Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Gallbladder Removal

1,807 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Player To Be Named Later
Player To Be Named Later
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I had a HIDA scan last week that showed my gallbladder functioning at 8%. An ultrasound and CT before that had not shown any gallstones. So am I correct to assume it's functioning at 8% due to sludgy bile? They did say I have a fatty liver, so I guess that is what caused the gallbladder problem.

My question is this, they obviously have told me I need to have my gallbladder removed.... is there anything I can do to reverse the gallbladder issue and get it functioning again via diet and lifestyle change? Or is removal honestly the best thing for me? I hate to have it removed if it isn't absolutely necessary.

Thanks!
twinmom'97
AG
Similar situation here. Mine was 19%. Dr recommended removal, but that was 2 years ago. I haven't taken the time off to have it done, too many other priorities and it wasn't bothering me. I asked my gastrointestinal Dr if I should get retested since it wasn't bothering me. His said it would only change a point or two, not enough to tell me to not have it taken out. I'm probably going to schedule mine sooner rather than wait much longer. I would rather schedule a time and Dr I prefer than have emergency surgery when it decides to protest. My dad's was on the verge of disintegration when they figured out what was causing him to turn jaundice yellow at 60 + years old.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
So am I correct in my understanding that it really isn't going to improve much over time from the current 8% that it's at, regardless of diet changes?

Granted, I know I need to change my diet/lifestyle regardless.... but will that not reverse the low gallbladder function?
bigtruckguy3500
I think they used the wrong term in explaining it to you. Unless I'm mistaken, they should have used said your gallbladder ejection fraction was 8%, not it's function was 8%. It sounds like biliary dyskinesia. Basically when your gallbladder should contract and squeeze out the bile, it isn't squeezing sufficienty or in a coordinated matter to push out the bile. Ultrasound can usually pick up sludge.

If I'm not mistaken, diet/lifestyle will not improve this. Technically, if you're not having fatty, foul smelling stools, diarrhea w/ fatty meals, and/or bad abdominal pain with fatty meals, you probably don't need to get it taken out. If US didn't find any stones, chance of an acute blockage and infection of the gallbladder is pretty slim. If you've been having some low level indigestion and general discomfort, your gallbladder may be the cause. If you're at an 8% ejection fraction right now then your body has probably adapted to not really needing your gallbladder anymore.

If you're having symptoms, try adjusting your diet and see if symptoms improve. If they do, then don't get the surgery.

Player To Be Named Later
AG
Correct, the ejection rate is 8%. I initially went to the ER because for almost a week I was having periodic serious pain. It was so bad that I had to get out of my car and stand up at work a few times. Of course, since the ER trip, I've had discomfort but nothing like that.

I do get semi frequent diarrhea and stomach pain. But I had a Nissen Fundoplication for reflux a few years back, and didn't know if that just wasn't part of life after that procedure.

I just don't want to have it taken out and regret it.
bigtruckguy3500
Best to talk with your PCP about it before speaking with a surgeon about it. Your PCP can evaluate your other medical issues and give advice, and a surgeon can evaluate your symptoms and tell you if they think removing it will help your symptoms.

Gallbladder surgery is a super common surgery, it's usually done laparoscopically, so you'll only get 3 tiny scars on your belly, and won't have to spend the night in the hospital if you go early enough in the day. If its only got an 8% EF, then I'm not really sure you'll miss it.

Personally, I think if you can adjust your diet to alleviate your symptoms, that would be the best option.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
It was my gastroenterologist that recommended that I have it removed. His office called me the same day that I had the HIDA scan done to tell me it needed to come out. Kinda bugs me that they would just tell me that without going into reasons why they suggest having it removed.
bigtruckguy3500
Definitely try and figure out why they said it "has to" come out. But again, if you can manage/tolerate the symptoms, I don't think you need it out. If the symptoms you've been having are solely due to biliary dyskinesia, it's +/- on whether taking it out would 100% relieve your symptoms. But I also don't know your full medical history, and even if I did, I'm not an expert on this topic. If you go to a trustworthy surgeon, they have old patients they can reference and say "I took out this guy's gallbladder with a similar history, and he did (or did not) improve.
Texas Ag Mom
For what it is worth....my mom & my sister have had theirs out. Absolutely cleared up their issues w/zero side effects.
Counterpoint
AG
What symptoms have you been experiencing? I've had a HIDA scan and some other scan (can't remember the name but it was in an MRI machine), and the results were mixed, so I'm not sure what I should do.
wangus12
AG
The two most common surgeries I see with my patients are the vasectomy and the cholecystectomy. Agree with everyone though, I would see why they want it out. I usually tell folks that cutting is and almost always should be considered a last resort.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
The main symptoms I have experienced are off and on dull pain in my upper right abdomen..... then I had a week where the pain in that area, and my back, was so bad I eventually went to the ER. That's where they did the ultrasound and CT and found no gallstones. The ER had me follow up with the gastro, who ordered the HIDA scan then recommended that I have it removed.

Of course, all I got from my gastro was a phone call from their front desk or nurse that I needed it removed, and passed me on to the surgeon without telling me why.

And, of course, since that ER trip I haven't had any serious or severe symptoms.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Would you suggest getting a 2nd opinion with a different gastroenterologist, or try to make an appt with my Dr that recommended having it removed?
cbminers
AG
I was in a similar situation to yours about 5 years ago. My ejection fraction was ~10% with a single large stone visible on CT and Ultrasound. The stone was "too large to clog up any ducts" but my doc encouraged me to schedule the surgery at my convenience. About 2 years later I got sick as a dog, throwing up, fever, etc. I turn up to the doctor's office that afternoon to learn that i have a "tinge" of pancreatitis and the gallbladder needs to come out stat. A few days later I felt like a million bucks but I wish I had read up on the risks of not having it removed. I feel like I got really lucky to not get a more serious case of pancreatitis. It can have long lasting and downright awful repercussions.

Just some food for thought. As several others have noted, you are basically living without it already. Weigh the risks of leaving it in there against the risks of having it removed.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Yeah, agreed on the living without it already. I've decided to go ahead and schedule a time to get it removed.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.