Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

I'm sure this has been discussed so forgive me. Would like excercise advice

3,085 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Reload8098
Reload8098
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm 5'8, 193 and need to lose at least 25lbs. I'm embarrassed to say have a black belt in Taekwando. I've got a bad rotator cuff in right arm eBay I never had surgical repaired due to the horror stories.
I'd appreciate any advice as I really need to lose this weight for my own long term health. Thanks.
MarleyFeed97
AG
Hard to offer much direct and specific advice without more info on ur situation... What are you willing/able to do? What r ur resources (home gym, globo gym, CF)?

Regardless of the above answers u can start with cleaning up the diet, walking/running/swimming (maybe yoga) to start burning calories and build cardiovascular endurance before integrating resistance training.

Depending on severity of shoulder issue u can do some rehab movements and work around the rot cuff issue probably with modified movements
91_Aggie
AG
Here's what I've been doing for the last 3 months (but mind you I like to run).

30 minutes of cardio either early in the morning or at lunch.

50-60 minutes of cardio after dinner.

every other day I do 3 sets of 5 different ab/lower back exercises (each exercise targets a different area of the core... upper abs, lower abs, obliques, transabdominal and lower back... stolen from the Abs Diet book... back of the book).

For breakfast I've been eating either a healthier type of cereal with fresh fruit added or 2 packets of flavored instant oatmeal with fresh fruit added and coffee with milk.

For lunch, i eat a turkey wrap (whole wheat wrap, turkey breast (one slice from deli), one slice of cheese (I like gouda, but whatever you like), tomatoes, spinach or romaine lettuce, half a avocado on sandwich, other half I eat during lunch), and one serving of whatever chips I have on hand. Piece of fruit afterwards (nectarine, orange, apple).

For Dinner, ONE serving of whatever my wife makes. She usually cooks somewhat healthy, but no matter what it is, ONE serving.

Fruit/nuts for snacks.

Surprisingly I've never felt like I'm depriving myself.

I'm 47 so my metabolism is slowing. I've lost 30 in the last three months... but back in 2001 I lost 40 pounds in 2.5 months doing less exercise and eating a little worse than what I've outlined above.

You need to get a good mindset to do the above. Make a plan... write it down. check it every day... motivate yourself to keep going. Seeing the results for me has kept me motivated, I'm wearing pants and shorts now that are loose on me that I could literally not pull up all the way before.
hph6203
AG
Shoulder injuries are some of the most common injuries in swimmers, and that's with people that actually know how to swim, so I'd say swimming is probably not the best choice for someone with pre-existing shoulder issues.
Satellite of Love
How much beer do you drink, or sodas?
Reload8098
AG
I don't drink a lot. Drink a couple of diet drinks a day. Mostly drink water. Work long hours and travel 4-5 nights/week.
shano0603
AG
quote:
I'm 5'8, 193 and need to lose at least 25lbs. I'm embarrassed to say have a black belt in Taekwando. I've got a bad rotator cuff in right arm eBay I never had surgical repaired due to the horror stories.
I'd appreciate any advice as I really need to lose this weight for my own long term health. Thanks.
Expand on your rotator cuff issues. Has a doctor said it's torn? Does it just hurt when you do certain movements? Do you have a lack of mobility?
Reload8098
AG
My Aggie neurologist cousin believes it was a slight tear so he stuck 4 big azz needles in my shoulder and said it was my best option. I didn't ask any questions.
Throwing motion is off. Started on P90x and was doing great after a first tough week and the pain in my right shoulder became so strong I had to quit.
02skiag
AG
For starters, I'd cut out those "diet" drinks. Maybe have a couple a week instead of a day.
backintexas2013
AG
I read a quote the other day and it's so true.

"Love the process. Results will follow."

Find something you love to do as far as exercise and do it. Don't follow a routine on something you hate. You will quit it.
Pahdz
Why are you embarrassed about your TKD? My wife is too and I don't get it, you've earned it.
shano0603
AG
quote:
My Aggie neurologist cousin believes it was a slight tear so he stuck 4 big azz needles in my shoulder and said it was my best option. I didn't ask any questions.
Throwing motion is off. Started on P90x and was doing great after a first tough week and the pain in my right shoulder became so strong I had to quit.
Maybe this site can help narrow down what your issues are.
http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/how-to-self-diagnose-your-shoulder-pain
[url=http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/how-to-self-diagnose-your-shoulder-pain][/url]
I have had plenty of rotator cuff problems, but nothing too serious. Some simple rehab exercises to stretch and strengthen should do wonders if yours isn't serious. Here are some basic ones.

There was also a time I was having issues for months, went and got a deep tissue massage and it worked everything out.

HTH
Reload8098
AG
Thanks for all of the responses.
RedlineAg08
Do you have insurance? If so, stop being a vagina and go get your shoulder looked at NOW.

If you need surgery, get it, do the rehab, and you'll be great and back to karate kicking some ass soon.

Report back with the ortho findings and we'll go from there.

P.U.T.U
AG
I have a torn labram and rotator cuff and the only thing that keeps it from hurting all day is keeping it strong. I started lifting weights again (did triathlons for 5 years) and it was a slow process to lift a decent amount of weight. I do not do any barbell lifts as they put too much stress on my shoulder. I did P90X a few years ago and had to use a dumbbell to change the pushup angle a bit. Same as you I started off just fine but after a few week or two my shoulder was killing me. Using a dumbbell put less stress on my shoulder and I was able to keep working out.

You really just have to find out what works for you. You will not be able to do everything so work around it. Also be sure to warmup your shoulders before every workout. I do this even on leg days since you are putting stress on the joint.
Reload8098
AG
quote:
Do you have insurance? If so, stop being a vagina and go get your shoulder looked at NOW.

If you need surgery, get it, do the rehab, and you'll be great and back to karate kicking some ass soon.

Report back with the ortho findings and we'll go from there.

Well I am what I eat so I'll take that label. I'll look into the ortho.
Reload8098
AG
Thanks PUTU, great advice.
RedlineAg08
You know I'm kidding, but go see an ortho. Surgery or not, you can't even plan around it without knowing what's up.
Reload8098
AG
Hell yes I knew it was in fun, I just took the layup that you gave me.
Rudyjax
AG
If I were you, and weight was my only concern is plug my info into Myfitness pal and follow that. And start walking. Walk an hour plus per day.

The weight will melt away.
P.U.T.U
AG
Unless your hr gets above 120 it is not an efficient use of time
Reload8098
AG
Started on elliptical this week. 55 minutes and 35 Of those minutes HR was above 120. Already feeling better. Only doing small sets of push-ups. 20 push-ups 5x and 15 dips, 4x, 25!lb curls, 8 reps, 3x,
rshackelford
AG
Definitely have your shoulder looked at in a real clinical setting with imaging if you can afford. A brief once over or phone convo isn't sufficient.

Also. If you have shoulder trouble, make sure to keep those elbows tucked on your push-ups and bench press. No flaring. 45 degrees away from the body maximum for your humerus. That will help tremendously
Reload8098
AG
Great advice, thanks rshack.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.