Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Swelling in heal near Achilles Tendon

750 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by bigtruckguy3500
Ewok It Out08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
About 10 days ago, I hit what I hope is the peak of an ulcerative colitis flare. At the time, the docs put me on two antibiotics (one being cipro) and prednisone. Since, I've developed swelling in my heal and sharp pains that extend from my heal to the top of my calf. Is this a result of the meds? How should I help manage this pain and have any others dealt with this? I'm seeing at least my GI tomorrow and will persue it further but wanted to see what I should do in the meantime.
txags92
AG
Sounds like Achilles tendinitis to me. Have you been trying to run or workout while on the antibiotics? Some antibiotics weaken tendons as a side effect and can make them tear easily.
Ewok It Out08
AG
No, I have only been sitting and very occasionally walking around the house. I lost 17 pounds (160-143) and felt too sick/weak to do anything. Much better overall now except for this new issue.
bigtruckguy3500
Did you do anything that put a hard strain on your achilles? Cipro can cause defects in collagen formation (which is what the tendons are made of) and prednisone can slow healing of acute muscle/tendon damage. One of the reasons they tell you not to run/lift weights when on Cipro is because you can get a tendon rupture. But you haven't been doing that, so I'm not sure. I'd definitely bring it up with your GI, maybe even see your PCP if it doesn't resolve soon. In the mean time, I'd RICE it and try not to load the tendon much.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.