Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Becoming a personal training using home gym

2,007 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by UndergroundAg
newhowdyag2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have a gym attached to my garage (has a/c) with all the equipment you'd need (powerblocks up to 90lbs, smith machine, squat rack, treadmill, etc).

I have a couple successful transformations of people who asked to work out with me at the gym in the past (best example is a fatty who couldn't bench 185lbs and squat was ATROCIOUS to benching 315 and squating 350 while reducing bf to the 10% range...took almost two years to get him there).

Ive been thinking to get a PT cert and trying to train from my home gym in Conroe. Any suggestions/advice? I think the biggest thing is insurance coverage for my self (create an LLC to protect my assets?).
Counterpoint
AG
quote:
I have a gym attached to my garage (has a/c) with all the equipment you'd need (powerblocks up to 90lbs, smith machine, squat rack, treadmill, etc).

I have a couple successful transformations of people who asked to work out with me at the gym in the past (best example is a fatty who couldn't bench 185lbs and squat was ATROCIOUS to benching 315 and squating 350 while reducing bf to the 10% range...took almost two years to get him there).

Ive been thinking to get a PT cert and trying to train from my home gym in Conroe. Any suggestions/advice? I think the biggest thing is insurance coverage for my self (create an LLC to protect my assets?).
My only suggestion/advice is to not call your potential clients fatties!
Canyon99
Good luck with your new endeavor, *******!
newhowdyag2004
Aye!! He was a friend and therefore I joked around calling him a fatty!! Heck, he passed me up and is leaner and stronger tha me now (although his squat has gone to crap again since he left the company and we work out at different times). I know y'all are givinge a hard time, but I have had a few people thank me for being patient and positive with them while others would give up.

Soooooo, any advice on advertising, etc? I got an insurance quote for $510 a year for $1mm coverage so that isn't too bad.
FW Declerk
quote:

i chuckled at the fatty part.
Hoosegow
The best advertising is word of mouth, but you don't have any clients and you are not at a gym where new clients can be referred to you. You also don't really have a history of clients to pull from to where you can point to a long list of success.

Consequently, you are in danger of becoming the creepy clown asking people over to your house - once again this could be avoided if you had word of mouth advertising.

If you were a woman you could avoid the creepy clown scenario and advertise to women that you do private training where you won't be ogled or judged. As you are a man, you would come across once again as creepy. Unfortunately, this is a double standard with men (one of the few that doesn't benefit the male). Advertising to random dudes for a private workout is still creepy.

Now, if you were an accomplished person in fitness, bodybuilding, powerlifting, strongman, or even a strength and conditioning coach, you could advertise that.

Since you are not and if training is what you want to do, you need to build your client base up from a public gym.
newhowdyag2004
Thank you Hoose. What I read is it will be hard, so I will have try harder.
02skiag
AG
Hoose makes very good points. But I think there are a lot of positives over training in a Gym.

-no gym membership required
-privacy of a home vs gym
-can train during typical peak hours without fighting gym crowds
newhowdyag2004
I have 6 acres, so I'll also look into groups classes (boot camp). The insurance policy would also insure me to train people in their homes as well.

I understand it will be slow going at first, but this isn't a main source of income. I have the opportunity with a nice home gym and I have helped people throughout the years. At work I'm known as the "don't offer him anything bad bc he won't eat it guy" and the go to for advice guy. So there could be an opportunity there as well as teachers at my wife's school (she leads a Monday beach body workout after school in the cafeteria).
The Pilot
AG
Get your PT certification. Right or wrong, some people will overlook you simply bc of lack of certificate.
Rudyjax
AG
Definitely get a certification.
newhowdyag2004
Yes, I was thinking NASM.
Rudyjax
AG
That's what I got. It has a ton of science and less of working out.

I have no biology background or none since the 80s so it took me a bit to get thru it.

I have heard others are easier.
91_Aggie
AG
quote:
Thank you Hoose. What I read is it will be hard, so I will have try harder.
you also may want to avoid using terms like 'hard' and 'harder' in your advertising (to avoid the creepy man factor).
newhowdyag2004
So stay away from veiny as well?
Rudyjax
AG
And throbbing.
UndergroundAg
Probably also stretching....
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.