I would love to be the person who could spend some money and have my company's name on the cure for cancer. I guess you may be the type of person that believes Ford and Chevy have had that 100mpg carburetor locked up in a vault since the thirties too though...

In all likelihood the biggest hurdle this type of technology would have to clear is something like the FDA making approval a huge nightmare. See the epipen issues right now. There are products that do the same thing but the FDA hasn't approved them to administer the same medicine as epipen. Another issue I could see would be something like obamacare not paying for it because good old fashioned chemo is a cheaper treatment. Government is nearly the biggest hurdle to any new innovation these days. Not the same industries but look at Uber, AirBnB, and other products that people prefer to use than the existing options. Govt. has tried to shut them down in many cities because they aren't getting their cut.

The second biggest challenge to overcome is the people that believe the big pharma conspiracies. Maybe this will cure cancer but then what will the little machines do? Re-program brain cells to let the government mind control you? The anti vaccine, chemtrails, anti-gmo, flouride mind control crowd would probably crap themselves at the thought of smart technology being injected into people.

I like that you come out defending companies against people that think they're only in it for money, then lead into Epipen with your next point.

I do think you made some good arguments, just had a little fun with the contrast there.
rilloaggie
AG
quote:
quote:

I like that you come out defending companies against people that think they're only in it for money, then lead into Epipen with your next point.

I do think you made some good arguments, just had a little fun with the contrast there.

I don't disagree that it's overpriced, but it's a silly rule from the FDA that keeps people from using a cheaper, different auto-injector for the same medicine. See article below about the FDA not allowing other injectors to be used for epinephrine.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/epipen-users-options-generic-alternate-drugs/story?id=41667390
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Yeah, I read a lot about it a few weeks ago when everything was going down and it definitely made me angry.
txags92
AG
Zero chance "big pharma" would try or be able to stop it, even if they wanted to. I know there are sometimes cases where money gets put ahead of things...but denying people access to a cure for cancer would be pure evil. And I simply don't believe that level of pure evil would ever be allowed to stand in the medical community. Too many good docs out there that would take it down...
Pinata Man
If something like this happened - what would happen to places like MD Anderson? Would they turn into a more primary care facility?
Rudyjax
AG
I work with big pharma. They want to save people lives. The idea of a conspiracy is ludicrous.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.