Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Ultra watches

1,719 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by GIGEMeh
RockOn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just signed up for the Zion 100k. I assume I'll get close to the 20 hr cutoff and my garmin 235 only lasts 10 hours. I'm in the market for an ultra/hiking gps watch. Anyone have an opinion on garmin Felix or Shinto ambit lines? My main consideration is gps accuracy and battery life.
GIGEMeh
I haven't stressed the battery life, but I'm pretty damn pleased with the Fenix 3 HR. I am, however, one who wanted the ability to write apps/widgets, and that played a part in the decision.
Rudyjax
AG
quote:
I haven't stressed the battery life, but I'm pretty damn pleased with the Fenix 3 HR. I am, however, one who wanted the ability to write apps/widgets, and that played a part in the decision.

Can you write an app that is for a bootcamp?
GIGEMeh
What would said app need to do?

The only app I wrote that I actually use just talks to my Tanita scale (grumble grumble grumble) and sends the results to a local server.
Rudyjax
AG
It would register HR, calorie burn, steps and distance. Similar to the walking function, but just categories it as a boot camp.
GIGEMeh
You certainly could, but I'm not sure it would be worth the effort. Any app can make use of any of the available sensors, and they can write FIT files to allow the workout to be synced. However, I think you'd have to make the UI, since it doesn't seem that you can just inherit from another sport and use that UI. I *thought* you could do that, but I was unable to find mention of it when searching today.
AggieOO
back to the OP. What you want to do is find a model that allows charging while its tracking. Then you can take a small battery pack and charge on the go. Then drop the battery as soon as you get back to your drop bag, start/finish, crew, friend, etc. Watches seem to be about 50/50 on allowing charging while tracking.
Endo Ag
AG
Fenix 3 will allow tracking and charging, and also has an ultra-trackmode that will last, though you likely won't be happy with the data unless you are steady pace on a straight line. It basically turns on the gps for a few seconds per minute.
MarathonAg12
Garmin 920XT!
Jim01
AG
Love my Fenix 3. Had it pretty much since release. Worked great at IMTX and lasted the entire race.

GIGEMeh
Unthought Known said:

It would register HR, calorie burn, steps and distance. Similar to the walking function, but just categories it as a boot camp.

This may answer your question:

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/fenix3/EN-US/GUID-CD46FA03-8AA9-450A-A568-E47B40B79E8C.html
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.