Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Hip tendon or flexor strain?

950 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ttha_aggie_09
ttha_aggie_09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone ever have a hip flexor strain? I am really tight on my hip flexor after and during squats.

I stretch the heck out of my legs 4-5 days a week and can isolate the pain/stretch the exact area when I sit down and placed one leg straight and the other perpendicular and press down on perpendicular leg until it hits floor.

I haven't really changed anything in my workouts other than adding in some heavier box squats after several weeks of progressions into heavier weight.

I'm about to turn 30 and have been lifting for 14 years... This is the first type of hip pain I've ever had.

Could it be the box squats?
My normal squats (completed in multiple sets - progressing up and down with proper form) are completed prior to box squats and then after 2-3 pause sets, I switch to 3 sets of box squats.

Today, my hip was hurting from the start and took it "lighter than normal" and avoided box squats. Sitting here in bed now with the same tightness/pain.

Anyone have any suggestions? I would like to keep working out legs if possible as the pain is not terrible.

What kind of dr. Would you go see if this doesn't get any better?
bigtruckguy3500
Where exactly is the pain, and which component of movement makes the pain worse?

I strained my hip flexor a couple months ago. I actually think over stretching is what did it. But the day after I'd do sit ups it would be really tight, and it would hurt to walk at a brisk pace. Lots of rest from anything lower body helped. No running, no situps, no squats or deadlifts. I also tried to position myself when I slept so that my left hip would be as open as possible for as long as possible. Then I gradually reintroduced lower body isolation work, and I just started situps after about 2 months of not doing them.

If you really want to keep working out legs, I would switch to only isolation work.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
It's inside upper thigh to hip. I can press on the muscle and feel it.

Really rotatational movements with my leg stimulate discomfort. If I lay on a stretching table and do like a dog pee stance it really targets the area of soreness.

It's almost the opposite of a sore IT band but not quite inner groin area.
Hoosegow
Id have to see your form. Use an X-wife
ttha_aggie_09
AG
What's that?
Hoosegow
http://thompsonbarbell.com/index.php/features/body-tempering
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Just for an update:

It's the box squats. No improvement after eliminating box squats for a few weeks and rolled them back in (lightly) yesterday and immediately felt the strain on the hip just as my upward movement starts. Very slow, controlled, straight back form, with weight on heels. For whatever reason that's the cause.

Eliminating from routing and will see if all goes back to normal.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.